Prevent finger callouses

Does using a finger wrap prevent callouses from forming on your hand? Is there other ways to prevent them without finger wrap?

4 Likes

A finger wrap or tape will certainly prevent a callous. I do this funny double slip knot and it seems to take some of the load off. It doesn’t slip around at all too.

8 Likes

I find gloves to be helpful to minimize string burn and callouses, or if my hands are getting sweaty so it doesn’t gunk up the string. That said, the callouses are worth it in the long run imo unless you want to only throw using gloves. I find them most helpful when I’m throwing for a long time or prepping for a contest.

That double slip knot idea sounds awesome though and I might have to try it so the string tightening doesn’t keep destroying my throw hand middle finger lol

4 Likes

Let the callouses form and keep them moisturized so they don’t dry out and crack. They’re nice to have when well maintained. I’m lookin at that double slipknot too anyway. Looks effective! It won’t help me with the throw hand index callouses near the first joint but that just forms from the way I hold the yoyo when I throw.

6 Likes

You can also just play 5A when the Yo-Finger is sore.

7 Likes

Bandaids.

4 Likes

I spent a non-zero amount of time figuring out how to do this for 2A. @Shwa made a helpful demo I found here:

2 Likes

Hey!! Thanks for linking that. I was in a rush yesterday and didn’t take the time to find it.

@bigstupidbees i have that same callous on my index finger.

1 Like

I’ve used Fabric bandaids to pretty good effect to protect cuts and cracks from the combination of dry skin and string burn. Wrapping direction makes a difference.

3 Likes

+1 on the fabric bandaids.

3 Likes

Do you mind saying what kind of tape? As in normal tape, athletic tape, or a band aid?

I Think they mean this: Yo-Yo Tape by YoYoExpert

1 Like

Ya! That’s the stuff.

Athletic tape also works. I’ve never used it under the loop but I’ve used it on my non-throw hand to cover cracked skin right where trapeze or windmill would land.

1 Like

Bandaids are a best bet.

2 Likes

When a finger gets too calloused, just cut it off and regrow it.

3 Likes

Throwers are lizard people, C O N F I R M E D

1 Like

Gloves

Roll with the callous! It’s a badge of honor!

You can also reduce callous by staying hydrated and use a moisturizer like okeef’s

2 Likes

Looks like a throw :wink:

1 Like