Pokemon games : do you nickname your pokemon?

So , Currently I’m playing pokemon sun.
I like to give them nicknames.
My Vaporeon is called Aquapurr (level 100.)
Hitmontop named Spintastics, my archen (still training ) is flyingBadAss.
My litten now at level 63 I think, (I don’t evolve her) is called kittyOfDoom
I also have a shiny sharpedo which I called P!nk. It is a female. Shiny wailord called Deep Purple. All my shinies are caught by me (:smile:
To name a few. I keep nicknamin’ them. And I like it!
Does anyone nickname their pokemon?

3 Likes

Yes, you must always give your companions a name. You wouldn’t call a dog, Dog would you?

1 Like

I only name the ones that I really enjoy seeing, like Bidoof and whichever starter I picked.

1 Like

Recently played Soulsilver and I had to give everything I caught a name.

1 Like

https://hackernoon.com/finding-missingno-4df003345ccd

6 Likes

I never did. No nicknames i had for them were cooler than their real names.

2 Likes

Anything I put in a gym I name “DumpTrump”

And one Snorlax named “Big Guida”

3 Likes

My starter is always named Squishy

1 Like

I think I was too old for Pokeymen when it came out but I do remember downloading a gameboy emulator on the PC and playing the first Pokeymen game and being surprised by how not rubbish it was.

I did when I last played twenty years ago. ( And was “too old” for it then, too.)

I apologize in advance, this is not on topic with the OP, but if you enjoyed the article @codinghorror linked to above, I thought you might enjoy my story about the Pokemon red/blue glitches too. I’ll post on the nicknames topic in a little while.

I had a lot of fun with this little glitch myself, duplicating rare candies, master balls, my favorite TMs and other power ups, but there were a few things this article left out. First, if you caught Missingno and started throwing rare candies at it, mine would eventually evolve into kangaskhan. Not sure if anyone else tried this. I also sometimes bumped into my rival on that coast, but he too had a bunch of weird glitches for pokemon. The music got weird during the battle and like any trainer battle, you couldn’t flee, so you’d better have pokemon above level 30 because that was the range of creatures he had: a bunch of glitches and a randomly placed flareon. No idea why.

Random, I know, but there was something else I found on that east coast of Cinnebar that I wanted to share with you. I found a pokemon with a level above 100 (the maximum level normally allowed in the game) with other stats to match, such that its attack, defense, speed, etc. were higher than any level 100 you could get in the game. The article slightly alluded to this glitch but didn’t give many details.

It seemed that everyone I talked to had different ones in their games. Mine was golduck, level 131 and it knew hydro pump twice if memory serves (also impossible in the game). My cousin had marowack , lv. 154 I think, and my best friend, I found, had cloyster, around the upper 130s I think.

If you catch these things with those glorious duplicated master balls you could get, you had an ultimate weapon, or so my best friend thought… but there was more to them and what you could do with them.

I had learned to avoid catching Missingno and its various iterations, but catching these impossibly high level pokemon only messed with your hall of fame pc info. I never cared about that stuff anyway! So I started experimenting with my new secret golduck weapons!

If I took it into a regular battle in the game, it would “level up” after its first extremely easy battle (remember those crazy high stats?) To level 100 and its stats would drop to the normal levels for a pokemon at that level. Except for that weird second hydro pump move it knew, the mysteriousness was over. Time to catch another and try again!

This time I used rare candies (again duplicated by that wonderful glitch, Missingno). And I kept using them, and kept using them. This golduck’s level kept going higher with stats to match, until it reached level 256. Its stats were now around 600 each. Why 256? Because if I used one more rare candy, it leveled up to level 0, with attack and defense stats in the single digits, so I left my secret weapons at level 256.

So, why have a secret weapon of a level 256 golduck if it’ll just level up to 100 if it receives so much as 1 experience point? Because pokemon don’t gain experience points during linked battles and they stay at that impossibly high level for the whole fight! These things could wipe the floor with anyone else’s level 100s and even the level 100+ glitches they caught if they didn’t know how high you could take them with rare candies.

Anyway, hopefully there are a few who played those old games who understood and enjoyed my story.

2 Likes

I have fond memories of Pokemon red. I remember using the glitch that let you catch mew. You had to first get an Abra then battle a couple of trainers and when you get to a particular one teleport away just as they see you.

I was always to worried about getting missingno because I heard it could break your game, guess I was wrong.

Oddly enough, I found that Missingno and the weird 'M glitch would mess up your game completely only if it got deposited in your pc box. Catching it without a full party with you would keep it with you and I think it wouldn’t mess up the game, but catching it was never really worthwhile to me. It was better to run and allow the duplication glitch take effect. I wonder if the downloadable pc emulators have these glitches preserved?

I might be wrong but I think the roms are exact copies of the original source material for the game, so I think the glitches would carry over.

First of all, I apologize to @Hydrona for going off the rails of your forum topic earlier. Now I’d like to bring us back to your topic. Ok, so, about nicknames:

I didn’t give nicknames back when I was playing the old red/blue/yellow games, but around the time I got Emerald, I did start giving nicknames. Some of them were whimsical, like calling my zubat, “Bruce” after Batman, or calling marrill “Bob” or “Bobber” because of the pokedex info about using its tail as a floatation device. There’s something kind of funny about naming a Porygon “Y2K” or maybe “Megabyte,” if you liked the old Reboot series, or naming a voltorb, “Capacitor.” I thought a spinda with the name “Dizzy” or a slowpoke with the name “Dopey” was always kind of goofy, yet fun, so why not, right? I thought it might be cool to name Raikou in my Soulsilver version “Thor” because, well, it kind of fits.

Sometimes I’d name something like an electrike or a houndour after either my old dog or after a favorite dog character from a Disney movie, like Shadow from the Homeward Bound Movies. I liked naming my favorite bagon that I would evolve into Salamence something like Juggernaught because it seemed unstoppable when you could breed a bagon that knew hydro pump and then teach it fire blast later. Sometimes I’d like to name them after the animals some of them are based on too. My favorite is to name a kabuto, “Isotelus” after one the largest genera of trilobites, or name a tentacool after one of the deadliest species of jellyfish, “Iricanji” (not sure abiut spelling there).

It becomes a fun exercise in creativity and I found giving nicknames to be another way to truly make the game my own. Those Pokemon games were some of the most unique games ever made with the ability to play in a multitude of different ways. After all these years they still somehow manage to captivate the imagination.

3 Likes

That kind of makes me want to try an emulator now. The batteries in all my old GB fames are dead and I’m too lazy to solder in a new battery and I’m too cheap to pay someone else to do it, lol!

I have been into pokemon since the originals. I have always been against nick names. Mainly because there are so many names to remember. It helps me keep them all straight easier without extra made up names. Being a living pokedex is one of my greatest skills.

1 Like

I definitely understand your position. In the originals, especially, that was definitely a problem. It was really hard to navigate the pc box menus and try to remember who I put where, haha! The newer games are much better about being easy to navigate, organize, and find whichever pokemon you’re looking for, with or without a nickname.

1 Like