Plastic clyw

When I say “what kind of plastic” I really meant “what kind of yoyo”. My mistake for using ambiguous language. :wink: I meant, we don’t even know what style of yoyo it will be. Could be a $10 looper.

It’s really simple. The original poster was excited for a new throw from a brand he likes. He did not make any claims about it being great. He has no relationship with CLYW, and no reason to promote for them. It simply wasn’t hype. It was excitement.

Do you have a favorite band? If they announced that they’d be releasing an acoustic album for the first time, would you be excited? Would you want to talk to people about it? Of course. However, if you claimed that it was going to be the single greatest acoustic album of all time, that would be hype. If you worked for the record label and went on a bunch of talk shows talking about how amazing it’s going to be, that is hype. Just being thrilled for something is not.

There is only one reason to take the original poster to task. To shoot down the kid for being excited for something. To squelch his enthusiasm. And the ridiculous example of a 34g offstring was, in fact…hyperbole. Textbook example, in fact.

On a selfish level, I’m kinda irritated that CLYW is releasing a plastic, because I worry that it’ll diminish the value of my collection by removing some of the prestige (yeah, hype) around the brand. However, as an adult with a house, wife, and kid…I’m going to support Chris in whatever he feels is appropriate for his brand, as it is his full time job. Not a hobby, like it is for many of the other “boutique” manufacturers.

Take care,

-bpg

4 Likes

i don’t know about you guys but if its true i want this yoyo!

I do not market for CLYW, and only got into buying products of that brand recently, but I am excited that they are trying something different for the brand. I do not care specifically what it is at this stage.

From Twitter:

Caribou Chris ‏@clyw_canada 28 Jan

Oh ya FYI we’re making a plastic return top!!! Lol … Soooo stoked :slight_smile:
Retweeted by YoYoExpert

So it’s real. Hopefully it’s real good. But plastic doesn’t have that heft that I prefer… you know, to compensate for my lack of talent.

Clyw is dropping a plastic, it was on twitter

Also not sure if people realize that hype in the dictionary is excitement.

Also I have a feeling when clyw releases a plastic it will be taxed. Why wouldn’t it be? Chris knows people will pay it regardless, I’ve been losing my love for clyw because of the price, also because they release so much throws that it doesn’t make sense why he couldn’t lower the price. Like with the puffin already 2 runs? Kinda takes the fun out of it. That’s why I love general yo stuff cause its not dropping every month