Recover from lean?

Old_New_Guy here.

I try to through level and straight every time but I still get a lot of leaning. When my yoyo leans too much I cannot get my binds to work so I just let it fail and then rewind.

Is there a way to recover a yoyo when I do not throw it right and it starts to lean?

Thanks.

2 Likes

You want to mount a trapeze then move your hands perpendicular to the spin, in opposite directions.

For example, if you are in a breakaway trapeze, move one hand closer to you and one hand further from you. If it means the wrong way, change directions of your hand movements.

3 Likes

This video will help a lot and goes over what @adamantiumpops was just talking about

4 Likes

Yeah. I am still very new (and old).

When I land the trapeze, I can usually fix it. But if I miss the trapeze and there is too much lean, I do not know how to recover.

thanks

1 Like

Honestly when I first started this was a problem for me as well but eventually you will spend enough hours of mindlessly throwing you will solve it without even realizing. It will just come with time! I just had a really bad ankle break and post surgery in a cast and have started to play in a chair and am leaning all over again and have to make those small adjustments.

4 Likes

If there’s immediate lean, you probably just need to work on throwing a straighter breakaway, which takes time and practice. Brandon Vu has a great video on this.

Another aspect to focus on is committing to the trick. I’ve found that if I just keep going and fully commit to my movements, the momentum will naturally straighten the yoyo out as I go from one element to the next. This is something to keep in mind as you progress.

5 Likes

Precession is a good word here, and you’ll learn to fix it. As said it becomes an unconscious action with time.

I think the only way to fix it (other than throwing straight) is in a mount—ie you need to use the string to straighten it. I had the same problem for a while, and the way I learned to fix it was by learning the gyroscopic flop. Understanding how the string affects the precession helped me figure out what to do when I had the lean. It’s not just in a trapeze, but I’ve fixed lean in more complex mounts like in magic trick or double or nothing. The flop really helped me understand how to tweak it.

Not sure how I fixed my throw, but it corrected, too. Probably just a lot of throwing and focusing on throwing straight.

3 Likes