Razor scooters making a yoyo?!?

Metal + Responsive + Complete Novices + Snags = Ouch!

I bet those yoyos with REAL spiders and scorpians in them will sell pretty good.

Sounds like a reactor for the first hour of play ???

Well, now I do haha. I think that is honestly down right patheticā€¦I actually had some respect for Yomega but they just lost all of it.

a $15 metal called the zombie form razor does not interest me, rather buy another kickside lol, i will continue to support the brands i already love that have been supporting the community for awhile, i just hope this sparks peoples interest in this toy again, and can make them aware of how tricks have come such a long way from walk the dog, or rock the baby

Iā€™m with Ed.

I think this post is now going nowhere.

Ok to tell you the truth i have played with that zombie yoyo when i was in 6th grade my friend emanuel bought it off of ebay for like $10. I hated that yoyo so much it wasnt good for string tricks gap was very small it also didnt sleep for very long. It basically was a aluminum looping yoyo.

I honestly think this is awesome. A compnay like Razor releasing YoYos!!!
people are going to see the Razor Yoyos, be interested, and start throwing. Sure the yoyos may be low-quality, but people are still going to have a bit of interest towards yoyoing. Maybe, if all goes well, epole are going to go on youtube, check out yoyoing and be amazed!!! Then they go on ebay, yoyoguy, yoyosam, or even yoyoexpert and get a yoyo!!! Guys this is the beginning of the boom and we should support it.

(Lol I have a lot on my mind)

Just to clear all this up.
Razor has a new line of yoyos geared towards the average consumer who wants to get interested in yoyoing or sees one and buys one on the fly. Razor is putting a lot of money in advertising and promoting this line, and frankly, I would know, because I worked for them at the New York Toy Fair and am in the commercial, and am working with them currently. Putting this line of yoyos aside, Razor is pushing to start a competitive team to get to contests, do promotions, and hopefully, design and produce competition grade yoyos. I am currently working on a metal yoyo, not designed by Razor at all.

As for a prototype metal yoyo which was mentioned earlierā€¦yes, we do have two protos in the works.
The one mentioned is a small diameter, D sized konkave, silicone response, h-shaped yoyo, and is looking very promising. We have only heard good things about it from players who have thrown it.

I will be at Cal States next week, so if youā€™re curious about what Razor is going to be doing in the future, or you want to throw our new yoyos, give me a shout.

(Also, Iā€™m not trying to start an argument or a flame war. Iā€™m just a player like you, wanting to spread yoyoing and have fun with it.)

Joey

Thatā€™s good to hear. :smiley:

Everything hinges on what Razor plans to do. I see 1 of 2 scenarios.

If they plan on capturing the yo-yo craze and bailing, then we will only see a few designs from them mostly rehashing decade old failures. This means that Razor has no interest in the professional market and only are focusing on new un-initiated consumers. The only positive from this is that Razor would be getting yo-yos on toy shelves across America, and interest would likely trickle up to the current community.

If they plan on becoming a well rounded presence in the Yo-Yo community, which would validate their beginner line, they will Sponsor Contests, produce original and competitive designs, and pave the way for more companies to follow. This would, again, lead to more yo-yos on toy shelves and it would trickle up.

Regardless, Razor is taking a risk. 10 years ago, if you pushed out crummy product for a cash grab there was not much anyone could do or say. NOW, we have the internet. Honest review, amazon rankings, youtube demonstrations, twitter, facebookā€¦ Companies can not take the risk of alienating a community that already has a strong presence. We are yo-yoers. Yo-Yoā€™s are designed for us. At various skill levels yes, but they are designed with US in mind. If you get a product and it is junk, say it with your digital voice.

My hope is that Razor is in this to sell to not only beginners, but novice and intermediate players as well. I donā€™t see then selling $100 models anytime soon, but it COULD lead there. They do after all, have premium versions of the scooter.

In the end, remember that the first company to take this risk is usually the one that makes the least gain. You may see Razor push out a few models to Walmart and it does pretty good, but then Hasbro or Bandai releases a better model. Ultimately, most people will do some research before dropping more than 15 bucks on a toy. YOUR voice is what they will research.

