Recommendations please...

I’m a 57 year old who has a fascination for yoyos. When I was a kid my dad and I would go to downtown New Orleans to see the Duncan Yoyo Champs perform tricks at the Maison Blanch department store on Canal Street. Since the passing of my Dad I started collecting vintage Duncan Yoyos, I guess it’s a way for me to connect…

Well, enough of that and on to my question. I’ve decided to pick up a yoyo again and try doing some string tricks. The advice I was given for a good, moderately priced yoyo for a beginner was a Yoyo Factory Velocity. So, I thought I would post here to see if the “Experts” would concur.

I would definitely agree.

I started playing with unresponsive yoyos last year when I used my 40th birthday money to buy a YoYoJam Lyn Fury and Dark Magic. I have never thrown a Velocity but have read good things. I still enjoy my Lyn and miss my DM (traded). Enjoy.

The velocity is a great yoyo to take you all the way from pure responsive play, to straight unresponsive yumminess.

Okay, so… what else does a newbie need? I’m going to order my yoyo from the folks who sponsor the forum (Natrually!). Do I need any lubricant or anything? Hopefully, there’s no such thing as a stupid question here?

Strings, you might get some thin lube for when you move towards unresponsive play, but definately strings.

You can also try a mid-priced yoyojam in the 40 dollar range (such as dark magic 2 or sr-71) which comes with two bearings: responsive(thin) and speed (size C). Not all yoyojams come with 2 bearings.

I’d say get two extra sets of response pads (total of 4 pads), 100% polyester string x100, and thin lube.

Thanks so much for the responses. I will take your advice…