Preventing/Managing Cuts on Fingers?

I have a problem with getting cuts on my TH pointer and middle finger, on the side of my finger at the first knuckle. When I throw it often times hits in that spot (especially because there are visible grooves in my fingers now) - does anyone else have this problem? How do you manage it? I’ve tried gloves and bandages, but I just don’t like how gloves feel while playing, and your string can get caught up on bandages fairly easily.
Has anyone tried other methods? Liquid bandages? Super glue? Bionic hand?

4 Likes

Glue stick and then band aid.

1 Like

These clear water-proof Band-Aids that feel almost like a second-skin have worked well for me

4 Likes

See Gloves, wraps, sleeves, lotion.. protecting your hands during frequent Yo-Yo play?

1 Like

Definitely trying these out - I think this is exactly what i need.

1 Like

This is where I started, but am now looking for options a little outside the typical. Without getting super into it, but basically I’ve tried these options and they just don’t work for me.

1 Like

I tried various options without success. Super glue worked for me.

2 Likes

Become a carpenter. Natural callouses will form on your hands.

Just be aware of chisels, saws, drills, splinters, arthritis, hammers and other Carpenters.

Never looked back.

7 Likes

I have fairly calloused hands from playing drums and working as a machinist, but not really on the side of my finger tip

3 Likes

Kinda hard to get a picture of it, but there’s two little grooves worked into the side of my finger (and another inthe same spot on my middle finger)
Edit: better picture

2 Likes

Those look painfully efficient for string placement.

If I’ve cut myself at work and I need to stop the ooze of blood, super glue is a nice quick fix. Or insulation tape.

2 Likes

I’ve had some pretty bad string burns in that same spot. I usually just take it as a sign to practice a different trick for a day or two.

4 Likes

I’m trying to figure out why you would get a cut there from a yo-yo. That’s not where you have the string loop, right?

1 Like

No i have the string looped on my middle finger in the typical spot as most people. It catches here typically when throwing a harder breakaway. I’ve kinda compensated for it by working on my throwing technique, but every so often it catches there and breaks it back open

I would try to get used to gloves. I have not had this problem at all, but when I used to spintop I had spots on my palm that hurted a lot. I got used to gloves till they disappeared. If I were you, I’d try some billiard gloves and get used to them. Hope you find a solution anyways

4 Likes

I had a cut there about a month ago that I responded by using a bandaid + no longer using that finger to guide breakaways until it healed.

In the future I’m going to try to keep that skin from drying out too much.

2 Likes

Yea, once you get a cut like that even “man hands” can’t resist splitting open. Just bandaid it until it fully heals. This happened to me a few months ago and even though I have farmer hands, I still had to wait for it to heal or I would just immediately split it open. I now kind of have yoyo callouses and don’t have any issues, but some of you guys play a bit more than I do.

2 Likes

I’ve had one of those on each hand over the last two months. Just used a regular band-aid, I’ll try the clear ones next time.

1 Like

My favorite band-aid for injuries likely to effect yo-yoing are the flexible fabric ones. The texture works nicely with play and the flexibility feels more natural.

4 Likes

Yoyos shouldn’t cut your finger unless they are heavily dented.