Problems a bad string can cause?

Alright so I recently bought some Twisted Stringz Gray Matter. And I’ve been having some problems with my yoyoing. I’m wondering if these problems are caused by the strings… What are some problems a bad string can cause?

Some of my problems include:
A “string tail” forming when I bind. Then whipping my hand very hard. That’s been painful.

Very bad at holding tension. I heard the Gray Matter strings were supposed to hold tension well, but my string seems to hold tension horribly.

Along with a few other problems that are hard to describe…

Can anyone help?

Quite frankly, my understanding is that tension is a function of string twist. The string twists or untwists as you throw, so I don’t see how one brand of string is superior to any other regarding tension. On a given trick they will all twist or untwist the same. But then maybe I don’t understand the term as you use it.

1 Like

I read folks saying one string holds tension better than another and never understood what is meant either. It’s exactly as you said, they all either twist tighter or looser depending.

If you are right hand and uses strings for right hands at every launch increases the twist of a half turn string … this applies to all kinds of them, regardless of brand and material.
The differences that can be noted between different types of strings and brands are only the ability to more easily cleave the air, as a function of the specific weight of the materile with which they are made (for example those nylon are better than those of polyester or cotton) or the wear resistance, this may depend on the materials used (the best are string of kevlar/polyester) or if equal material from the quality of the fibers used.

I understood this to be a function of how tight the string is wound when it’s made.
However, I’m not quite sure how any of these factors really would effect the strings tension holding ability in a significant way.

All of the issues you bring up are going to vary from one kind of string to another, so the simple answer to your question is yes, it’s the string, you just don’t like them.
In trying to learn some different tricks, I have experienced huge differences from one kind of string to another, or even just using a fresh string of the same type, compared to one that was getting a little worn.
The string and the condition of the response pads are almost all of your feedback from your yo-yo, assuming your bearing is clean and not causing issues.

Certain strings require you to adjust the way you play, there’s a learning curve, and Gray Matter is definitely one of those strings.

It’s a really thick and heavy string, so if you’re binding the same as you would with a normal bulk poly string then you will end up with a snag or that extra string tail you mentioned.

I’ve found them to hold tension pretty well, but if you’re constantly getting snags when you bind then that may be causing the tension issue also.

Try using less string when you bind with it and see if that helps, but as others have said you may just not like this particular string.

Just an idea (not sure though). My idea is that some strings are made of different materials, because of that they will have slightly different properties. Some strings may resist the coiling up action more than others. Though they have gone through the same amount of tension change, some materials can resist that coiling up effect more. They all change the same amount tension wise, not coiling up wise however.

^did that make sense to anyone else but me?

They are mostly all made of Poly, but not all poly is the same.
The thread can be bonded or unbonded, and different loft and tentions make a difference.

What is loft?

Well right. I have made tons of string (none of it good but still string) and have played probably 20 brands or types of sting. It’s crazy how much a string differs depending upon material.

Thanks. This helped. :+1:t5:

This is what I figured too.

I think I’m using the right term, but I could be wrong.
It has to do with how long the original fibers are that you use to make the thread/string/rope.

The longer the fibers, the more durable, and the stronger the product.

My theory is that this is one of the main factors that attributes to how quickly a string gets worn out and frayed. (It’s just a theory though, I could be wrong.)