A story with myself, my mom, my sister, and a yoyo.

So like I wanted to get you guys’ opinions on this.

I was playing with my new G5 that i got for my birthday and then my little sister walks up and says she wants to start yoyoing (Not serious really but not in that spoiled I WANT EVERYTHING way). My mom tells me to give her one of mine. I give her my old DM2 that i really don’t use for anything but 5A which I’m god awful at. But I know she won’t put the yoyo to use and will probably end up breaking it. I really don’t use the DM2 often anymore seeing as how I have better options now. But should I let her keep it? It seems like a waste of 40$.

What your opinion?

A value can never be put on opportunity.

That should sum up anything else I will say. But I’ll still say it. The thing that I preach the most in the world of yoyoing is not winning worlds, it isn’t coming up with a trick everyone wants to know, it’s giving the chance to pass the hobby on to others. Think of how much joy you have gotten from yoyoing, wouldn’t you want to pass it on? I know I try, whenever I get the chance, I pass out a yoyo. Now, not usually a SPYY or anything, but I have been known to give up a Bimetal or two if someone shows a real interest in the activity. Even if you don’t think that your sister will get into it, you should still let her have that yoyo.
Because the fact that you are giving her the chance is priceless. and if you’d like, I’ll send you one of my yoyos to give to her, rather than giving her your DMII.

Thank you for the offer but that isn’t the problem. I have no idea with GIVING her the yoyo. OH WAIT I DONT THINK I MENTIONED THIS IN THE THREAD. My sister is 5. Btw i fully agree with you. But the fact that she’s 5 might make this thread more sensable. lol i sounded so cheap in the thread just because id idnt include how she is 5 years old.

1 Like

I started to yoyo almost 2 months ago. My 7 year old kid said “nope” and changed her mind later. My 4 year old said “yup”, and won’t even do anything. So, my 2 year old takes the yoyos and beats the crap out of the other two with the yoyos, which is something she’s not supposed to touch.

Or, maybe you might understand this:
Every item in my house that CAN be used as a weapon WILL be used as a weapon. Their floor is littered with staples so it’s no longer safe to do anything except wear shoes in there, despite me spending HOURS vacuuming in there because someone accidentally left a stapler within reach(my wife, but that’s not the point).

At least the 7 year old is trying. Today she’s trying to learn Tower. Failing horrifically, but STILL trying.

If you’re gonna give her anything, make it a Duncan Butterfly. Looks cooler than an Imperial, nice and inexpensive and cheap enough to forget about should it not work out.

your mom should get her like a one, or a velocity. I mean… 5 is a bit young to start, but if she really wants to learn then she should have something a bit more indestructible, and a bit cheaper than a dm2

Ann connoly stareted at 5

1 Like

Not going to lie, a five year old would be better suited with a dollar store yoyo, because 5 year olds also have a habit of swinging and throwing things, and I’m not worried about the yoyo itself, but a yoyo could do some descent damage. She would probably be happier with it, since it lights up :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the opinions guys. Should i give her my metal drifter? It’s not responsive but it’s like 20$ and light. But it’s metal…

I think you should do what studio said, get her a duncan butterfly. it’s like 3-5 bucks and you can find them anywhere with toys.

NO, NO, NO!!

For the sake of preventing ER visits and shattering lamps and glassware, a THOUSAND TIMES NO!! Do not put a metal in a super young kid’s hands!

I stick behind my recommendation for the Duncan Butterfly, as it hurts LESS than an Imperial(the two impacts vs the rather combined halves of the Imperial). As a general rule, plastic hurts less than metal. A logical upgrade might be a Duncan Reflex because it costs less than a Yomega Brain, but that will be short lived at best. I say short lived because either A: She loves yoyo and wants better(in which case get her a YYF ONE in her favorite color) or B: she gets bored and she’s done. I’m hoping for A, but B is more likely. Still, hang onto it, whatever you get. She may just change her mind and want back into it later on. Don’t close the door!

If you’re gonna go in the $20 range, a Yomega Exodus II is right in there, it’s over-sized because it’s meant to also be used for 4A, and the rubber rim offers some degree of protection.

Short of that, dollar store throw. Hurts just as bad, but hurts less than a $5 yoyo going to waste/destruction than a $20 or $40 yoyo and can cause pretty much equal injury and/or damage in roughly the same amount of time.

ALSO, finally. Don’t give a 5 year old a non-responsive yoyo. That’s just begging them to quit before they get started. Clutch yoyos give instant gratification for MOST people.(wow, it comes back). Then the can throw it harder to disengage the clutch and enjoy SLEEPING yoyos, and then it comes back. Then they can throw hard to disengage the clutch and pull it back if they want to. Even so, a Duncan Butterfly is super responsive and a tiny bit cooler than the Imperial, and the same price.

My logic:
All kidding aside about damage and injury, you have to think about what the costs of learning should be. This is what I did, and I’m almost 40!
I got a Reflex and an Imperial at the same time. I used the Reflex to get started and learn the super SUPER basics. Then I moved onto the Imperial just to test/reinforce. Seeing success, I knew for me that it was time to move on and within 2 weeks, I was here on YYE and ordered a Dark Magic II. But, I made up my mind I wanted to learn this stuff, so it’s a bit different. I’ve since bought other stuff as well just to have handy and because it’s fun.

