REALLY Stuck Axle Help!

Alright, so I decided to convert my AoE to unresponsive, but the axle I used was too big. Naturally, I tried to unscrew it, but it just wouldn’t budge for some reason. I then got a vice grip, and squeezed as hard as I could while turning, and it STILL wouldn’t come out (for some reason it got slightly dented during this but it’s still functional). Next, I tried to double nut method, but it somehow STILL wouldn’t budge. Is my yo-yo a lost cause?

1 Like

Pictures Please

(Ignore my super sloppy flowable silicone job)
The axle and seat have a few dents now, but they’re still perfectly functional and feel the same as it was undented.

Can you still fit an Allen key in it?

I tried the Allen key before it was dented, but no luck :frowning:

I would say at this point it would be better to just but anothere AoE.

2 Likes

At this point you have little to lose by grabbing the axle with perhaps a pair of vice grips and forcing it loose. It will destroy the axle and you’ll need a new one but they are easy to come by and cheap. Try not to damage your bearing seat any further though. I think you can still save this one. Then you could still get a new one and use this one as a beater.

1 Like

That’s be the perfect solution! I don’t really need this axle because it doesn’t fit, so o don’t really care about destroying it. Could you elaborate a bit on this method?

Vice grips are pliers that lock closed and allow you to get a good tight grip. At the very least you can use a regular pair of pliers as long as they have larger teeth and not the very fine grip teeth. You just grip the axle hard (the large teeth dig in and grab hold of it) and loosen it. It’s just about using a tool that allows you to get a tight grip on the axle to help overcome its stubborn nature. :grin:

These are vice grips

Or pliers with these type teeth.

Not these

1 Like

Oh, thats what you meant. I already tried that (specifically with a vice grip) but the axle wouldn’t budge (that’s how it got the dents). Is there some kind of technique to it?

Dang. It must really be in there. If no level of force is going to remove that axle then it may be a lost cause. :pensive:

If the axle was too big/wrong size how did you manage to force it in in the first place?

You could try either freezing it then try removing or try applying heat then try removing it. You could also try applying a penetrating oil but don’t apply heat or freeze and oil. You’ll have a bad time.

At this point your getting into the try whatever and hope it maybe survives area of recovery.

1 Like

I just screwed it in like normal, but it wouldn’t come out. I didnt even over tighten it (Heck, I probably UNDERtightened it)!

Question: Is there a way to somehow warp/bend/damage the axle in a way that dislodges the axle without stripping the threads? I don’t really need the axle.

Using the right tool for the job helps.

I know you tried the Allen key which didnt work.

Vice grips “Can” work, but again not the best teeth.

Something like this;

Would be a good option to have. The teeth are angled to bite in the direction you are turning.

This one is available on Amazon and at Home Depot for around $10.00. I think it is worth it.

2 Likes

At that rate if you have the tools you could try drilling out the post. Not ideal but it’s an option. Others might have ideas too but that would be my thought if heat doesn’t work

2 Likes

table vice

1 Like

And then after the dice let’s go to the garage

1 Like

From the image its shows the acle with its hole sticking out. Get a YYF multi use tool snd the metal rod this at the bottom allows you to stick it into that hole and screw it out. Sorry if im not making any sense.