Plastic Yo-Yo for my cousin

So, here am I again, asking for advice when the previous yoyo I asked you about has still not arrived… Yeah, but this time it is not for me!

My “little” cousin (he is 15 and like 175 cm tall, so only little in age) wants to buy his first unresponsive yoyo after I gave him a duncan butterfly xt. Already taught him how to bind unresponsive, but he only knows a couple of basic tricks, so this would be his “learning yoyo”.

He is likely to hit himself with it (nervous guy) and doesn’t have the biggest budget, that’s why I think a plastic should do it for him.

So I’ve been looking and reading, and what I see is lots of people disagreeing. These are what I found:

YYF Replay Pro
Recess First Base
CLYW Big Dipper
sOMEThING Première

I don’t own any of them, and I was about to recommend him buying a Replay Pro, but with it weighing 69.2 grams I reaally don’t know what to do.

First Base for sure. It comes equipped with a responsive slim bearing but there is an upgrade bearing in the box. This means that he can change the bearing and play it 100% responsive or unresponsive (depending on his bearing of choice) and change back and forth all day long.
If he does not want this option, go for the Replay Pro. Probably the best all-around plastic on the market.

1 Like

Well… Sorry to have wasted your time man, he already bought the Replay Pro only some minutes after I told him the yoyos I was looking.

Nevertheless, thanks!

Tell him the First Base is better and maybe he can buy it some other time. I just got one recently and I’ve been yoyoing for 2.5 years and I love it. It’s not just a beginner’s yoyo.

1 Like

I own the First Base, Replay Pro, and the Big dipper and i must say the First base is the ultimate beginner throw. It comes stock with a thin bearing for all your responsive ticks but it also has a large bearing for unresponsive tricks. The only thing I found this yoyo can’t do is grinds and horizontal tricks. I would not think that would be a massive concern for a beginner though. I love mine. The other two are great as well but the First base will grow with you.

I know I’m the odd man out here, but I think the replay was definitely the right choice.
Or a classic.

Not that the First Base isn’t a good throw, but if it’s his first unresponsive, he will benefit from the added stability of the other two.

Also, he already has a butterfly XT which is a very good responsive yoyo.
The First base is MEH responsive for me, because I really want it to come back more reliably than it does.

You guys have been throwing for a while, so I’m sure stability is not as much of an issue, but us newbies need all the stability they can get :smiley: