Plane control help please

I used to think of “plane control” to mean keeping the yo-yo from tilting sideways with respect to the ground. When I do a trick that has a few back and forth string landings in it, the yo-yo stays upright ok (with effort sometimes of course), but that vertical plane seems to rotate left a bit with every step of the trick (i.e. counterclockwise if you’re looking down from above) so I end up facing 90 degrees or more to my left than when I started the throw. Any idea what causes that and how to work on keeping it from happening?

3 Likes

I’m no expert but I’m guessing it’s your throw. Something that helped me a lot in the last year is to play fixed axel. Fixed yoyos are unforgiving if your throw is off and will teach you to throw clean and straight.

5 Likes

This tends to happen to me towards the end of a trick, because the yoyo is running out of spin. Lots of stuff can increase spin time, but I usually default to a harder throw, especially if it is a longer combo.

3 Likes

I tried videoing to see and I think it’s me moving my hands to position the string gaps so I can land on the correct string.

That sounds more like precession, and happens when the string isn’t centered in the gap.

Is it just more practice, or is there something I can keep an eye on?

I think it’s just something you develop naturally over time. Practicing using a less forgiving yo-yo may help speed up the process. I use a Basecamp Sherpa unresponsive with a OD flat bearing to work on my form and precision. It’s not as unforgiving as a fixie, but it still requires you to slow down and focus a bit more to keep it from tilting.

2 Likes

I practice mostly with plastic, but it happens regardless of what I’m using. Been working on the same trick for well over a month, but I think I’m ready to at least try the next one.

2 Likes

I like having at least a couple of new tricks to work on at a time. That way I don’t get bogged down and can always come back to something later if it gives me too much trouble. Hell, I’m still trying to get Yuuki Slack probably a year after I first learned how to do it.

3 Likes

Well, I’m currently at Zipper so I’ve got a long way to go!

3 Likes