Inconsistent binds between yoyos

I have 3 magic yoyos. All with the same new response pads, same stock bearings which are all cleaned and properly very lightly lubed with thin yoyo lube, and nearly identical gap widths. Two of these yoyos are pretty difficult to catch anything other than the most basic of binds. At the point where the bind is supposed to engage it will just spin in the air and just drop to the end of the string. I have tried swapping the bearings between all of them and even replaced the stock pads with shadow pads and still the same problem. This is exceedingly irritating. What could be going wrong? Why dont they all work good like the one I have?

I found myself being incredibly unhappy with all the pads I tried. Nothing gave me consistent and snappy binds until I started using silicon. It’s a bit more work, and takes patience, but I think the results are exponentially better. Just my own personal experience.
I bought a few tubes of monkey snot because I like the color options, and all my throws feel better after using it. Hope this helps

3 Likes

Sounds pretty normal. All yo-yos perform differently, it’s not just down to bearing/response, and you have to adjust your bind/throw accordingly. As you start to try out more and more different models you’ll kind of do it mindlessly, it just becomes part of throwing.

Try using a little less/more string in your bind, or try some strings of different thicknesses and see what works best with each yoyo. It’s all part of getting the feel of it.

5 Likes

Arent all response pads made of silicone? Or is it just making your own that makes all the difference? Very cool i didnt even know that was a thing. Just looked it up.

Ok awesome thank you!

1 Like

Try playing one yoyo for a while at a time instead of switching between them and see how it feels, you’ll probably just adapt to it naturally.

3 Likes

I’ve found that since I’ve come back to yoyoing, a lot of these new yoyos just dont bind the way that I like. None of them are snappy enough really. But, you get used to it and learn how to make it work. Like it’s been said already, try different strings and technique. I personally found that sochi fat binds nicely. But, I do miss old times when I pick up one of my old throws and it binds so nice and snappy! I’m going to try some silicone soon on my newer stuff. Remember to just have fun with it.

If a yo-yo is very unresponsive (sometimes a good thing) only specific binds will work well. The tradeoff is lots of string wraps and long spins. You’ll just know after a while when the response needs to be changed, and the yo-yo borders on unplayable. Never an exact science. Missing binds is frustrating though.

It’s all in the hands. There I told you.
Look new equipment must be broken in properly to work with any quantity of efficiency, this will take time. You will experience lots of a variables during this “break in period “ just work through it and you shall be rewarded. Worked for me.

7 Likes