Releases You Passed On...& Reasons Why

I never got the sparking thing. :-\ I’ve never bought a titanium with intention to spark it. I’m not worried about damaging anything because I do the doubles thing anyway. I guess I’m just not excited by seeing sparks. I realize it is exciting for some people, but it just never interested me in the slightest.

I’ll add to my list some more. C3 Electric Flash. I bet it plays nice, but I haven’t heard that much about it on the board. It has my specs and my colors, just didn’t seem to make a lot of noise, and was almost forgotten…until now. It appears to be selling just fine without me though.

@MikeEff…very generous of you. But, I’m paranoid about throwing other people’s stuff, so I won’t take you up on your offer. That is very kind of you though…as usual. On the Benchmarks, never say never. :wink: You might have to post those 12 Burnsides in the twins thread…I’d love to see that bunch. The Burnside is in my top 12 mains case, I have 2, and the Genesis is also a favorite, I have 5 of them, so I suspect that we like a lot of the same stuff. Also, Hatchet is my next buy. :slight_smile:

I passed on the puffin 2 because my mom got mad at me for buying too many yoyos lol I also begrudgingly passed on the canvas

-Dylan

Here you go  :smiley:

I passed up on all of these because of the lack of money:

Benchmark
Yeti
Level 6
Electric Flash
Captivate
New color XLR8’s

I did how ever snag a set of New run Dbacks for a great price from JD. I’m using them as a competition set when (if) I head off to PNWR with him. I have $240 collecting $60 soon and getting $20 from Mason. Shold have enough and like $80 left over if I cut down on spending. But for the most part I’m good with $200.

I was curious if you got all the good ones, Thunderstorm, broken heart, YYE Edition…and you didn’t miss one.  They look gorgeous.  I’m glad you posted them.  You even made your favorite red/blue Hatrick looking combo.  :wink:

Almost all of them. I get 2-3 yoyos a year so I have to make them count.

On what basis do you choose those 2 or 3? Based on hype, you tried someone else’s and liked it, a certain company…specs maybe? That’s even more interesting because you have to reject most of them and choose a selected few on some basis or another.

Or, is someone randomly gifting you 3 random throws that you didn’t choose? What 3 did you get last year? I’m dying to know.

I’ll add a couple more of mine:

CLYW Cliff - I don’t know why, but I’ve put this off forever. This remains one of my most-wanted but most-put-off throws since I started yoyoing. I really want one, but all the complaints I’ve heard about it hurting middle fingers on a return coupled with the large-ish price tag has just been enough to keep me away. The perculiar shape is an interesting gimmick, but as I learned with the MVP2, a strange shape isn’t always a good thing. I’ve put that thing in my shopping cart so many times and just never pulled the trigger. I’ve put it off for so long that it’s become this big deal, and now it looks like they’re out of stock and never to be made again…

Yoyofactory Shutter - I wanted one since they came out, and can afford one, but I just can’t warrant the purchase. I know it’s a “great throw for the price”, but when you own things like the Draupnir/Sleipnir/Doomsday Genesis, I can’t warrant getting a budget throw that I know just isn’t going to be as good, nor probably going to feel different enough to bring anything new to the table. It’s a shame because that silver one is so nice.

Yoyofactory Ricochet - I was SO close on this one. It was the black friday sale, I had it in my cart, I got to the “confirm order” part but then I just couldn’t do it. The main reason was that I’m not the biggest fan of undersized/smaller throws. I’ve tried some that I loved (OD Yelets, YYR Blink), but others I just haven’t enjoyed at all (YYF Yuuksta, YYF Skyline). Even with the sale, dropping $160 (not including shipping) on a yoyo that you don’t know whether you’ll enjoy or not seemed a risky move. I’d love to own a TI throw one day though…

One of the biggest reasons I tend to pass on throws is due to the fact I live in the UK. Knowing that you’re gonna have to pay an extra $40+ on shipping/customs on any yoyo you buy from YYE means that the only time I ever buy from here is if I’m doing a bulk order, which isn’t often.

That and I’m a classic man… afraid of commitment (am I right sisters?!). I put it all in my cart, go through the checkout, but then when I look at the final amount and the “Place order” button, I just can’t. =P

Yeah, the Anglam is way overpriced. The Hex has titanium rings and is only 120 USD!

@ Gambit
All great throws, some of my favorites, big time. I fully understand though, why circumstances might dictate the purchases not being “smart” ones. International shipping is huge, and when the specs just don’t suit you, no matter how good it is, it’s really about whether you might enjoy it.

I took the liberty of writing down last year’s releases, based on YYE Instagram. So these are the ones they advertised as drops on there. Some didn’t need a push anyway, and sold out immediately, which is probably why they don’t appear here. A few might be restocks, but I tried to weed those out. I’m sure some were pushed on Facebook instead. I put stars beside the ones I bought retail…not BST:

Diffusion
2.0 *
BvM2 *
Ricochet *
Hex
Sakura
Summit *
Sense
CZM84VK
Triton
Dibase2
Flow
Hornet
Sine Saw
Stacked Catalyst
Rockefeller
Megatron *
Chik
Krown
Crazy D
Hour
Rally *
Magnetude
Crossfire
Forte
New Superstar
Quantum
Currier
Minute
Format C
Speedaholic
Benchmarks
Heavy Hitter Type S
RT
Yeti
Basilisk Light
Isotope
Positron 2
Blood Brothers 2 *
Glitch
Heavy Hitter 3
Quake
Aeronaut
Electric Flash
Shutter *
Turner
Prodigy
Chronicle
Emmett
Rex

There about 50 on the list, and even if another 50 were released, that’s not a lot of yo-yos for all these manufacturers that exist. I wish there was an easier way to get a complete list. I would guess it’s actually between 75 and 100.

