Best cheap responsive-->unresponsive starter yoyo

I am going to be starting a yoyo club at my school and since there are going to be a lot of people that haven’t touched a yoyo since they were 5, I should recommend a cheap yoyo that can take them through the entire modern yoyo learning process. any thoughts or recommendations?

2 Likes

recess first base can be both responsive and unresponsive and is plastic so it doesnt rip your heart out if it dings

7 Likes

Aoe is my rec

5 Likes

First base are what I got for club and for the library collection cause I Stan recess. But honestly AOE, K2 crystal and any other plastic in that vain of yoyo work great. Pick one that looks cool and enjoy the throw.

2 Likes

YYF whips are cheap and work pretty well if you slap in an unresponsive bearing.

1 Like

I have a whip on the way bc of your recommendations!

1 Like

I haven’t personally played much in this category, but I’d definitely check out some of Magic YoYo’s offerings. Pretty much impossible to beat their bang for your buck from what I hear (K2 in particular). They often have kits with two yoyos, responsive & unresponsive bearings, a small case, a bearing tool, and/or extra strings for the same price as some low-end throws from other manufacturers.

If it doesn’t have to be dirt cheap, I’d strongly recommend the Shooting Star at $30. High quality yoyo for the money.

1 Like

i really think this yoyo or any yoyo with size A bearing like duncan freehand one is perfect, why? they starts out responsive and they become semi unresponsive, perfect for trying out bind, when you start you will want a yoyo that will reliably come back to your hand so you could throw them nicely, overtime you’ll eventually need to learn how to bind, and size A bearing yoyos have tight gap so you will learn bind easier, this is how i learned how to yoyo when i was on 6th grade

2 Likes

I’m going to second the AoE. Very good yoyo for the price and generally one of the better plastics on the market.

2 Likes

First base, aoe, offset accent, yj yoyo spinel are all great plastic starters. For metal I’d go recess firecracker or even better; the iyoyo passion. The passion was my favorite throw starting out. Comes responsive with extra bearing for unresponsive and at 53mm diameter it fits in your pocket well

1 Like