Cuts from yoyoing?

Hi everyone,

While I was yoyoing, I felt a pain on my index finger while throwing a trapeze. Upon further inspection, I saw tons of small cuts on my index finger , between the knuckle closest to the tip of my finger and the middle knuckle.

Is this normal to get this? I heard on a thread awhile ago that you get calluses…is this a callus?
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

not sure…

it happens to me all the time

A callus is multiple layers of dead skin that you will grow over time from repeatedly throwing. I believe you were looking at my thread because I asked about calluses. And I am glad to say. I have no problem with those cuts anymore. If you persevere and tape your finger when necessary you will eventually not have to worry about it like what happened to me.

I used to have the same thing. Keep playing with it and it’ll go away, but it’s also alright to take a break or rest for the day if it hurts too much.

i don’t get those cuts. but then again i have been playing guitar for 6 years. you can also use a glove if you are not getting calluses, however these cut down your sense of touch.

I actually burn little grooves in my fingers from string burn, around my middle finger on my throw hand I dont have a callus but, it like eats through layers of skin slowly, idk, I throw for the greater half of the day and so far I have got no cuts.

if it is on your non throwhand it is sting burns i used to get those from trapeze and stuff it will stop sooner or later
but if it is on your throw hand like every one said you will get a callous

That is, I think, what is on my throwhand index finger…
I think it’s from string burns. For now, I’ll just take advantage of the tape at my house :slight_smile:

Yoyo’s used to be weapons. And are acting hostile to this day. More and more people die from yoyo’s every year… :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, my advice is: FEEL THE BURN!

It should go away. I’ve never put tape on my finger and i hate gloves. I can’t FEEL the string. I say it’s good for you to let it burn. unless it bleeds, then stop. but that has yet to happen to me.

I get it on my throwhand finger too. I usually just tape my finger over with medical tape. It really helps. Medical tape is flexible and thin enough to the point where you can still feel the string on your throwhand finger. Yet, it’s strong enough to keep your finger from getting cut. Just a suggestion, I guess.

Yoyo’s used to be weapons. And are acting hostile to this day. More and more people die from yoyo’s every year… :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, my advice is: FEEL THE BURN!

It should go away. I’ve never put tape on my finger and i hate gloves. I can’t FEEL the string. I say it’s good for you to let it burn. unless it bleeds, then stop. but that has yet to happen to me.
[/quote]
This is in fact false information.
The weapons you are referring to are actually rocks tied to a string, not much of a yoyo, :wink: the “yoyo” we know of today was first discovered painted on pots made by the Greeks. haha, sorry Zer0.

And what you are getting is more of a string burn rather than cuts, I believe. I discovered one on my throw hand pointer just today. Perfectly normal and will wear off with more play.

I’ve gotten like, small cracks in my skin because it’s so dry from the string rubbing. I think they make special yoyo tape, but it just looks like gauze to me.

same thing happened to me. there was actually a crack on my finger and it started bleeding so i had a long rest from it worked out to be fine!! :slight_smile: now i’m buying gloves because starting to hurt again!

This is in fact false information.
The weapons you are referring to are actually rocks tied to a string, not much of a yoyo, :wink: the “yoyo” we know of today was first discovered painted on pots made by the Greeks. haha, sorry Zer0.

And what you are getting is more of a string burn rather than cuts, I believe. I discovered one on my throw hand pointer just today. Perfectly normal and will wear off with more play.
[/quote]
fail quote… :stuck_out_tongue:

well it’s tied to a piece of string, swung around at fast speeds, somewhat spins(even though not in the right way) it fits the description. :stuck_out_tongue:
Wasn’t there controversey whether it was greek or philipino? I think it was a philipino who brought it to usa… am i right?

Funny that this topic should come up. I just took this pic last night after about a week of throwing way more than ususal.

Zer0, I’m not sure who brought it to the US, but I don’t think that it would’ve been meant to spin the way that we think of yoyos spinning. MY guess is that The yoyo would’ve spread through Europe, and the Idea would’ve been brought over by Immigrants. Just my opinion on the matter

I cut myself with the yoyo. It was spinning, I slammed my hand, and it started bleeding. Like skin grazing cut.

Qoute from wiki:
Birth of the modern yo-yo

James L. Haven and Charles Hettrick of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, received the first United States patent on “…an improved construction of the toy, commonly called a bandelore…” in 1866.[11]

However, the yo-yo would remain in relative obscurity until 1928 when a Filipino American named Pedro Flores opened the Yo-yo Manufacturing Company in Santa Barbara, California.[12] The business started with a dozen handmade toys; by November 1929, Flores was operating two additional factories in Los Angeles and Hollywood, which altogether employed 600 workers and produced 300,000 units daily.[12]

Just keep playing. It happened to me for a period of about 3-4 months, now it never happens. When it starts to get more painful, take a day off and let a layer of skin form over the wound. The next day, put a single drop of super-glue on your skin. This will form a hard layer almost like an artificial skin layer that will keep your finger from getting cut up. It will form a callous soon and you won’t have to worry about it any more.