Rally, Yeti, Or ProtoStar?

Not to be totally argumentative, but is that true? I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but…

I looked up “value”; and none of the 15 or so definitions stressed individualism. On the contrary, the definitions revolve around value as a thing perceived by all; or a group of individuals.

In economic theory, value is something that takes at least two individuals to determine (one has to be willing to sell at a price; another must be willing to buy at that price). An individual, therefore, values something vs. what he believes others will pay.

I will agree, however, that emotion can affect an individual’s perceived value. If I am emotionally invested in something like my Father’s old Ford; I might find my perception of value to be distorted by my emotional attachment to the item. But that is not true value in the economic sense, since no one but me will perceive this value and be willing to pay for it.

I think the value that I was speaking about is the price/performance of the product. Trying to determine which is “best” seems pointless. Even if the Rally is better than the Protostar, its superiority must be weighed against the price; to arrive at a value judgement.

Do I like the Rally better? Yes, personally, I find it to be slightly more refined than the Protostar. But does that slight superiority merit the difference in price? That is where a consumer’s perception of value becomes important, especially at this moderate price point.

HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THE NEW GLOW PROTOSTAR!?!?!?!?!?

I now need one!

Just because you can’t find a definition of value that fits what da5id stated doesn’t mean it is not true. Price is what you compared and value is in the eye of the beholder.

Please step off of your high horse and just drop it. No one was trying to provoke the above quoted paragraph.

Kthxbye.

Honestly you will be happy with whatever you pick. My second yoyo I ever got was a Genesis. I love that thing to death but since then I’ve gotten a ton of other throws, including a Shutter and Rally. I still use them all often (except the Rally because my girlfriend liked it the best and it has since become her first throw 8) )

Sorry about the double post, wanted to separate my thoughts :slight_smile:

To me, if you really close your eyes and play the rally, it feels like a low quality metal. Great for the price, but I would rather take a high quality plastic than a low quality metal. That’s why I would choose Protostar. Plus I really like it

Glow protostar with glow G-string= christmas!

Yeah. The clear Rally looked amazing but it didn’t do it for me. Glad I was able to trade it to someone who will enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed. Looking forward to picking up a glow Protostar. The glow Crazy-D is tempting but I already know what the Protostar has to offer and assuming the price is the same, it can’t be beat in my book.

Again, looks like someone is just not doing their homework.

Value has many definitions, you might want to look at them. Here are two that fit with exactly what David is saying.

Noun:

1. relative worth, merit, or importance: the value of a college education; the value of a queen in chess.

Verb:
2. to consider with respect to worth, excellence, usefulness, or importance.

1 Like

What is your point? Just to refute me?

Did you read my post? I said I looked up the definition. Those you cite are indeed in my Dictionary too.

None of those definitions cited says anything about this being a perception of an individual. What is merit or worth? Relative to what? An individual? No, it is relative to other things. And of course, worth is relative to other things - not individuals.

Maybe if you did some reasoning yourself, you might get it right. David said value is relative to the OBSERVER - not just relative.

Who else can it be relative to?

I doubt that yoyos can value themselves, there has to be some sentient and rational individual calculating the wealth of an object in regards to another object. I guess I have to educate you on the adjective form of relative. Now who the heck do you think is doing the comparing of two objects… say two plastic yoyos. Oh, that right, it would be the observer. In your scenario when you compared the Rally and the Protostar you were the observer. Just like I would be when I do the exact same comparison. Our views are different because we OBSERVE different criteria that we base value on, such as any extra machining to smooth it out and the country of manufacturing.

Relative:
Adjective: considered in relation to something else; comparative: the relative merits of democracy and monarchy.

You say you aren’t trying to be argumentative but I dare say you are purposely being obtuse in order TO BE argumentative.

1 Like

Exactly. Your personal definition of value in this case is price/performance. Your judge of performance is subjective as well.

There are other ways to judge the value based on different values people have for buying a yoyo. Performance is not always one of them - you seem to work off this assumption but you are not representative of the whole market and even then your judgments about performance are extremely personal. Other values include collectablity, Made In America, Quality, etc. For example, if you value Made in America and you compare the Rally to the Protostar, then the choice is clear: Rally.

That’s what I meant by relative. People buy yoyos for different reasons but you act like your reason is THE reason.

^^^

I was just trying to have a good natured discussion about your point. You and others seem to want to make it personal. I think that the word “value” speaks for itself as do my posts. Whatever agenda you care to read in or add, is the making of your own imagination.

Wow. This deteriorated interestingly.

Whatever.

Look, between the three, you’ve got 3 amazing yoyos. I own the Rally, and I have a 2nd with a 3rd on the way. I like the Protostar, and for $35, it’s still one of the best darn values you can get.
The Yeti I hope to own soon. Another great yoyo.

