Question on the physics of vibe

Do you ever have a yoyo that seems to throw wobbly every time, but when you use the standard methods to straighten out the spin and test for vibe, it seems fine? Is it possible to have a yoyo flaw where it consistently launches bad but can be corrected to smooth or does that violate the laws of Newtonian physics somehow? This is a earnest question, not just looking for an alibi for my bad throwing. :nerd_face:

Bat signal to those who might know: @chaosgow @MarkD @hobbygod

3 Likes

from a non-designer point of view, yoyo throws will always have human error to them. when corrected, you’ll get the best version of a throw that’s possible since you eliminated the error by straightening out the spin. I don’t think anything can always throw bad but straighten out fine, since if it was a permanent flaw it would be noticeable in the vibe correction

1 Like

Wider yoyos tend to have more throw vibe but can still spin smooth

2 Likes

Yoyos that are wider and have more rim weight tend to be tougher to throw perfect with little vibe. An a grade yoyo should be smooth after a fingernail test.

2 Likes

I wobble

5 Likes

And you’re pure a-grade too

3 Likes

1 of 1 baby!

Thanks for noticing :wink: :kiss:

I get vibe if it didnt previously have a tight clean bind, or if my throw is off. Guy Wright bind gives me that tight clean bind and smooth follow up throw

3 Likes

I’ve also noticed that the way ur string winds up can def affective throw vibe. It can frustrating when 50% or higher of ur throws have vibe but then one random one it’s literally glass smooth without needing to do the fingernail test. In situations like, I believe the yo-yos themselves are smooth and should be considered a grade. If ur able to get a glass smooth throw without the fingernail even if it’s one out of 5 throws. In those cases it’s usually a mix of everything everyone’s said so far. Extreme weight distribution, wide outer rim bi metals, just wide in general, and the way ur string winds up all affect throw vibe. And then theres the most obvious one which is just not throwing this particular Yoyo the right way. Sometimes that takes getting used with a new throw. Sometimes I’ll get a new throw that’s behaving like this. But after a week of throwing and getting used to it I’ll usually find the smooth throws are a lot more frequent than the bad ones now.

4 Likes

Thanks, I think you and @CatFoodScience pretty much answered the question. If the string and/or pads are too grippy, that could lead to consistently messy winds which would affect how smooth the next throw is.

1 Like

I was just asking about this the other day with my Peregrine.

1 Like