Question about binds.

So I learned yo-yo tricks 10+ years ago with my little Chain Reactor and a Metallic Missile. This was when the MM was one of the top throws. Things have changed a bit now with unresponsive throws, and I’m struggling with getting binds without knots or a big extra loop. I’ve tried a few suggestions on youtube videos and even the recommendation in the intermediate trick learning section here. Any tips to help me avoid this?

The bind is created by there being multiple “layers” of string in the gap, pushing string into the response pads and causing the response to “grab” in order to return the yoyo.

SO many tutorials and videos seem to show the loop getting “Thrown” into the gap in order to force these layers and create a bind. But a good reliable bind (let’s forget about “trick” binds for a moment; they’re for flash not reliability!) should be created by making the loop and then pulling back on your throw hand in order to feed the loop into the gap for the bind. When this happens, very very rarely is there a “tail”, and your next throw is almost always snag-free.

A big culprit of the mega-tail is people binding the opposite way. You need to bind so that the direction of the spin is pulling the loop into the gap. If you do it the opposite way, it’s going to get snarled up 9 times out of 10. I mean, it’s possible to do, but it’s not reliable.

And the biggest culprit there? People see a tutorial for a front style bind, which has the appearances of a front-facing “trapeze”. So then they try the same technique, but from an ACTUAL sideways trapeze. But the yoyo is spinning the opposite direction when you’re in an actual trapeze, so the same type of bind won’t work reliably.

Doing the “pull back on the throwhand” technique gives you the freedom to use virtually any size of loop, and your next throw will still almost always be reliable.

This video helped me understand how a bind really works:

1 Like

Thanks. That video really helped to better understand the bind. I’m getting a nice tight wrap more often now, but I still end up with a bite most of the time. I guess it’s just practice, practice, practice…