Random acts of kindness in yoyoing

I think everyone knows those random acts of kindness compilations from YouTube but did ever someone did something super kind yo-yo related thing to you? Because this da y I just saw a guy playing with an responsive throw on the streets I asked him if he was also playing unresponsive he said no and told me he need to go and just gave me the yo-yo and said he still has one at home. Super nice for him and I do really appreciate it. :blush:

14 Likes

@Theycallmecotton sent out some yysl strings. It was super kind!

5 Likes

I got into yoyoing entirely because Cody from Lifeline Strings gave me a yoyo. I made some paracord holsters for him and just mentioned I thought yoyo sounded like a fun hobby, and he sent me a Topyo Impulse and some string to get me started.

Another time, a guy saw on my Instagram that I had dinged my Circle City Yoyos Muse, and he was getting out of the hobby, so he just sent me a mint one and a Horizon just because he felt like being nice.

This really is one of the most amazing communities. Tons of kind people, whether itā€™s giving away yoyos or string or hosting contests or whatever, thereā€™s a lot of good vibes and ā€œpay it forwardā€ attitude. Thatā€™s one of the biggest reasons I love this hobby, and have stuck with it as long as I have. Itā€™s nice being part of such a good community.

10 Likes

At a contest one of the vendors gave me 30 strings and a bag with 7 bearings, all with no extra charge!

6 Likes

I was just getting into yoyoing and went to BAC to check it out and enter the ladder comp. There were only a few of us in the older division and I won with a YYF DV888 that I had purchased earlier that day. Anyway, Ben of YYF asked to see what I got in my prize bag (a YYJ plastic and other loot). After poking through it he gave me a YYF throw. So cool.

7 Likes

This community has my heart. I got into it, thought it would be fun, found the forum to ask questions and suddenly Jeff reached out (I was very active) and sent me a C3 Krown. It was the best throws I ever threw at the time and it bruised many knuckles while I was learning. I then stripped that yo-yo and to this day I still feel horrible that it happened but also feel like ā€œholy crap, these are the nicest folksā€. It serves as a reminder that people can be truly awesome and not to overtighten my YoYos.

6 Likes

Nice! In 2018 a month after I joined (old profile) and just learned Braintwister, Jeff asked me if itā€™d be okay if he sends me a yoyo. He sent me a Horizon and it was the first high quality and over $20 yoyo I ever threw! I was just toying with but still kinda against unresponsive at that time. That changed several weeks later. I believe his generosity and the overall generosity I witnessed in the community made it very, very easy to give back over and over again. Iā€™ve been the gifter and giftee many, many times. In passing I asked a thrower how much a G2 costs and his response was something like ā€œI think I have some doubles, let me send you one.ā€ The generosity I witness in this community isnā€™t like people are giving away candy bars - itā€™s usually $20 - $80 yoyos. I doubt any of us are rich here soā€¦you know what Iā€™m getting at and I think I can speak for anyone who has gifted - gifting is almost more joyous an experience than being gifted.

7 Likes

Yeah giving back to the community is important to me. This community is incredible

5 Likes

Iā€™ve said it once and Iā€™ll say it again @Theycallmecotton and @JEA86 are both top notch.

Jeremy has hooked me up multiple times.

Cotton has send me a boat load of free string, a throw, and a tool.

5 Likes

This thread makes me really yearn for the day when covid is behind us and we can start having in-person events again. Iā€™ve never been to a yoyo contest, I was planning on going to East Coast Masters in 2020 and sharing some space with Circle City Yoyos since Bradd invited me, but then quarantine hit and everything got canceled. I donā€™t think thereā€™s much in my area even at the best of times, Iā€™m in Chattanooga so Pittsburgh was gonna be a long drive lol. But I really canā€™t wait to meet some of you folks in person whom Iā€™ve known online for so long.

5 Likes

Sameee!

1 Like

I agree. Even if you donā€™t compete nationals are insane and so are so many other contest. Iā€™m so ready for in person contest

1 Like