Cheap shipping in the CONUS

I’ve been searching around the BST a lot and it looks like people within the US generally charge $5 for shipping in the CONUS. I’ve recently shipped a few things and it seemed to me I couldn’t ship any package for less than $10. I’ve been shipping USPS Priority Mail with tracking included. Am I doing it wrong, or is everyone on the BST in the US taking a $5 loss on shipping because it’s the accepted going rate?

4 Likes

Last time I shipped a yo-yo it was like 15 dollars and they didn’t give me tracking. My fault entirely but I thought it be included because it was 15 bucks lol. Needs to be a handy guide to shipping yo-yos

2 Likes

I recently shipped a few things using first class package services. Still get a tracking number and it gets most places within the U.S. the same time as priority. It usually is in the $5-6 dollar range.

First-Class Mail
Mail in 1–5 Business Days; Small Packages in 2–5 Business Days
First-Class Mail® is an affordable mail service for standard-sized, single-piece envelopes weighing up to 3.5 oz and large envelopes and small packages weighing up to 13 oz. Prices start at $0.60 at a Post Office.

Priority Mail® is our bestselling mail service. Domestic deliveries arrive in 1-3 business days3 depending on where your package starts and where it’s going. Tracking and insurance are included, shipping boxes and envelopes are free, and with Priority Mail Flat Rate®, you don’t need to weigh shipments 70 lbs and under. Purchase Priority Mail postage and shipping labels at a Post Office or online. Prices start at $9.00.

8 Likes

I guess I just need to go to the post office next time, because I can’t find a way to pre-print a First Class label.

3 Likes

You can do that from paypal. It usually costs me <5$ for shipping and then some more for the box.

I ship first class.

7 Likes

At the USPS kiosk I pay about 9-10 bucks for priority 2 day.

Generally I put $5 shipping or I include it in price, otherwise I eat the cost. It comes with the territory of BST’ing stuff.

5 Likes

I have done it through paypal not on USPS website. Normally i just go to the post office.

2 Likes

First Class is the way to go. Usually about half as expensive as Priority (if not less) and from my experience, shipping times are roughly about the same, with First Class being about 1 day slower.

4 Likes

I always ship USPS Priority and advertise as such, the insurance is very important for me when doing BST. I price my yoyos taking into account the $10ish plus G&S fees for paypal.

1 Like

I used to do this till first class lost something. Even though they found it, insurance should ways be something includes with a BST deal.

2 Likes

The USPS site seems to say that insurance is available for First Class. Is it not included?

2 Likes

I’ve shipped probably… over a hundred packages USPS first class? And another couple dozen priority. Haven’t permanently lost anything, but there have been a handful of slow moving parcels, especially international. I pay for separate insurance if the value is over a certain amount.

I use pirateship.com for postage; right now (with holiday rates) 1st class for one yoyo is a bit over $4, and priority is around $8.

6 Likes

If I remember correctly it is $50 dollars includes.

I agree. That is what i typically use.

First class insurance is extra, priority $100 is included. Given that I typically don’t have extras of a yoyo to replace a lost one I find the added $5 is worth it for added piece of mind.

For reference on a $50 insured fc shipment you save 1 or 2 bucks compared to priority

2 Likes

Re: insurance, first class does come with $50. USPS is notoriously bad about fighting customers over lost packages - the insurance policy has been completely worthless or taken months on end to process a claim in a lot of instances for people I know. It’s by and large a scam. I would use a different shipping service if I wanted something insured with a trustworthy policy.

Edit: just saw that your link is for the create label page. My bad.

1 Like

The $50 included fc must be new, probably when they bumped priority to $100

Hmm. I was just poking around and you may be right about $50 not being included. I could have sworn I found documentation about that last time I shipped. That or I am just really out of it today, lol.

Your package was probably too heavy for first class. Small box with single throw, string, and light packaging and you’re good for first class. Bigger box with multiple throws and heavy packaging and they are gonna make you go priority.

I’ll second pirateship.com for affordable first-class labels. It’s cheaper than if you go to the post office. I’ve shipped dozens of yo-yos without any big issues. No lost packages, even with a number of international shipments.

1 Like