Questions from a noob

@ Cream9000-Once they came out with the snow tires then Chris stopped siliconing all the throws.

Permatex is a very common brand of silicone and I have not tried it yet since I have about 4 tubes of VersaChem, hehe. But I have heard nothing bad about Permatex brand. I’m on the east coast so I am not sure about west coast silicone avalabilities. I will be in oregon soon though, hehe. I guess I will find out.

Different coast equals different brands of silicone??
This is madness!
haha they probably work just like the other:P

If you had pre-made response pads, you’d want to use that instead of siliconing. Less mess and faster turn-around time. Installation takes a fraction of the time with zero clean-up. Snap in the bearing, axle and done, ready to ship. Flowable means another 24 hours of cure time, which equates to a mandated halt in production.

I would imagine all brands of flowable silicone perform pretty much the same. It could be true, different brands are more prevalent depending on what region you live in.
Different coast equals different brands of silicone??
This is madness!
haha they probably work just like the other:P

Just finished sealing the sink with a tube of silicone. Dare I…?

If needed… ;D

No, I can buy both brands over here but I know my friend in oregon and somebody else posted before me said that they can not find the brand that I use.

Please don’t! You won’t be happy with the results.

Unless you want to keep moisture out of the response groove.

that’s what I thought. Although back home when helping out my dad I go through a few tubes of some type of sealer or another usually, which has led me to the idea to maybe make a test sample of all of them compared to clear RTV or flow able. Maybe one of those is the same

Tis true! Not a bottle of versachem to be found on the Oregon coast! I’ve looked around and tried to find some. To no avail. I was just curious how it performed in comparison to permatex, but iam sure they are all the same. Bring me a bottle when you come here Slade!

Well, let’s look at this from a worst-case possible scenario:
You use some stuff, and you absolutely dislike it. You’re just going to have to remove it. I feel fairly confident to say that these products are safe on plastics and metals so I think the chances of harm to your yoyo is slim to none.

The problem with some of these sealant products like what you’re talking about is they can start to cure almost immediately, leaving you little to no working time. The last batch of stuff i used to seal the tub, I swear, by the time I laid that bead down from one corner to another, I couldn’t smooth it out because it was already curing and it hadn’t even been more than a couple of minutes. So, what I went over with my wet finger ended up getting kind of grainy in texture. So, I don’t recommend the stuff that cures super fast for sure. This was like a 3-hour cure product. I just recommend a slower curing product in general so you have more time to work it. My seal is fine, but it just looks too sloppy. I really wanted a nice, clean appearance. Some spots are worse than others.

The previous stuff I used was able to be cleaned up with water. Huh? Yes, water. That stuff was crap, it didn’t seal very well, it didn’t stick very well and within a month I was fed up with it, dug it out and got the other stuff.

Hmm…
How do you rip your silicone out?

I have a multi-purpose scraper tool I got at Home Depot to remove the silicone from the tub and grout.

You can use just about anything to remove your response. Many people say use a pin, poke it through and then pull. That can most often work just fine. But, if you’re siliconing, you might need to use a toothpick or a small screw driver or that same pin to scrape out the rest of the silicone. It usually only takes a few minutes. You just want to make a real effort to get it all out.

If I do the pin, it doesn’t come completely off. It just rips it all up into a big mess

The pre-made response or the silicone response you put in?

Either way, it CAN do that. Just be patient and clean it out.

when im removing silicone to replace it, i have a set of really small flathead screwdrivers. There’s one that fits perfectly into most of my Slim pad 19mm throws. You just poke it through the silicone to the bottom of the recess, then apply firm pressure and work your way around. It pulls it all out in one nice perfect circle. i have a bigger sized one for my CLYW throws. I highly recommend trying it! No more scraping out silicone scraps for me!!