Psa: usps no more first class

*Dear Mods, I wasn’t sure where to put this, please move to the appropriate section accordingly. Thank you!

So, I dropped a couple boxes off today, and was informed at the US post office here in Anchorage, AK that First Class is no longer a shipping option (best value), and it has now been merged with ground shipping. It’s now called Ground Advantage.

It’s a bit more expensive than first class was. Example being a single yoyo typically shipped for $5.65-$6 is now approx $7. The heavier the box, the the more that ratio seems to grow bc 3 yo-yo shipped is now almost $10. Where as before, it would’ve been $7 and change.

The increased price is not my greatest concern though, it’s the fact that it’s now called ground advantage. I’m unsure how that will affect the routes packages take to arrive to their destinations.

“Ground advantage” sounds like we’re paying more for it to NOT be put on a plane. Which from Alaska… would take a WHILE.

I asked the girl checking me out behind the counter for more info but all she said was to visit the post office website… which doesn’t help a whole lot.

So my intention with this post is to spread awareness incase anyone was not already aware. And to create a post where people can come and share updates or clarifying information.

Thanks all,

Have a blessed day.

15 Likes

Thank you!! Good info, albeit frustrating for sure

2 Likes

I found some relevant info in a footnote:

1. For mailable items up to 70 lbs. Expected delivery in 2–5 business days. Packages going to certain places (including Alaska, Hawaii, and offshore destinations), or containing hazardous materials or live animals may receive slower service.
4 Likes

Learned this at the PO counter yesterday, she said it included $100 insurance though which is a plus.

5 Likes

Ahh darn that’s gonna make pay it forwards a tad more expensive. Might need to pair down some of the stuff that tags along to make shipping make sense…

Thanks for the heads up I remember reading an email at some point about convincing services but didn’t correlate cost increase.

2 Likes

Price sheet. And info breakdown. Using a service like pirateship will keep it at the same price it’s been. I sell on BST much more than the average person across multiple different hobbies, and have been using pirateship for a long time. Nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things.

8 Likes

Was pretty weirded out by seeing an option I’d never heard of and no First Class when I went to use a kiosk at my local PO today. I’ve never had much faith in the insurance USPS offers, so it’s just an upcharge in my mind. Guess it was bound to happen eventually.

Good to hear that online options won’t be more expensive.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses. Some very helpful info!

I have never heard of pirate ship, may have to look into it!

3 Likes

Seconding pirateship if you aren’t using it you’re likely paying too much and waiting at the post office for too long. Pay less and drop off easy peasy I went FAR too long without knowing about this service.

9 Likes

They also have a pickup scheduler built in. I don’t have time to go to the post office cause of my work schedule, so pirateship makes my life incredibly easy.

4 Likes

Fourthing pirate ship.
If you have a big enough mailbox and a printer you don’t even need to go to the post office. The mail-person will just pick up your package while doing the usual route!

5 Likes

The whole pirateship crew is coming out to advocate. But if anyone needs any further proof. This is from the last 30 days

8 Likes

Just used Pirate ship for the first time and saved about $3.00 per package compared to USPS click and ship. Very easy to use.

Thanks for the tip

5 Likes

so weird. I just dropped a package off with first class shipping yesterday (tuesday 7/11); but i had paid for the shipping via paypal shipstation monday, so i guess that’s why.

For real! I’ve had several packages go missing in the mail or damaged and they have never compensated or covered the items ever. Even when shipping with priority. It’s always more of a hassle than it’s worth.

I’ve never had shipping insurance work out even with an enterprise account. I had an engineer ship monitors to an office snd all of them where packed by fedex and dropped off at the location. Fedex refused to accept the insurance claim because the boxes where thrown out by the janitorial staff before the claim was complete and they wanted to send someone to the location to inspect the packaging. Stating our pictures where inadequate. In the end it was more hassle than it was worth and the man hours spent where more than the lose.

I don’t trust insurance on a package anymore it’s rarely worth it.

2 Likes