Looking for new counterweights

im looking to expand my minor counterweight collection throughout 5A may. this month got me hooked on 5A so i think i need some new counterweights throughout my collection :sweat_smile: any recommendations would be appreciated thanks :grin:

possible options are: (1) unknown square counterweight, or (2) porykon counterweights.

1 Like

@DedHed makes some pretty cool costum CWs… im running a challenge where you could win some… or you can om him directly.

Check it out.

1 Like

i use both of these and they are both great choices.

the benefit of the Unknown is that you can easily move it to different throws without taking the string off due to the way it attaches to the string. It has a very trick little insert that pulls out and rotates 180 degrees to lock around the string. Whereas with the Porys, like pretty much any other counterweight, you need to thread the string through a small bead and the counterweight with the string off the throw. I guess you could thread the string through the weight and loop it back on itself…

As stated, both are excellent choices. I use both and would recommend either.

You may consider getting a few different ones of differing weights/styles to see which you like. There are a lot of choices out there now.

kgb

2 Likes

I feel like the ability to move the Unknown Square to different yoyos is a little overstated. It’s not any faster or easier than a Candy Dice or similar counterweights that have a groove you put the slip knot over like you would your finger. You use such short string for 5A anyway that I feel like it’d be weird to keep a yoyo strung up with 5A string length if you didn’t have a weight on it, so it’d be easier to just move the entire string over to the new yoyo you want to play with.

I like the Square a lot though, it’s cool and cube style counterweights are comfy.

Bead counterweights like what porykon uses can be mildly annoying to restring, but all of their options are good. If you don’t like the 3D printed texture of some counterweights, picking up a porykon is a great option since a lot of them are machined pom/polycarbonate.

Candy Dice are really good and I feel like they don’t get much recognition. Just another option to consider, I’d just recommend the original Candy Dice if you were going to try one. The only one you could maybe go wrong with is the DK because it’s very light (7-8g), so if you want a heavier CW you won’t like it.

4 Likes

You have to check out Chunkeez counterweights, a quick Google search should bring them up. They have a bigcartel site

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions i really appreciate it :grin: i did forget to add one simple question sry.

“does the unknown counterweight slide freely through the string or is it stationary ??”

Thats my only question thanks again :wink:

Yes, it slides.

kgb

1 Like