Premium strings vs cheaper strings

Are there any premium strings that last long enough to justify the higher price? Yoyostringlab strings sound great but I’m not sure I want to spend the same amount of money for half as many strings. Are they worth it when you consider only their durability? Currently using something strings, so if anybody has compared premium strings to something strings that would be most helpful.

3 Likes

Nylon lasts a really long time, but it does have different play qualities than poly, so it can take a little time to get used to it. I personally use Airetic, but I’ve also heard great things about Markmont.Formulas and that they last a really long time.

6 Likes

It’s really hard to accurately predict your experience with different strings so the best advice is to either buy it yourself or try it off someone else.

I use kitty xxl btw. I plan on picking up a 50 pack sochi fat eventually.

Nylon is kind of an acquired taste, but on paper it’s far superior to poly.

3 Likes

I REALLY need to start organizing my strings better.

I put a new string on one of my yos several days ago and have since put hours of practice onto that string…and I’m absolutely loving it! I’m looking at it right now and there’s zero hints of fraying and it’s still super clean. Almost looks new!
All I know is it’s nylon, and that I want to buy a ton more of them.
But I don’t know who made the string! >.<’
It is yellow though…so that narrows it down! lmao

I’m a huge believer in quality strings. I’ve been lucky enough to try quite a few. There’s still some strings I’ve been using off and on from 3 or 4 months ago that are still working too well to throw out!

6 Likes

I’ve tried out various different strings, as with most things it is all down to personal preference.

As far as premium strings go I have used Zipline which is good, lots of colour options and their poly strings are lovely and soft. On the down side some find them a bit short and they don’t necessarily last a long time. Their poly/nylon blends however last ages and well worth checking out.

Markmont Formulas however DO believe the hype! So far I have tried the Dragon and the Cumulous Foam and am mega impressed with both. I’m about a week and a half into using each and both holding up surprisingly well!

5 Likes

I’ve used various Ziplines (really good), Markmont. Formulas (Night Moves and 65 - believe all the hype on these, and YYSL Type X (still my current go to). I’ve also used whatever bulk that comes with YYF yoyos, as well as regular Kitty. The YYSL, Ziplines, and Markmont strings last seemingly forever, hold tension very well, and, mostly feel good on the hand. The Night Moves is a little coarse, but, for its ability to whip, I will make that trade. I will update after I wash the Markmonts as to how close they return to original performance.

4 Likes

Do you have a photo of the cut end of it? I feel like playing detective…

2 Likes

Starting to get a bit dirty…still no signs of fraying though!
I’ve been switching this string around to all the throws I’ve been using this past week and it’s got probably 4 or 5 hours on it now. Absolutely loving it!

I think it might be an Aeritic. @TheThrowingGnome sent me some of them…why I didn’t keep them separate from my other strings is beyond me lol. Lesson learned!

6 Likes

I’ve done similar before… it isn’t an issue when I find a string I don’t like, but, as you have seen, it is a pain in the neck when there is a string you really enjoy and can’t remember what it is.

Now, I have a small parts box from Home Depot where I keep my strings (along with label of what each is). It only took me a few years to figure that one out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perfect idea! Thanks man!!

2 Likes

Those look a lot like Airetic strings, but there’s only 1 way to find out!
Buy out their stock and compare them!

2 Likes

It’s an Airetic! I have one just like it I’ve been using for like 6 months!

5 Likes

Yep looks like Airetic HyperGlo - my favorite string right now

2 Likes

Search feature is your best friend.

2 Likes

Apparently not his :grin:

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you Gnome Gnomes! This one came from you! :smiley: :heart:

2 Likes