Pay it forward silenus

Interesting that you compare the Silenus to the CLYW Chief. I think most would compare it to the CLYW Orca, me included.

3 Likes

I only have the Chief to refer to. I was going to compare it to a Shutter, because itā€™s a good ā€œstandardā€ yoyo, but I found too many common similarities to the Chief that I couldnā€™t resist.

For me, itā€™s tough when I read someoneā€™s thoughts on a yoyo and they say ā€œthis is floaty.ā€ yeaā€¦ well floaty compared to a Grail? or floaty compared to a C3 railgun? I want some sort of base to go off of when reading so that I can get that frame of reference to better understand how the yoyo plays. The Chief ended up being that for me in what I wrote. Itā€™s not that itā€™s more or less similar to a Chief or Orca, itā€™s just what I have in hand for reference.

1 Like

I see, no wonder. When the Silenus was first released some people called it the cheap knockoff version of the CLYW Orca, because it was almost identical. The Orca used to be a fan favourite (for some reason no one mentions the Orca anymore), so it makes sense that the Silenus is also very well received.

Yeah, I get that. A lot of these descriptors we use are always in relation to a nebulous standard, which no one can agree on. Thatā€™s why I usually describe yoyos in my reviews in relation to another yoyo, usually the Hummingbird or the Surveillance.

3 Likes

Ahh, I was kinda out of the scene when Silenus dropped. I just came back into the ā€œbuyingā€ scene this year even thought Iā€™ve been throwing for a while now. Orca is a bit out of my preference (Silenus and Chief too) so I donā€™t really have a lot of throws in this shape or style. Trying to diversify though.

Agreed! I think that having some sort of base ground is definitely necessary when describing a yoyo to someone.

2 Likes

Here are the rules so you donā€™t have to scroll up the thread:

Iā€™ll send the Silenus to the next person to post ā€œIā€™ll take itā€ here in this thread! (DMs donā€™t count, itā€™s gotta be posted in the thread to keep everything fair.) Contiguous 48 U.S. states only please.

HOWEVER, by accepting the yoyo, you are only allowed to keep it for about a month and then will be responsible for posting a post similar to this one, in this thread, and also for shipping the Silenus on to itā€™s next destination.

So letā€™s get the next stage of the Silenusā€™s travel rolling! An eternal curse on the player who breaks the chain

7 Likes

Iā€™ll take it!

10 Likes

Iā€™ve got it safe and sound.

8 Likes

So many types of string in here! I donā€™t want to be greedy, but I also want to try all of them! Iā€™ve literally been looking at several of these and considering buying, so I appreciate everyoneā€™s generosity.

8 Likes

Glad it made it there safe and sound. Felt the same way about the strings so I made sure to add in more than what I used.

Hope you enjoy!

3 Likes

I took it to the ā€œOverton Barkā€ dog park the other day. I was a little disappointed I couldnā€™t capture the difference in the finish between the cup and the sides. Itā€™s a really cool effect.

14 Likes

The solution to that dilemma would be to take one of each kind you want to try, and replace it with one or two from your own string collection that you like and think others should try!

Or if you havenā€™t amassed a collection of different string brands yet, I still think itā€™s OK to take one of each kind you want to try. Itā€™ll help balance out the extra contributions from fellows like Suspense and others. If the collection doesnā€™t get thinned occasionally then eventually it wonā€™t fit in the box!
So my opinion is, try every brand youā€™re interested in and donā€™t sweat the details!

Ivan

2 Likes

So, Iā€™m gonna send the Silenus on itā€™s way early, because I feel like iā€™ve had it long enough, and Iā€™ve got some other yo-yos on the way soon.

Here are the rules so you donā€™t have to scroll up the thread:

Iā€™ll send the Silenus to the next person to post ā€œIā€™ll take itā€ here in this thread! (DMs donā€™t count, itā€™s gotta be posted in the thread to keep everything fair.) Contiguous 48 U.S. states only please.

HOWEVER, by accepting the yoyo, you are only allowed to keep it for about a month and then will be responsible for posting a post similar to this one, in this thread, and also for shipping the Silenus on to itā€™s next destination.

So letā€™s get the next stage of the Silenusā€™s travel rolling!

4 Likes

What are your general thoughts about the Silenus? I think itā€™s outstandingā€¦very comfortable, stable, forgiving, and great binds even when things get wonky. How many of you ended up buying one after trying it for several weeks?

4 Likes

I havenā€™t played with a yo-yo shape like this before: a combination of V and O shapes, but itā€™s nice. Itā€™s got a lot of power and stability. The only yo-yo I have that is similar is the Horizon. I think itā€™s a little more stable than the Horizon, but I think that is explained by the extra width and the movement of center weight (used in the Horizon to make a nice finger spin area) to the extremities of the yo-yo. I generally try to keep my collection pretty small, otherwise I would definitely get one.

5 Likes

Whoā€™s gonna take it next?!

2 Likes

:raising_hand_man: Iā€™ll take it :grin:

Iā€™ve been watching this thread for a while. I love the whole idea though.

I havenā€™t had time to go through the entire thread yet, but does anyone know how far itā€™s traveled so far??

8 Likes

Not sure how far, but definitely quite a long way. Iā€™m out of town until saturday, so Iā€™ll get it in the mail monday.

4 Likes

Honestly love my Silenus. Fantastic throw.

Plays well above what you pay for one. I think I saw one on the BST the other day for $25.

If youā€™re even remotely interested, I would get one. I will put it down for a few weeks, then pick it up awile later and just be blown away all over agin at how good it is.

5 Likes

Itā€™s in the mail, ETA Friday!

2 Likes

Huzzah! Really looking forward to it :grin:

2 Likes