Plastic yoyo dings

I was wondering how much a ding effects my replay pro. Is it as devastating to the performance of the yoyo as in a metal? http://;D >:( :frowning: :o 8) ??? ::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :’( :slight_smile: :wink:

I’ve generally found that a ding or 2 does not affect the performance of any yoyo, plastic or metal. In any event it’s not devastating unless you run over it or something similar. Dings hurt you more than the yoyo.

Nothing… Related to yoyos or yoyoing is devastating.

Devastating is when you take your dog for a walk and fail to see the Cement truck driving on the sidewalk and end up with a leash connected to something Flat.

Devastating is when you try to show your Grandparents how to start a Barbeque and you Burn their house down.

Devastating is when you are at the DMV and you Fail your Drivers test right in front of your Girlfriends parents.

Devastating is when you are giving a yoyo demonstration at a Wedding reception and your string breaks and your Yoyo smacks the Bride right in the Forehead.

Devastating is not applicable to anything yoyo related.

Yoyos are kinda like Skateboards… They are only brand new when they are brand new…

After that they aren’t new again.

Focus more on actually playing and learning tricks than the performance repercussions resulting from minor yoyo damage.

Just as in skateboarding, as you gain experience, your focus on the consequences of minor damage will mean little.

I wouldn’t kid you…

4 Likes

^:D Great post, yoyodoc.

I agree with you both. A couple of dings doesn’t really damage the yoyo’s play, just the appearance. The only dings that affect the yoyo’s play are the ones that take off several layers of metal or plastic. Other than that, just keep playing them and don’t let the dings affect you too much. Dings are “love marks” on the yoyo. The yoyo is meant to be played and the dings show that you do.
The more you hang around Steve Brown, watch his videos, or read his posts, the more you’ll understand not to worry about dings. :smiley:

1 Like

cough BRANDON VU MADE A VIDEO ON THIS cough

::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

1 Like

Dings are only devastating if you ding some highly collectable throw that knocks a lot of money off it’s worth. Very few yoyos are highly collectable, and the replay pro is like the most common plastic ever. It’s mean’t to be played hard, and it’s easy to replace should it break.

So I’ve used replay pros a lot. They are great cheap throws. That is why I take them to school with me. People want to try them out and something “bad” always happens. I have one that has been over tightened to the point where it is almost an extra revolution around and has a ton of material shredded off of it (darn cement). Other than vibe it still plays great! They can take a lot of damage before they are crazily affected.

I wish more people understood this. Key words here are “knocks a lot of money off.” It really bothers me when I see someone on eBay or BST selling a desirable or collectible metal that’s dinged for close to retail value. If you ding a $200 throw, guess what? It’s no longer worth $200, or even $180 (in my mind at least)… and yet people still seem to think that they can ask for this much regardless of the damage caused. They will say “it doesn’t affect play” or “the dings don’t cause any vibe.” While those two things are probably true, it doesn’t mean the throw is still worth what they paid for it brand-new.

I am both a yoyo player and yoyo collector. There are some yoyos I do not play with like my Peak, Project, Pyro, and a few others since they are no longer made, and because I don’t want to lower their value in the unfortunate event of a mishap. I only play with throws that I’ve accepted will get the occasional (and inevitable) ding or scuff. No matter how careful/advanced you are, you will clunk a yoyo onto the ground or into something at some point if you use it a lot.

Plastics are very nice because they hide dings much better than anodized metals. Plastics are my daily carries and I would much rather ding a plastic than a metal any day of the week. One thing I like to do is buy throws that are already pre-dinged by someone else. This is really nice because you don’t have to obsess about damaging it and you obviously get it for a much lower price.

Most of my throws have some kind of love mark on it, not because I’m a clumsy player. It’s just that things happen. Yoyo still works, the sound initially makes you cringe but in the end, it’s bound to happen. It suck when it happens but at the same time, depending on the circumstances, it’s reminder of possibly something cool you tried.

Just after a whole day of owning a Borealis…

I sense self contradiction

Umm…

EDIT: Ninja’d

Amazingly this isn’t the first or the last time you go out of your way to pick apart something I say, lol.

The OP used the word ‘devastating’ in relationship to yoyo damage.

The complete statement I made(not your partial excerpt), clearly identifies only damage to the Brides head.

There is no mention of any damage to the yoyo itself.

My statement; which no doubt you clearly understood, was simply an opportunity to pick the fly crap out of a mound of pepper.

My saying the word ‘devastating’ has nothing to do with yoyos, specifically meant related to yoyo dings.

So there is no contradiction. You just jumped on the chance to pick hairs like Connorspears does.(another crybaby).

I Know you are smart enough to know exactly what I meant. But if you are not really as smart as I think you are; then you are probably too dumb to understand what I just said.

Most interesting how nobody else seemed to have any difficulty with my post…

PS… I could have said, ‘devastating’ is not applicable to anything yoyo DAMAGE related’.

I guess it was just destiny to give you something to whine about…

1 Like

Jeeze haha, by any chance are these all life experiences?

No need for that. I wasn’t whining, just joking :slight_smile: no need to jump to conclusions. I don’t think that you need to write essays on every post, and jump down anyone’s throat who says anything but praise about them.

Honestly I don’t want this thread to be locked, so I will stop arguing now.

Actually no…My real life experiences are more like dealing with Clowns like Nightshadow and Connerspears.

Guys that feel compelled to dictate when and how long my postings should be.

Guys that completely disregard posts 5 times longer than mine. Yet suggest my posts are either Essays or just plain trouble starting arguments.

They never identify any humor or potential constructive usefulness to any of my posts.

They just most often pick out one sentence from my ‘Essays’ and bend the meaning to suit their purpose.

Like flies at a picnic… They just try to keep trying to land on the food.

Oops, almost forgot the happy face😳

1 Like

It’s a matter of perspective.

I guess if we’re picking apart things, devastating is not getting hit in the head with a yoyo at your wedding or failing a drivers test in front of anyone. I mean there’s always cancer, child slavery, famine, etc. …

I think the OP’s question is pretty clear.

You… Are picking things apart.

I simply presented the reality that the word ‘devastating’ Does not really apply to minor yoyo damage affecting performance.

If you understand perspective well enough to exaggerate it, then should have had no problem understanding the intension of my view.

The fact that your post simply attempts to derail simple logic, identifies you as just another fly at the picnic.

Welcome… The melon is over there—>

2 Likes

i remember meeting a good friend of mine named Noel Kunz who is a professional yoyoer and a great guy. He let me play his personal drop bear and the first thing i noticed was how beat it was. It was what some say had been devastated. its a common trend among the professionals i have met. Their personal yoyos are somewhat ding and smashed, but they seem to love them the most.

Don’t worry too much about the damage. Just played the dang thing and enjoy the awesome new landscape you have on your rims. Also if you worry to much about dings you’ll end up never playing your more expensive yoyos.

1 Like

K thanks. I just think it might be legitimately devastating to a kid if he messes up his yoyo, so he was asking for some advice.

I had a kickside that I let a friend use once before school. He thew the yoyo and it hit a curb with enough force to crack one of the halves in half. That was devastating to the performance of the yoyo.
It’s just an adjective I don’t get the interest in focusing on that word.

Plastic yoyos generally absorb dings a little better than metals, in most cases a lot better.
It’ll be hard to affect the play, but I’ve had it happen more than once.

1 Like