Pls share advice: Best way to make money as teen

This is some solid advice. Especially considering how many parents are dealing with remote learning.

3 Likes

lol I once thought I was going to make it big going door to door selling kitchen knives. >.<’

Yeah, I don’t want to talk about it! :rofl:

9 Likes

Track what items sell the most, use your capital to reinvest in your business venture by buying popular products in bulk to save money. You’ll spend more money up-front but make more money in the long run.

Netting (I’m assuming) $50/day selling snacks in high school is pretty good.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m aiming for. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Bulk candy has pretty good margins, and is an easy upsell.

Tutoring seems less precarious though

4 Likes

Might be better to be less vague. I’m not sure entrepreneur is a job. More like that umff to get yourself out there.

Sounds like you know how to play " middle man" though. From experience, that’s a full time hustle and you need plenty of clients.
Kinda reminds me of something…

6 Likes

Find a job and always show up, work your butt off, show initiative, be extremely responsible, ask for more responsibilities, and save your money. Never treat or complain about even a menial job as if you are too good for it. Lots of entrepreneurs / successful people started off washing dishes and stocking shelves.

9 Likes

I would say getting a job is still your best bet at any pay rate, if you were to calculate the time and effort put into your current income im sure you would find your hourly rate isn’t that stellar.

7 Likes

Selling your body for medical experiments. Yep I said it. My brother in law got a few thousand bucks to try some hair growing something. They tattooed four little dots on his scalp and that was the testing/sampling area. Only growing hair in the little box was counted. Also you could sell your blood. Yep vampires pay handsomely for the stuff. But all kidding aside if it was that easy someone would have told you by now. You seem to have the business sense So find a new market. Your the snack man be the candy man as well. Does anyone deliver cheeseburgers?? Pizza anyone? Box lunch. Good luck kid, Ti can get pricy!

6 Likes

@ChrisFrancz has the right answer! Many many times I’ve started at the bottom and ended up as upper management or owner of the company! Just outwork everyone else and never compromise your morals!

6 Likes

Ditto!

Work hard to be the top dog.

5 Likes

These teenage entrepreneurs seem to have figured it out:

4 Likes

Well one of the teen’s dad is Dan Gilbert so I don’t really know if it’s fair to say they “figured it out” lol.

And for the OPs question, look for a job bussing tables in a restaurant. They usually make well above minimum wage with their tips.

13 Likes

“It’s easy to get a high-paying job! Just do what I did and have your dad land you a job at his law firm.”

Not to completely discredit them, because I’m sure they put a lot of effort into their business…but come on.

8 Likes

Put in hard work. Show up and be reliable. You can rise up pretty fast if you outshine the rest.

And 9 out of 10 times, it’s not that hard to be better than the competition.

3 Likes

This is why some rich look down on the poor. Being poor is viewed as a character flaw.

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty sure it was a sarcastic post based on what he highlighted. Obvious they didn’t “start from nothing.” Nothing other than start-up capital and daddy’s connections.

4 Likes

As a former teacher, tutoring is great, provided that you have the personality for it. If you are impatient and/or don’t have a good handle on the material it can be a frustrating job. Also keep in mind you may need to put in some prep work before each session or afterwards checking work. Good luck.

5 Likes

Epstein Island! Billion dollar enterprise, trickle down economics etc etc.

2 Likes

As a teen, you’re not gonna have a lot of options as you won’t have a lot of work history/connections built up.

So basically, you have a few options as I see it:

Find a new gig like tutoring, as others have said. Talk to your parents, teachers, etc to see if there are any opportunities in your school or in the neighborhood that might get you some money.

Increase the margins of/decrease the amount of effort required for your current hustle. As others have said, buy online in bulk. Instead of going to the supermarket daily, keep track of what your customers are ordering and buy your week’s stock over the weekend. If you’re collecting orders manually, set up a Google form where they can submit orders electronically. That could also feed into a Google Sheet that aggregates order quantities so you can analyze trends. Basically analyze your consumer behaviors to anticipate need/shortfall and use technology to work smarter.

Develop a new skill that could lead to better-paying opportunities that you can do in addition to your current snack order venture. Learn basic web design or digital photography. This is a longer game strategy but with effort you can learn a skill relatively quickly these days with YouTube and other resources.

Regardless, it’s gonna take hard work and time, either establishing connections or doing market research or upskilling, usually a combination of all three. The only shortcut is to have wealthy parents who own Quicken Loans and can basically bankroll your venture, and even then you need to be able to deliver a solid product (“my kid made this” only gets you so far when margins start getting impacted). Sorry but them’s the facts.

4 Likes