I don’t want to argue values, or the connotations or denotations of the term “value”, but let me ramble on about it briefly:
I’m more black and white on a lot of stuff. I do have to maintain perspective. In audio, there’s a lot of gear I feel isn’t worth what it’s selling for, while others disagree. This is in regards to being priced too high or too low. This is just as applicable to yoyos for the same reason. What “moves me” may not be what moves someone else. My years of dealing with audio, IT/datacomm/computer gear and now yoyos(2 years only on that last one), I am better able to maintain some sort of subjectivity.

However, for the most part, stuff is either “I’ll buy it” or “I wouldn’t take it even if you paid me to take it off your hands”. When I dislike something, it has ZERO value to me.

However, if I could change my mindset, I could make some money off unloading that which no longer moves me.

I’ve joked, perhaps threatened to simply toss my entire yoyo collection into my recycle bin and just quit yoyo’ing once and for all. Should I literally snap and say “You know what, I can’t stand this stuff anymore”, then honestly, I will want to be done with it, quick, fast and in a hurry. I don’t want to drag it out and BST it all off. If I end up saying “screw it”, then seriously, what I spent on yoyos will suddenly in my eyes have ZERO value and is trash. Plain and simple truth regarding me.

Now, let’s get back to three fantastic yoyos: The Yeti, the Rally and the Protostar. Nobody says you have to like anything, but these are good ones. I still feel the Protostar is probably one of the best $35 plastics out there, and it does compete with metals. My negative is that it’s so darn loud. The Rally is the yoyo I just can’t put down right now(so it seems, I’m still not throwing all that much). The Yeti, which I played at Nationals, didn’t really surprise me, but I don’t say that in a negative. I’m familiar with CLYW quality and performance, and I gotta say, based on that, and seeing how One Drop did plastics, the results were very predictable and expected with the Yeti. I was fully expecting the Yeti to play how it performed. It performed really great. For what it’s selling for, CLYW better pump these out like sugar cubes and move them through mass distirbution channels once they get their financials back in order, hire some people to speed up assembly and keep the postal services humming with these.

Whatever you choose, it’s gonna be good.

1 Like

Hey, who left this dead horse here? Well… when in Rome… gets out whip

As far as Protostar .vs Rally, I’d say Rally. I’m a big Yoyofactory fan, and they make up a large portion of my collection, however, I maintain that the Rally is just a better yoyo than the Protostar.

1. Better build quality (refined on a lathe rather than just injection moulded.)

2. Less unscrewing issues (my protostar took so much force to unscrew and re-screw I’m amazed it didn’t explode from internal stresses.)

None of those forged-in-the-deepest-circle-of-dante’s-inferno spacers. Those spacers… they’re claimed the life of many a bearing.

Less vibe prone. I couldn’t care less about vibe, but after one unscrewing my Protostar had wobble like a Dubstep drop that I just couldn’t tune out. I’ve unscrewed my Rally tonnes of times and never had such problems.

In all fairness, I’m not gonna stand up and say “the Rally outperforms the Protostar by miles” because performance wise, they’re both pretty fantastic. However what you get with the Rally is a yoyo with the same level of performance as the Protostar, but without the niggling little issues that (imo) ruined what the Protostar could have been. Also I just prefer the play of the Rally, but that’s strictly a personal thing and others might feel differently.

I haven’t tried a Yeti so I won’t comment, however… ‘Dem Spacers’. shudders

Then along comes the Shutter and offers you a full competition-ready metal at the same price (or less if you factor in the new bearing as Geezer mentioned), throwing another cat in amongst the pigeons… now that’s a hard one to turn down.

However, you own a 7075 Genesis, which obliterates all of these performance-wise. So you don’t really need to worry about anything. I’m just posting my thoughts in case someone stumbles across this thread in the future with a similar choice in mind. =)

TL:DR
I feel that the Rally is better built and has less annoying issues than the Protostar. However this comes at the cost of a slightly higher price tag. Haven’t tried the Yeti or Shutter. 7075 Genesis decimates all.

1 Like

I’d go for the rally, since the yeti is hard to find and the protostar isn’t that great

Thank you!!! this is the answer I have been looking for!!!

I want a Rally, too. I hear they’re great, and I’m depending on it being as good as it’s been hyped up to be.

I honestly don’t feel you could go wrong with either the Rally or Protostar. They’re both GREAT yoyos, but they are also different yoyos. Just get one. Then at some point, get the other. Decide for yourself, based on YOUR tastes which you like better, then maybe sell one, or keep 'em both for some throwing variety.

A great suggestion although I would substitute the Yeti for the Protostar since I have not played a Protostar enough to actually form a solid opinion of it. The polished plastic shell is a deal breaker for me.

Both the Yeti and the Rally are fine yo-yos that give great performance at an incredible price point. My preferences lean slightly towards the Rally but I am so looking forward to the colored runs of Yetis to drop so I can pick up a purple one, I had a black one and loved everything about it except the color. I am just not a black yo-yo fan.

Rally vs. Yeti still hasn’t died down? How many threads about this has there been?

Anywho, I personally enjoy the Rally. Don’t really like the Protostar, and the yeti is meh, I just prefer the Rally over it.