Dont know which yoyo to get

I’m new to yoyo’s and dont know which yoyo to get and was looking for suggestions, I was looking for a good but not to expensive yoyo, preferably with a way to change it from responsive to unresponsive. Any help is appreciated.

5 Likes

Welcome to the hobby and this forum. Can’t go wrong with a Recess First Base as your first yoyo. For $25 you get a quality plastic that comes responsive with an unresponsive bearing to swap in when you want to take the plunge.

5 Likes

I had someone give me their old Yoyojam Black magic. Awesome first yoyo. Don’t know what it retails for or if they still sell. Right now on yoyofactory.com they’re selling DV888 starter packs, and DV888’s by themselves for only $20. These used to be $80 when I started out in '09. I copped one last week and you should too!

Welcome! You are bound to get a dozen suggestions and all of them will be great. See which one you think looks best, pick a color you like and just get it! Everyone here has gone through the step you are at right now so you can trust the suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions, the recess first base seems great but I cant seem to find it online anywhere, could someone tell me a place to find one.

@LaserKat have you looked into this yoyo?

It has a dial that can switch from unresponsive to responsive. I think this would be a good stater that would fit your needs of versatility.

2 Likes

Velocity sucks for noobs, imho. Recess First Base is great, as is the Sage, YoYoFactory Protostar, YoYoFacyory Severe, SF PLSTC, Throw Revolution Neo, C3yoyodesign Speedaholic, Variant, there’s loads of great ones out there for a first throw. If you don’t want to invest much, CLYW has some Fools Gold Yetis for five bucks a piece. I’ve bought a few to give to kids starting out, and they have worked well for them. As for the DV888, I was told that should be my first, so like a fool, knowing nothing about unresponsive yoyos, I listened and bought one. There are so many better options available, the DV888 is a lot of hype, imho. The thing is, it’s all subjective. So one person may say yeah, the Sage is great for a first throw, as Nd another person says NO WAY, THE SAGE SUCKS. I’d recommend picking one or three you like the looks of, and ask if they’re any good for a first throw. Good luck, and don’t get frustrated or overwhelmed by our responses. I remember get frustrated that I could not get a straight forward answer when just starting out. Note I understand why, but back then I thought WTF, why won’t someone just say which ones are good for a first throw and which to avoid. You found this sight and you’re just starting out, so you have a great head start compared to many others just starting.

1 Like

I’d recommend the first base, as it ships with both types of bearings, but there isn’t really a correct answer.

I do see some people recommending the dv888 and the velocity, which I would not recommend personally, since they are generally considered outdated. I’d say Replay/Replay Pro is a better YYF option than either of those

2 Likes

In hindsight and having both DV888 and Velocity - I would say neither are great first yoyos. If I could coach myself 5 years ago I would tell myself to get a good plastic responsive and a good metal unresponsive. This way you have two different feels. Plastic and metal play very differently. And it’s nice to switch up the feeling in your hands between plastic and metal. No need to spend a great deal of money on either.

4 Likes

As others have mentioned…First Base. Great throw. Start out responsive and when your ready, throw in the other bearing it comes with for unresponsive. I still play mine frequently.

4 Likes

Yoyo Factory- Whip.
You can change the bearing to and unresponsive one later.
Read my review.

2 Likes