Please explain to my Bro...

Well said Brother. Just one question then. Why do they call it the sport ladder? lol

[quote=“icthus,post:41,topic:10716”]
imo, sport ladder is the most ‘sporty’ kind of yo-yoing there is. clear and totally quantifiable. ‘next up: spirit bomb - either you make it or miss it.’ any spectator can observe who wins/loses. unfortunately, it isn’t creative, and there ARE no spectators because it isn’t fun to watch. it doesn’t pretend to tell ‘who the best yo-yoer’ is… just ‘who was able to hit these tricks’.

say what you want about how lame compulsories used to be, at least they offered a reasonable justification for who won. i’m not saying we should go back to that system, but no one’s ever convinced me that raw freestyles are a better setup for a ‘sport’ either.

yo-yo freestyles are kind of like watching the harlem globetrotters; a great show full of amazing skill. the difference is that while no one cares about the score of the globetrotters games, we make contest results out to be this huge deal, as if they’re really capable of determining who the best in the world is, who’s 2nd best, etc. in reality, they tell ‘who got the most clicks for reasons that the observers (including most of the yo-yoers and even some judges) don’t fully understand’. if you want to see the best basketball, you have to apply some structure as in the nba. same thing if we want to be able to say ‘who won’ yo-yo contest x with any legitimacy. we can’t possibly expect a panel of judges to click a blinding 3-minute freestyle in real-time at 1.5 clicks/second (or more) and then invest in the results.

the question becomes ‘what do we want?’… unfettered creativity on stage or legitimate results? i’m inclined to go with the former.

edit: sorry for the tangent.

edit-edit: i’d LOVE to see a contest that had real-time click data develop - that SHOWED the audience how many clicks the freestyle gets as it happens. true judge-accountability. show the instant replay and ask ‘so why did jensen get 3 clicks for this combo?’ the problem is, what judge would sign up for that?! they’d run the risk of being way off and looking incompetent… AND YET THAT’S WHAT WE ASK THEM DO AT EVERY CONTEST WITHOUT ACCOUNTABILITY!

So we need LeBron James to yo-yo so the winner is always him?

righto it is a sport. ping pong is an olimpic sport why cant yoyoing be a sport

Have you ever seen professional table tennis? ITS CRAZY!!!

I <3 ping pong, and atari pong…