Pulling string from my hand,, and strummol8

When I throw the top, it is pulling the string right out of my hand and flies across the room with the top. What am I doing wrong? The one I normally throw is a Jupiter, but having this problem with all of them.

Also, the Strummol8 came with a 74 inch string!

Well i think i know why. I was letting the extra string hang behind the button on my hand. When i throw, it went forward and tangled with the top, pulling it from my hand. I cut it and so far the problem is gone.

On the strummol8,i cut the string to 54 inch and i can throw the odd shaped tops!

1 Like

Hello,

I have the same problem with the Strommol8 Augusta when I throw it it seems to grab the string at the end of the throw, sometimes pullingbthe string from my hand. I’m not sure if the string length is wrong? Or if it’s just my lack of technique. I watched videos to see how other’s are throwing it, but still no luck.

I have been throwing tops a lot lately and that still happens to me sometimes, especially with heavier tops. I am not sure why it happens other than the string is knotting around the and grabbing it. So it is important to get some decent tension pulling down on the string from the crown on the first few wraps, beyond that I am guessing it is technique, if the string is going at all slack at the end of the throw, that may allow the string to bind around the tip. I don’t know if there is a trick to throwing the unconventionally shaped Strummol8 tops.

Rockitglider, I gave up trying to throw my Augusta. I spent hours trying. The string grabs on that one no matter what i do. I went back to it after i thought cutting the excess string fixed my problem,but nope, not on that top. It just sits in the original box now, out of my sight. I hope you figure it out.

I don’t understand why, because the profile of that Augusta top seems normal, and comparing it to the red top up there in another post, the Dionisia, the profiles seem the same where the string wraps the top. I can throw the Dionisia perfectly “most” of the time.

I can also throw the yellow Rosalinda very well, after i finally learned how to hold it. That one excited me when i learned it and is one of my favorites now.

Kevinm, i have been watching my string tension after you suggested that earlier.

Lol,

Mine sits in the box as well, and out of site mostly, and with a little damage to it from trying to throw it. I tried again, like you said with a shorter string length, but no joy. Next I’m going to try a longer string. If anyone knows what string length to use for this top, please let us know. I will keep you informed of any progress, and thanks for letting me know, I’m not the only one with this situation. Good luck.

Rockit

1 Like

For me it has been my Quicksilver. Bigger and heavier than my others it confounded me for a very long time. When it grabbed like that it would spin out of control and smash into things. This was an expensive top for me and I didn’t want to see it destroyed so that made me not want to throw it. I fully understand that frustration. I can throw my Quicksilver pretty good now but it will still do this same thing. I have still never found any explainable reason for why it happens. It always seems to me that the throw that grabs is exactly the same as any other good throw. So a bit of advice I’ll offer on string length. If you use that long string. When you put the button between your fingers, wrap the string around those 2 fingers once also. This will shorten the string length a bit. Give it a try or 2, if still not satisfied, wrap it twice, or around 3, or 4 fingers. This in an effort to incrementally shorten the string to find the length that works for you. This helped me, and I’m sure it’ll help you also find the length string that works for you.

Thanks,
I’ll try to experiment with the length, I bought a couple of custom made strings from Dazzling Dave, and they are long enough to start out with a fairly long string and shorten it as I experiment. I think I read somewhere that there is a string length standard to start with depending on the weight of the top.

Rockit

This has been the advice that is commonly given, but I postulate: often it is said that your throw can be adjusted to compensate for any string length/top combination. So if a throw can be adjusted for the length of the string, the length of the string can likewise be adjusted to compensate for the throw. As I experimented with shortening the string and keeping my throw the same, I started noticing the angle the top was landing in was rotating as I shortened the string. So I kept going until I hit the point where it was landing upright with no adjustment to my throw. This did work for me and it’s why I recommend it. You may have different results but I do hope you will share them either way.

That will work if your throw is consistent. The standard for the “proper” string length would be the tip turning 180 degrees after release.

1 Like

Hi Steve

If you can remember, what the string length was before shortening? Thanks

I’m thinking the one I’m using came with the Quicksilver. Not sure if there is a listing somewhere with that info on it but I believe it was 60 some inches long. I’ll see if I can find out.

This happened today, I could hear the string slipping and eased up on the throw. It is definitely slipping down instead of unwinding, then knotting around the tip.

2 Likes

Quicksilver? This is the same issue I said I’ve always had with mine. Feels like I throw it exactly the same but sometimes it does that. It’s the only one that does that too.

I have to throw it a bit softer and make up the speed by pulling back harder. For regens and stuff you don’t need a powerful spinner, so it works out for practicing mgr and sewing machine. But the string slips most of the time when I try to throw a fast boomerang.

1 Like

Is that one fixed?

Yes.

I just recently hand picked some bearings for mine with a slightly different philosophy and whether or not it was the philosophy that paid off or not…it ended up much smoother and quieter.

1 Like

So lately I have been throwing some lighter plastic tops (Cometa Jumbo Cobras) because I am working on some tricks I need long spin time for, and I can throw the Cobra tops really hard and get a strong boomerang. Today I got a string snag and the top came back at my face hard enough to knock off my hat and glasses. Oh, I know what you’re thinking, and yes I’m sure it looked funny, but the point is that on a top that is usually quite smooth, I got a really bad snag.
Anyways, not sure if it was the winding or the release, but yeah, gotta stay focused with the boomerangs in case the top comes flying back at your face.

1 Like