Protostar wont bind back.

Hey guys! The yoyo that I use the most is a yoyofactory protostar. Lately, when I try to bind it back to my hand, it only works 3 out of 10 times. I have been playing unresponsive for a while, so I know how to bind and it is not my bind that is the problem. What should I do? Thanks!

1 Like

I think I might have given you a thank you for no reason on this post on accident, but anyway, go to YouTube and type in “yotricks why wont my yoyo come back” and look for a guy in a red shirt and a blue backround, green yoyo and black hat. It says" yoyo FAQ".

No i already play unresponsive and know how to bind.

Check the response pads, they may be worn down and need to be replaced. Also, if your string is on its last legs, it’ll be tougher to bind, so you may want to change that too.

I’m thinking it might be the response pads wearing down. Just replace the pads with fresh ones and you should be good to go.

Yuki

Yup, and it shows other ways that it might not make it come back, like age bearing and pads and stuff, just check it out, y not :smiley: but I think pads.
Hope I helped

Thanks guys I’ll check the pads.

Darn, you guys beat me to it… So um… Pads… Yea… :smiley:

Haha thanks anyway, Andy.

Should I just get the white ones from yoyoexpert?

My old yoyo wouldn’t bind back and all I did was put the bearing in paint thinner and it seemed to work fine after that

So cleaning… Made it more responsive? Ummm… OK…

I recommend Red YYF pads all the way man.

They’re great pads. Yellow ones work great too.

YYF makes really nice response pads

I dont know much about pads, is there a difference between colors, or is it like string, just preference?

Different stiffnesses, thicknesses, and break-in/wear out speed. I like the natural pads.

Yuki, is that the Starwars Gangster Rap as your avatar?

Ok im gonna get a pair of white ones.

I think you can silicone this yoyo if you want to.

Pretty much anything that accepts the 19mm slim pads can be siliconed with flowable silicone or gasket maker.

But although I’ve done that for several yoyos now, I’m thinking of doing an about face and switching to pads. Pads are pretty cheap. I happened to have a spare set that came with my Wrath, and so I used’em (not on the Wrath, which is somehow still going strong!). It felt like kind of a relief to just shove pads in there instead of using flowable.

That said, I’ve used flowable for another 3 yoyos since then, and it’s not like it’s a chore or anything…

Sure is!

Yuki

Ain’t no problem going back to pads. They work great, go in fast, are convenient and you don’t have to lose your yoyo overnight for silicone to cure. Excellent solution for having them at contests for all your competition yoyo sets. I’d do it too.

However, since I don’t compete, I don’t sweat losing a yoyo for 24 hours to silicone it. I do have to ensure that if I’m gonna be running or running off to meets on the weekends, I gotta do my silicone jobs on Thursday so they are don Friday so they can be back in the cases Friday evening so the cases are good to go.

I copied this from Yoyoexpert’s shop:

CBC “Slim Pad” Size 19mm OD are now available in five versions:
White Pads:
The standard YoYoFactory response pad. White pads come in almost all of our yo-yos when they are brand new because these are the best all-around pads. Whether you use them in preparation for a contest, for a high intensity freestyle, or for just hanging out and throwing, the white pad will play to your standard. Good for all styles of play.

Red:
The Competition Pad. Red response pads break in very quickly, reach an ideal sweet spot, and then wear out quicker than any other pad. This combination makes them perfect for freestyle competition play, in which you can break them in within minutes and walk on stage ready to go!

Yellow:
The Consistent Pad . The yellow pad is reliable in how consistent it plays as it wears down. Unlike many of the other pads that have a sweet spot once they are broken in, the yellow pad is as good when you first swap it into the yo-yo as it is just before it is worn down to the core.

Blue:
The Grippy Pad. Blue Pads have a little longer break in period, meaning that they retain that new pad feel for much longer than most other pads. Once broken in, blue pads hold a Medium Response while still holding an overall grippy feel.

Natural:
The Marathon Pad. The Natural color pads are intended to be the longest lasting pad that we make. Surprisingly they also require very little break in time, no maintenance. Best used in the yo-yo that you take with you wherever you go.