My yoyo constantly tilts off axis on side string tricks

Hi there, consider me essentially brand new.
I find when i throw my break away and land my trapeze and try and cycle between man and his brother and the trapeze to get used to landing the tricks. I find that very quickly my yoyo falls off axis and just ends up tilting over and the trick falls apart. I also find that i have to continuously move in order to keep the yoyo in plane. When i watch guides i find the players hands stay relatively still or only make minor adjustments. I guess my question is. Do yoyo players constantly adjust their yoyo to keep it from tilting or is my problem more fundamental and in say my throw? Could it be that my hands are too far from my body, how close should my hands be to my body?

3 Likes

So whenever your string hits the wall of the Yoyo it will cause it to tilt off plane. Do you know how to adjust your Yoyo when it starts to tilt and youre on the trapeze yet? In general, playing cleaner will lead to less tilting and most players know how to adjust the tilt if something does go wrong mid trick and throughout tricks.

Edit: also just keep your hands a comfortable distance from your body. Try to stand up straight also (this can be harder than it should be) but it looks better if you’re not hunched over.

5 Likes

This is part of the learning process. Better control of the landing will come with practice. Also to some degree this can be affected by the type of yo-yo being used. The more the string comes into contact with the inner wall of the yo-yo during the landing, the more it will get knocked off plane. So a yo-yo that presents greater opportunity for string to wall contact during landing is less forgiving of inconsistencies with your throw. But I have found that for me, practicing on the yo-yo that gives me the most trouble has given me the greatest leaps in accuracy and thus improved my throwing all around. It will continue to be an ongoing process. You’ll eventually land that Trapeze and Brother great a lot of the time but it’ll still give you occasional fits. Then you start to learn the next trick and the frustration begins anew. And so on, and so on, and so on…

2 Likes

I do know how to adjust by moving the strings so it tilts one way or another, i was wandering if this was what pros did but so quickly no one could see or are they just always on axis?

3 Likes

Im using a wedge by yoyo factory as it was recommended as a great starter yoyo. I didnt really have a budget i could have bought anything this is just what the guy i called recommended

2 Likes

It looks like a good place to start. Not one I have experience with but then I’m hardly an expert. What you’re experiencing is normal. Practice will make you better. I decided early on to practice with a more narrow yo-yo in order to force myself to be accurate. It has helped me a lot and I can often hit things easier on my narrow practice throw than anything else.

Mostly always on axis but you’ll learn how to adjust if something does go wrong without slowing down or stopping the trick. Just focus on playing clean for now like try not to let the string hit the walls on accident.

1 Like

This video should help

1 Like

Ive in the last hour tried keeping the yoyo closer too me so im not reaching so far which has helped a lot. I think i just need to practice more and be more consistent. I find that its hard to tell if my throw is good or bad, im worried im getting into bad habits or will they just correct themselves over time if i practice more consistently

2 Likes

Oh I’m absolutely positive I’ve developed bad habits but I won’t be presenting myself for public scrutiny so I’m good with it. But if you want to build a huge arsenal of tricks you’ll definitely want to make sure you scrutinize yourself to keep those bad habits low. I have seen on multiple occasions when someone was having trouble, they post a video of what they’re doing and someone immediately chimes in and says something about the way your hand or finger is positioned and then changing it made all the difference in the world. So don’t be afraid to ask questions. Maybe check out and comment in a thread like this one
https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/what-trick-are-you-working-on/57231/2299
I just recently got help on this thread to advance beyond Trapeze and Brother. There will be frustration but there will also be great satisfaction so don’t give up.

1 Like

So i watched this video before posting here but i coudlnt see how this would translate to a yoyo falling off axis when you’re doing breakaway tricks, its hard to see if the string touches the sides because it seems to be sitting so clean then suddenly it just tilts off. My main initial thought was my yoyo isnt perfectly parallel to my body when i throw it. But i for the life of me couldnt figure out how to know or test if this was true.

Something I also remember trying at first was standing on a floor with very visible lines and throw your breakaway/trapeze and focus on keeping the string in line with the lines on the floor. Because small changes can have big impacts on throws, this give you a measuring bar, if you will, to track the effects of the changes and home in on a more consistently straight initial throw.

Your throw will most likely straighten out more as you practice just try to be mindful when you get a nice straight throw and what happens when your throw starts already tilting off plane. Here is the best video available imo for teaching breakaways but mindful practice is really what will have you executing a straight and powerful throw.

2 Likes

that is completely different to how i was throwing! I never considered letting the yoyo go and whipping it around holy crap! I shall try this from now on!

4 Likes

Nice exactly! Just let go a bit before you sling it around and it doesn’t really matter that much how you hold it bc you’re going to let go before you throw it anyway. This takes away a lot of variance and leads to straighter and more powerful throws good luck!

My bad, wrong video. This one!

For me, I’d say that correcting tilt became mostly automatic at some point. As you get more experience you’ll be able to do minor corrections before thing get to far off plane and depending on the trick or combo you may be able to make micro corrections between elements.

I’d also make sure that you’ve got plenty of spin. That helps with the friction when correcting tilt.

4 Likes

I guess I’m closing in on a year since starting back up and I feel pretty good about where I’m at. I still have to correct quite often but it gets better and it happens kind of automatically. It doesn’t absorb all of my attention like it used to. But I still lose it sometimes as well. It was very frustrating when it seemed like that was all that ever happened but I got some fundamentals down that have gotten me to at least where I have variables to keep the yo-yo in motion. This makes it fun even when not having absolutely perfect landings. I mean…my landings are always perfect…then the string messes up and the yo-yo tilts…but for most people though…

1 Like

You’re actually lucky to be yoyoing in this generation. Years ago, only flat 10 ball bearings existed, meaning there was no centering technology in bearings or grooves. Yoyos were more liable to tilt than your modern yoyo. Anyway, it’s probably your breakaway technique or crooked hand placement. It will get better the longer you play. The most important tip I can give you is to “keep everything on plane.” If you are throwing sidestyle, keep the line of string as straight and centered as possible. Otherwise, crooked play will cause the string to rub against one side of the yoyo, causing instability issues.

4 Likes

Konkave bearings have been around much longer than 10 years

1 Like