So, start inexpensive. At 5, she ain’t got enough arm to disengage the clutch. So why bother? She’ll definitely be able to throw it down and have it come back up though. Open up some options, save $3 and go with a Butterfly. If she’s showing real interest and moving through some stuff, then get her something better and responsive. I would recommend a YYF ONE because they are inexpensive and a bit undersized, way fun and way light, perfect for a starter and ship unresponsive. Get the one with the spare bearing so she can progress to unresponsive play when she’s ready. I have a ONE, and I like it and intend to keep it responsive for now. When she’s into unresponsive play, at that point she’s hooked, so let her progress and then surprise her with a nicer yoyo. I’m starting to learn binding now, so my DM2 is set unresponsive now.

Or, if you want to skip the intro phase , just get a ONE in the color she likes best of what they have available.

Key thing besides keeping costs down: You want to encourage success and want to tip the scales in that direction as much as possible. When I was 7, I got a Duncan Imperial. Nobody showed me how to use it but I really wanted to use it. After several months, the string finally wore itself out and broke, which didn’t help matters much, considering I never got to back into my hand after doing improper throws. Not that I really ever gave up, but that initial discouragement never sat well with me. I decided “hey, I’m gonna learn this stuff now, who cares what my age is”, and here I am now.

My kids started with Yomega Brains because they didn’t like the color for the Duncan Reflex. Once they showed me they could do Gravity Pull, I ordered them YYF ONE’s. If they show they are really into it, they may eventually get what they think is the ultimate yoyo, the Dark Magic II, but they gotta earn it first.

I beg to differ with some of you, 5 is not too young.

Check out Tommy. We started yo-yoing around the same time and he puts me to shame. I sometimes learn stuff from him at yo-yo club.

http://vstevenson.com/tommy/

1 Like

I like you guys’ idea. My mom was planning to get her a gift anyway for graduating kindergarden. Ima tell my mom she should buy her a YYF ONE since it comes with an unresponse/responsive bearing and it’s not horrible for it’s price. Thanks.

Here’s my take on this as I have a slightly similar but different story. Today, I was out at a park for my niece’s softball game. I started throwing out some tricks when I noticed a kid with a yoyo there. Upon closer inspection, it was a ProFly. He didn’t know what he was doing other than swinging it around and towards his friend. After watching me do some tricks, his tone changed somewhat. He then came over and watched a few more tricks when he finally asked me some questions. Prior to, I heard the parent telling the kid he’s gotta practice like what I was doing. The parent came over also to see what was going on. Apparently, this kid wanted to learn but didn’t know what to do or how to do. The parent told the kid to listen to what I was saying (showed him how to make a slipknot, proper string length, and finally, throwing. I let him try out my Flying Panda (String attached). I told both him and his mother that if he really is serious about getting into yoyoing, and wanted something in a jiffy, he should check out the local TRU or visit YYE and get a nice cheap yoyo to start learning. Both seemed open to that idea and both the kid and his friend were then wanting to learn and hope for some yoyos for Christmas. In the end, I sparked some kids interest (and parental support) of this hobby.

Now that I’ve shared my yoyo story, I would like to recommend probably just buy her a ProFly or something of that calibur (probably even over an Imperial or Butterfly. A take-apart yoyo is always a good idea especially if they do have a slight desire to learn. It will also make it easier for you should they come up with tangled up string inside their yoyo. I wouldn’t hand off the DM2 however, kind of sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

1 Like

I don’t entirely agree or disagree that 5 is too young.

In my case, with my kids, one is 7 and one is 4. If the 4 year old would just make a little more effort, he’d be upgraded from his Brain yoyo to the ONE waiting for him. The 7 year old is fine tuning her throw, having moved on from a Brain to a ONE, and she’s trying to learn some picture tricks.

I think in general, 5 is probably too young, and I think my 4 year old is actually a bit too young. Parents should make their own decisions based on their best judgement. I spend like $8 for the Brain and another $10 for a ONE for the 4 year old, which is sufficient. If he loses interest, I’ll just hang onto the Brain and the ONE and have it ready for him when he thinks he’s ready to go for it again. Right now, I try to encourage but not push. I’m trying to get success, not forced results.

Whatever way you go, just ensure it’s a positive experience. My first experience was horrible. I always thought yoyo was cool, always enjoyed seeing it on TV or in person. Never too old to learn, but maybe too young to start. When my other kids show interest, I’ll be ready for it. I think even my wife wants to learn. Who knows, maybe the family that throws together stays together.

If she’s five, it’s going to be hard for her to break it… Maybe dent it, but not break it.

at 3 years old, i had broken many things. including 3-4 yoyos. when i was 12, i decided to get a dm2 (and it got hugely dinged anyways…) but trust me. a 5 year old can break almost anything. totally serious.

My kids are true destructors. They seem to have a need to destroy anything they can get within 100 feet of.

You name it, they’ve tried to break it, and often have succeeded. Never underestimate the destructive capability of a determined child. A yoyo on a swinging string has HUGE potential for damaging people, pets and property.

Kids may vary. Some kids aren’t so damage oriented as my kids are.

Spencer Nelson from Chico Yo-yo Company is only 8 years old. He’s a young professional alright. Now think about that. A kid only about 3 years older than your little sister is that good. I believe he started a bit younger than your sister. Now imagine your sister in a few years. A yo-yo can show how fast someone learns or creates. Until she gets her ONE, let her use your DM. Just keep her away from breakable objects.