Question of privacy & hackers!

Hey guys I have a question for you all……
Have you received an email PM from iCloud
I have an iOS iPhone 7… ok I know it’s old but I’m due for my upgrade to a 15 pro! Anyway, this email I received laid out the fact I’ve been hacked and all my devices are hacked cause of an app that allows people to use the computer system and watch me?
The funnest part is the person says he has videos & pics of me? And then tells me he has some really sexually crazy videos or pics of me in action!???
Then he said not to call anyone or police and he’ll know cause he sees it all…… geez I don’t have a cam corder he then says if I pay him$900 he will delete them all!?
This is nutzo k this guy is krazy too!

So any advice at this point would be much appreciated 

Thank you all,
Rock

3 Likes

It’s a weak attempt at spear phishing if it has any specifics. I had an executive a few years back at a hedge fund get almost the exact same email. He was worried and knowing him he probably had a right to be but reality is it’s all lies. Delete it and move on with your life

Also as my COO said when we got hit by ransomeware at a trucking company a decade ago. “We don’t negotiate with terrorists”. Reality is even if you send the funds you can never guarantee anything except you’ve made yourself a repeatable target.

9 Likes

As Brandon said, is just a very weak scam, we all received this type of email at some point in life, in Italy 10 years ago it was a norm receive this kind of stuff, just delete it and forget about it, I have no clue from where they get the email address but nothing is gonna happen, obviously DO NOT send them any money or as the Captain said you risk to become a target or even worst get seriously hacked.

Just let it go and have a laugh about it, next time ask the hacker if instead can record you while doing a sick yoyo trick so you can post it on the forum

6 Likes

I get spam and fishing attacks several times a day. I guess I’m a target as an old guy. They think I’m daffy but I’m only semi-daffy and don’t participate in their games.

Generally, reporting fishing and spam to your email may or may not do anything. Just don’t RESPOND to the emails.

You wouldn’t believe how many spam text messages and phone calls I get! I “report and delete” the text messages and block the phone calls. But, there are literally zillions of numbers they can call from.

The junk phone calls could be solved easily by the phone companies if they would stop allowing call from numbers that the caller doesn’t own.

Who knows…

2 Likes

Don’t worry! Apple does that anyways :wink: they just wanna get to know you a lil better

Seriously tho, they have no proof that they even have the photos or videos that they’re threatening you with, so there’s a small chance they do. Personally I think they’d send them to you instead of just saying they have them. if I were you I’d just ignore them

2 Likes

I know it’s a little scary, I’ve had things pop up on my iPhone and wondered how that can even happen, but I’ve always deleted it and ignored it and nothing has ever happened. These things get tossed out like a fishing line… if they don’t get a bite they move on. Point is…don’t respond, don’t click on any links, and delete these messages immediately and move on with your life. :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you so much everyone! I’m taking your advice and just live my life! @fos1 might be right….since I’m an old guy too brother!! This community is so great I appreciate all my fellow forum members! Thank You
Rock

3 Likes

I get about 10 of those same type message a week threatening to expose all of my private indiscretions. The irony is I don’t have a camera on my computer.

OMG, they’ve probably bugged my house… :wink:

6 Likes

Need a plumber?

3 Likes

FYI it’s not spear phishing, that would be a targeted (hence the “spear”) attack, whereas this extortion attempt was probably mindlessly spammed to all addresses on an email list they grabbed from one of the countless data breaches from over the years.

2 Likes

Yeah I was vaguely making assumptions that it was using his name and or other very light details as I’ve seen that instance in other similar more targeted but very weak versions of this exact email but yes if it’s generic it’s just phishing.

Heck I’m still not sure if this was email or a text in which it would be smishing but now we are getting into Semantics

1 Like