Question on counterweight

I have a question you guys. I have a porykon Saturn counterweight that comes with two beads. I would like not know if I am supposed to use both beads or one and keep one as back up. Is there a “correct” way? Is it a matter of personal preference in regards to the weight of the counterweight?

I have been using it with one bead so far and I just saw on YouTube a setup with both beads on. (On an another counterweight but still).

Thanks!

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter. They’re marketed as adjusting the weight but also not really heavy enough to make a noticeable difference.

3 Likes

I always thought you were just supposed to use one bead, I’ll have to try it with two now!

2 Likes

Will try as well tomorrow on my day off.

2 Likes

So after 1 hour of play with 2 beads here are my results. (I am a noob in 5a so bare with me. I only know a couple of tricks). My general observation is that with the extra bead, the counterweight seems to be bit less responsive meaning more hesitant to start it’s trajectory. When you try to catch it it seems to be a bit more ‘dense’ on the catch. Please note that for 5A I am using a plastic fulvia (a relatively heavy yoyo at 67 grams), kitty string fat and porykon saturn counterweight.

Here goes nothing:

Double - triple trapeze release : not much of a difference. Might be my poor technique but I think the counterweight hits my hand slightly harder. (Might just be my idea though).

Double or nothing release - Switch trapeze and his brother release : Definitely a difference on the release part of the trick. The counterweight is more controllable. Noticeable difference on this one.

360 : There is a difference on this one as well. The yoyo seems a bit slower at the beginning of the trajectory. As if it were asleep for 0,1 sec and then Boom, it accelerates in a more sudden way than with 1 bead.

720 : More or less the same.

Basic Stall : It feels a bit different than with one bead. Same slower start - faster return situation.

Reverse 360 : This one feels way different. Since you throw the counterweight in a counter clock wise, there is no stall in this one. The counterweight flies like a rocket and comes back as fast. For this one, I would say it is faster start - faster return all the way.

Drop trapeze : The counterweight seems to switch hands more quickly and in a more controllable way.

Half bee sting : Not much of a difference.

Bee sting : No matter the number of beeds I am still not able to hit this more often than once every ten tries. Even if there is a difference, I would not be able to tell it.

Windmill : The only trick that i found more difficult after the addition of the 2nd bead.

I do not know if there is a general rule, but if I had to guess I would say that the less experience you have in 5A the heavier the counterweight should be. In other words, it is more beginner friendly.

One final thought is that all of this could be wrong if someone uses a lighter yoyo within the 62-65 gramms territory.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try it today too!!!

1 Like

Got a response from porykon today. The second bead is just a spare. Not supposed to use 2 at once.

2 Likes

Totally nothing wrong with using 2 beads though. Depends on the CW and yoyo. I have a throws with 0 beads, 1 bead, some with 2 beads and one of my setups has 3 beads. All depends. I just go with what feels right.

2 Likes

You know what’s funny. I tried the two beads and didn’t like it. So that makes sense lol

1 Like

I know right? I don’t know if I am picky but with 2 beads it felt more like a slingshot than a counterweight.