POLL: How many of you have real life yoyo friends?

How many of you have real life yoyo buddies, and how many of you only interact with other throwers online?

I don’t have any real life friends who play with yoyos. Yet… MUAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well, that’s not really a sinister idea… It’s just a regular idea. But there’s no laugh for a regular idea… (Office reference anybody?)

My oldest son is just barely starting to get the hang of tug responsive (gravity pull), so that sort of counts

• I have real life yoyo friends
  • All of my yoyo homies are online
  • Both

0 voters

4 Likes

I have real life yoyo acquaintances. I just moved to Chicago this year, met some cats at the Chicago yoyo club. Dunno if I would say “friend”, but they’re all really cool. I’m a grown man so legit friends are rare. That circle got smaller and smaller as I got older

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Mid 30’s, moved to Massachusetts this year and have acquaintances that yoyo. I can’t say that I have actual friends so much as an adult. At least here, I lived in SC for 15 years and have a couple friends that I was close to. Here the yoyo community is strong. There is a Boston Group, @YoYoExpert, and A2Z store. Since I moved up here I have stopped in at YYE many times and the guys always make you feel like we go way back. Very positive enviroment. But alas I think it is hard as a working adult, with kids, to have many “friends” that yoyo.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s exactly my situation. I’m from Miami but I moved when we had kids, then again just this year (my kids are about 10 yr). I still work in Florida, just remote telecommute, so I also don’t leave the house very often and spend most of my time with my kids and my wife.

3 Likes

I work from home alot as well. I travel throughout Southern New England meeting clients as well. So same here, mostly family time, which is great, or with customers.

4 Likes

75% of the people I talk to are through the internet, but I do have club and I have been to a few contests where I have met a few people.

2 Likes

You’re using this word “friend”, and I don’t know what that is

4 Likes

Well you see, when one person kinda likes another person a little bit… but not too much because then it gets weird…

11 Likes

I’m really lucky that I have an active club that lets me attend a lot of meets. I’ve turned internet friends into real life friends by travelling to contests. Just because they’re not local (or even live in the same continent as me) doesn’t mean I don’t consider them real life friends.

I even consider @AndreBoulay a real life friend because I met him once (and he’s really funny in person!). We’ve since shared a few stories and worked together.

8 Likes

Other than people I have taught, I have you guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My only yoyo friend moved 3 states away a month after I met him. I struggled with barrell rolls for 1 1/2 months. He taught it to me in 5-6 minutes.

4 Likes

I have only met one other person in west Illinois that throws. I used to work with him but lost contact when I got a new job.

3 Likes

How “west Illinois” are we talking?

2 Likes

I own the American made yoyo company. So yes i have real life yoyo friends. I don’t like to play favorites but I’m very partial to Pacifica CA and Oregon.
Thanks for your support.
I invented the rocket widget by the way.
Your welcome.

4 Likes

I feel sad now xd. Ive never met a thrower irl and all the nearest clubs are a bit far.

3 Likes

Wait wait wait, you just communicated a lot of information in that little paragraph. Help me unpack it all

So first, you own a yoyo company?

4 Likes

With the World Yo-Yo Contest happening this year in Cleveland again I hope to see everyone there! :blush:

https://www.cleveland2019.com

12 Likes

Almost as west as possible. On the Illinois and Iowa boarder

3 Likes

I have no friends.

I just know people.

I have been convicted of felony yoyo in public.

I have had to register as a yoyo offender.

And after 18 years in solitary confinement; I live in an Igloo on the edge of an ice flow.

Penguins bring me leftover anchovies and I throw 2A using only fixed axle with fishing line for string.

Sometimes Yohans sends me cans of warmth from Arizona.

But other than that; I am a friend of the friendless.

… On the brighter side; I am getting an Akita in the mail today. image

And if the weather gets up to 30 below zero; I may just buy a tent from Overstock.com

And I’m getting a mirror so I can have somebody to talk to.

Santa got stuck in my chimney while I was roasting Snickerdoodles. And now the punk is taking me to Peoples Court cuz I damaged his threads🙀

Today is the saddest day of my life.

Merry Christmas :santa:t3:

PS… by the way; the FedEx guy delivered the Akita to one of my neighbors. The neighbors address is distinctively different than mine. And I have been at the same address for 30 years. My neighbor almost tripped over it on his porch; after coming home from running errands.
… Glad the folks close to my house are pretty cool.

12 Likes

I think it’s super cool that you, @sfyoyos, @G2_Jake, @MrYoyoThrower and @MrBist are participating here, as people who regularly create, ship and sell awesome yo-yos!

(and apologies if I didn’t mention any other yoyo company folks!)

7 Likes