Protostar or Severe?

Ive been wanting a new throw for under 50 and i really like the protostar but is the severe the same/better?
ps: anyother recomendations will be appreciated ;D

I’ve loaned out my Protostar to a buddy, so i haven’t played it for a looong time now, though i’m pretty sure i’d still favor my Severe. The Protostar will probably feel more hefty and maybe a bit slower, being heavier, while the Severe will feel lighter and more nimble.

Btw, if i’d were to get a Severe again i’d choose the black one. Black is such a underrated color on a yoyo.

They are both very similar in shape and how they feel in the hand; I just got my Severe yesterday, and have just started to mess with it. I was comparing the shapes and they look and feel very close to the same angles and profile.

as far as the weight I think they are both the same overall but the Severe does feel bouncier as it does not have the metal rings and the weight is given in the shape of the plastic, as opposed to the the protostar which does have the rings, maybe because of the metal rings?

I am still too new to give a good recommendation, but I don’t think you will go wrong with either. I like them both! They are both very similar in shape and how they feel in the hand, I just got my Severe yesterday, and have just started to mess with it. I was comparing the shapes and they look and feel very close to the same angles and profile.

as far as the weight I think they are both the same overall but the Severe does feel bouncier as it does not have the metal rings and the weight is given in the shape of the plastic, as opposed to the protostar which does have the rings, maybe because of the metal rings?

I am still too new to give a good recommendation, but I do not think you will go wrong with either. I like them both!

Severe.

1 Like

Protostar is a brilliant yoyo for the price and will probably be remembered as a classic, can’t really say the same for the delrin severe. But having said that, I’d choose the severe as they both play really good, but the severe wins by a country mile when it comes to grinds.

The severe is hands down better. Smoother, just as stable, and just plain better at grinds. It is also more durable. I need to save up to fix the one i broke while being stupid! (This will not happen to you.) beware of tight bearing seats though.

I prefer severe, it plays lighter