Popular yo-yo that you just couldn't get into?

I still think the Cadence is a good yoyo, for some reason. Honestly one of the best i own.

Why am i not regretting it?
-probably since i did not expect anything SUPER amazing, and i have wanted it for so many months, plus, the cadence is the only throw i have thats a mono, and is really floaty and light, plus the weight distribution gives it a good feel imo.

hey @zslane
Do you like super rim weighted throws?

3 Likes

Please don’t put random giant bold text in your posts :see_no_evil:

I think @zslane is a bit wacky when it comes to rim weight. Cadence is a perfectly good yo-yo. But they did release a new tweaked version of it, also!

3 Likes

I do prefer a lot of rim weight, though I tend to be more lenient on that front when it comes to more organic-shaped throws. The Cadence disappointed me with its mediocre spin time, mediocre stability, and extra width. The SE claims to have a bit more weight shifted to the rims, but it is still too wide for my liking.

3 Likes

Fixed it, literally just found it today though, im starting to find more text modifications.

1 Like

ah, i now see why you do prefer the VTWO.

1 Like

I think that any yoyo, pushed hard enough can go fast.

5 Likes

Agreed, but that wasn’t really the point I was trying to make. Of course all yoyos will go fast if you push hard enough; the Magpie however is designed to be played fast; therefore, you don’t not need to push it as hard as other yoyos to get the same speed.
It’s like fingerspins. You can fingerspin on all yoyos if you try hard enough, but the yoyos designed for fingerspins will fingerspin with less work, just like yoyos that are designed to play fast will play fast with less work.

4 Likes

Why do you dislike your cadence? I’m assuming it’s the original and not the new ES model, correct?

Its at the top of my list for next throw to get, as the shape seems consistent with what I like. Was even interested in splashig out on the Ti version.

It seems like you have somewhat similar preferences to me, as I’m also a HUGE fan of my VTWO, and i know you are as well

Any insight would be awesome, thanks dude

3 Likes

The original Cadence simply disappointed me in terms of spin time and stability. It is more evenly weighted/balanced than I prefer; I am into heavily rim-weighted throws for the most part. It is also wider than I like. The ES may shift some of its weight towards the rims, but there is still the width issue. For the price I prefer the Sengoku Ashigaru or the YYF ND.

2 Likes

Thanks for elaborating on that man, I appreciate it.

I’ve read a lot about rim weight vs. even or center weighted. I think I understand the pros and cons of the different distributions.

But I’m not quite sure what a ring weighted yoyo feels like in my hands. What would you consider the VTWO’s distribution to be? How bout the Banshee. Trying to get a better idea of what I like. I’m pretty sure that I’m into V shapes, but still not sure about all my preferences exactly

Thanks again, Z

1 Like

The VTWO and Banshee are very rim weighted. They have a weight distribution similar to a bimetal. Now, the new MVP is really pushing this idea to the extreme, but yoyos like the two you mention provide spin time and stability similar to bimetals but without the odd aesthetics of the new MVP.

Other monometals that also perform like bimetals–in my experience–but which do not have a traditional V shape are: OD Top Deck, OD Kuntosh 5000QV, YYR Sleipnir, MFD Pixel Ape.

1 Like

I’ve been hearing a LOT of good things about the Topdeck and maybe my expectations was too high but when I finally tried one aT OD’s booth, it was a bit of a let down, I was good and all but nothing outstanding nor distinct.
However I was very, VERY impressed by the Kuntosh and I enjoyed it the most out of all of OD stuff there.

6 Likes

Agree completely^^

The Top Deck enjoys this legendary status, so I was extremely excited to try it out. Was very underwhelmed. Not bad by any means, but it seemed completely unremarkable in my opinion. However, the VTWO is a One Drop offering in my top 5 for sure.

Anyone got anything they can tell me about the Valor from OD? Like i said I adore the second edition of Vilmos’s signatures, and the Valor looks very similar to the VTWO. Maybe too similar? Wondering if they’re the same except for the Valor having one additional ‘groove’ cut in the V, which seems purely cosmetic.

Anyone got any info?

2 Likes

My first One Drop was a Top Deck, and when I got it I couldn’t throw it straight to save my life. I couldn’t keep it straight after a lucky straight throw either, and it drove me nuts. I put it away and didn’t throw it again for months. Upon getting a VTWO, and experiencing a maddening degree of precession, I decided to swap out its flat bearing for a grooved concave bearing just to see what difference it could make. It was like night and day, and it transformed the VTWO from another disappointment into my favorite throw of my entire collection.

So I went back and put a grooved centering bearing in my Top Deck and it too was transformed into something sublime. I get the same sort of performance that I get from the VTWO, but in a different shape (O-ish). And the Kuntosh 5000QV also provides similar performance in a different shape (W-ish). It’s nice to know that I have a One Drop with bimetal performance no matter what shape I’m in the mood for at any given moment (One Drop is a bit short on H-shapes though).

I’ve since taken to putting grooved centering bearings in all of my One Drops. This has taught me that I am simply not flat bearing compatible. It also taught me that the Top Deck is tremendously better than my first impressions led me to believe.

4 Likes

Shutter Wide Angle. I’m sure I’m insulting a few of you but I think it’s the shape/balance. I thought I was gonna love it after so many rave reviews but it just doesn’t feel right for me. I’ve put at least 12 hours on the thing and don’t gel with it like I do with the Metal Yeti

5 Likes

Maybe you are anti-wide like @zslane? I am pro-wide myself.

7 Likes

Says the guy who loves the Deep State above all other yoyos.

4 Likes

That’s responsive though! You can’t have a mega-wide responsive. It just … doesn’t work. Try it!

2 Likes

To be fair, the Deep State does seem awesome!

1 Like

@zslane Once again, you’re speaking ny language haha. I swapped my VTWO’s flat bearing right away, as I’m way too sucky to rock a flat bearing currently. I honestly don’t think I’ve tried doing the same with me top deck yet though. And now that I think about it that may change a lot of my complaints about it. Seems like it just doesnt spin very long, and I have problems keeping it on plane as well. Both things that a bearing change may well fix. I happened to have just ordered both gold and platinum played YYR bearings just minutes ago, so now I’ll actually have another centering bearing to throw in it. Definitely going to give it a shot

@codinghorror Speaking of responsives, my order just now also included a black GT, which is my first metal responsive. I believe I’ve seen you give a favorable opinion on it before? I was wondering if it’ll be responsive right out of the box, or if I’ll have to lube it up or anything to get it there. Any advice would be great

2 Likes