@Zort Commander
Hex is on the radar. :wink:

I’m not so sure I “passed” on most of that list. I think I just never paid that much attention to them in the first place. Maybe those I noticed it was certain brands I don’t typically buy, certain styles 2A, 4A, or it didn’t get enough hype. :-\

^
Yeah, it’s is amazing.

It wasn’t a release I passed up on, it was a sale. I emailed a guy regarding his USA hatrick. He said it was mine for $300. I simply didn’t have the money to spend. I know a lot of you want the USA hatrick so if you want the guys email just PM me.

The guy with that USA hatrick bailed out on so many people after the deals were made just to get a dime more

Well, I buy almost no metal yo-yos since I got on Yoyofficer team, just expanding my plastic collection. But I’m still always thinking " I want this, I would love to buy this, but I dont need it and I can save money :slight_smile: ", so take this as list of things I was excited about, but after some time I decided I never want to buy them.

Yoyofactory Aviator, Turning Point Paranoid, C3 Electric Fash - All three yo-yos signature models for my favorite yo-yoers.
Aviator is just another standard YYF higher end model, great for contests, universal, but shape is too rounded for my hands. Prefered new Superstar.
I love some TP models, for me they are one of best yoyos in the world, but I dont feel Paranoid is on same level.
I was not big fan of C3 in past, but their new models really changed my opinion. P.wave is great, Krown is probably my most favorite yo-yo on market. Both combines great aspects of C3 standards - speed, stability and long sleep with great lighter unique feel. Electric is just step back to older designs, just too heavy and boring.

Draupnir - After big hype, I was happy to try it at Polish Nationals, but it dissapointed me. Maybe it was caused by some weird setting guy was using, but until someone let me try it again, it’s no-buy for me.

Adegle Accel, GT Trump - Just because someone makes yo-yo with steel ring, doesnt mean it’s as good as others(even though my standards for steel ring yo-yos are set really high with Turning Point models)

Benchmarks - At first, I was happy to see them, mainly because more people will have opportunity to try OD(I’m still big fan). I’m looking forward to trying them(hopefully this weekend), to see how they differ. But I will never buy them, I dont want simple and cheap yo-yo from One Drop, I want some High-end throw, like awesome Valor.

Yelets - I think my Caferacer is serving same role as Yelets and cost less. No reason to buy.

True that. I bought a GT Trump recently for £50 (~$75 or something) and I was slightly dissapointed. Came with vibe out of the box (which I have been unable to tune out), and despite the stainless steel rings, doesn’t even have the same spin as a lot of all-aluminium throws I have. Also the axle is very “creaky” when being screwed/unscrewed, which is somewhat unsettling.

[Disclaimer: Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care about vibe in the slightest. However I know that other people might, which is why I mention it.]

The way I see it, the only real reason to start using bi-material and weight rings is to achieve something that you wouldn’t be able to do with just aluminium. From my experience, the GT Trump is a stainless steel weight ringed yoyo that feels and looks a bit like the Sleipnir, yet has rings run around it by the afore mentioned all-aluminium YYR.

I guess it just shows that design > material.

I actually own a few Yelets, but I completely agree. If you own a Cafe Racer already, you’re all set with the pocket throw thing. I was thinking the same thing after owning it.

Interesting list, and comments about the Draupnir especially. No matter how good people say it is, no yo-yo will suit us all.

With Draupnir, it was possibly just unlucky moment. Guy owned two of them, me and Petr Kavka tried both of them and both of us was dissapointed. But Petr told me, there was something off with them, that Draupnirs he tried at worlds was much better. So I still keep hope I will be wowed by it next time I try another.

Puffin 2. I own a case full of YYRs, so i don’t care about performance or competition-worthiness or anything like that anymore, all i want is fun, and no one seemed to describe the Puffin 2 as fun or interesting, just that it played well, which is great, but it’ll never be better than a Draupnir, Laser, or Dazzler, so i needed it to offer something else that i don’t think it does. That’s why i have an Ape-X on the way to me, and why i hope to track down a Seed in that galaxy colorway, because those are unique, and at this point unique and different is most important.

It’s actually super fun. The puffin was one of my favorite throws just because of how fun it is to play, and I don’t have any intention to compete. The puffin 2 has the same feel, just more stable. It has the same moves that the first has, and it should have a permanent spot in my case. Try one out and I’m sure you will buy it :stuck_out_tongue:

Shutter: Heard great things about the the blasted ones, but I played a polished one at a yoyo club (gold ct installed) and was not impressed. Also this happened right when the mystery box promo was announced. I went for the mystery. Not sure if the blasted is that much better than the one I tried.

Rally/Yeti: I already have two protostars. (Different weights). Plus an upgraded classic. I’d love to get a OD or CLYW, but I’ll go for one of there metals. The performance plastic part of my collection is kinda taken up.