It will be very interesting to see what Razor does here. If they bring out some new product that is not a copy and paste of last decades failed attempts then good for them. I hope they support the community because this is a different market than it was 10 years ago. Thanks to the internet, YOU control the market because YOU are the experts.
Lets all wait and see what Razor does, and hope for the best

Well put Chris. I guess if they actually support what i have come to love then i could see myself spending the money there. But unless the Razor symbol is on a bunch of the backdrops at competitions this year I think it would be safe to assume they are in it for the $$ rather than the community.

Either way if its a good or bad yoyo im gonna buy one. ;D

Thatā€™s where the Razor Team is going to come into play. Weā€™re forming a competitive team, not just some promotional jazz. Thereā€™ big plan for Razor, and I see them becoming a presence in the yoyo community!

I want to be on razors team!!!

LOL

Thatā€™s good to know. Do you already have some people lined up or you still contacting people. I canā€™t wait to see what your guys are capable of. I kinda feel bad about saying this stuff with the main guy reading it. But iā€™m glad that there are people in the company listening. That is a plus. Youā€™ll be able to keep up with the community and get to know some of the people around. Thanks for the the Info Joey. ;D

well if they do hold tryouts lest just hope they do us a favor and dont make us buy a product for a contest to be on the team X_X there are too many contests that i have seen try that and then no one does it because thats a rediculous idea

I gotta say, this makes this whole thing sound way less un-legitamate (sp?) and way more potentially awesome.

Iā€™ve been keeping up with this thread and am glad to hear that we have a company thatā€™s well known and is trying to promote the company. My main concern is that it will not turn into a company that just want to do it for the money and attract people like us to purchase their goods. As a lot of people say: A boom is coming and with a company like Razor, it will help push it a bit further.

I donā€™t really care that they are starting out with yo-yos that werenā€™t popular back then. Itā€™s a good start to introduce people to yo-yoing and when they see us, we will educate the people our knowledge. Word will get out and Razor will then support the community in the way that our beloved YYJ and CLYW do. This is what Iā€™m hoping will happen and Razor, donā€™t let us down!

Itā€™s also good to hear that they are making a contest team. A contest team will surely raise the trust of the community and if they place high or are really respected people in the end then the company would gain more respect and might continue doing things to support us and others.

Donā€™t let us down Razor and hope it works the way I want it to.

~Spin On!

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been thinking. The goal of this particular community (much moreso than certain other online communities in our nation of yo-yoing ;)) generally seems to be extremely supportive and helpful to newcomers to the world of yo-yoing. The only thing is that in this case, itā€™s not a kid trying to decide if he should get a Kickside or a Speedmaker or how to bind, itā€™s a startup manufacturer. Granted theyā€™ve already gained very strong market presence in another productā€™s industry, but with the previous marketing and sales success of Razorā€™s existing product line, I think itā€™s safe to say that Razorā€™s venture into yo-yoing seems very promising in a best case scenario. Itā€™s easy to understand the concerns going around about this being just someone trying to cash in on an up and coming fad, but what Dr. YoYo said is right: we have a powerful presence and a strong voice in this industry whether we realize it or not. I mean, you see Joey posting in this thread in response to what people are saying about ā€œhisā€ company, and every once in a while youā€™ll see Ben from YoYoFactory or Ernie from General-Yo pop up on here from time to time adding their 2 cents and scoping out the consumersā€™ (our) input. We essentially shape the new quality products that get released. And if the product falls short for whatever reason, we speak out against it and it doesnā€™t sell.

Anyway, my point is letā€™s not chastize Razor for branching out into ā€œourā€ territory. Itā€™s fine to retain some healthy skepticism, but instead, let Razor in this case be the newcomer that we all jump to help learn how to bind or how to land that trapeze. Letā€™s offer suggestions on what we look for in a quality product and manufacturer. After all, they do have plenty of resources to potentially initiate the next boom that everyoneā€™s been waiting for and to generate alot of growth in competitions. Letā€™s not blow that by being jerks to them right off the bat. Not everyone can start out on top like companies like General-Yo for example. Letā€™s try and work with these people instead of against them, because if thereā€™s anything that Iā€™ve really seen as the general motto of this forum, itā€™s that everyone deserves a chance and everyone deserves some help getting their foot in the door.

2 Likes