Parents

Weird this post being necroed a decade later makes me wonder what OP thinks today vs when they posted.

Also as a middle aged man my mom thinks my yoyo hobby is still dumb. Some things never change but hey I got my own money and my own kids to yoyo with (when they aren’t calling my hobby dumb too)

5 Likes

A NECROED THREAD. I SHALL PARTICIPATE IN ITS RESURRECTION!

I’m 42, and my parents are amazed at the yo-yo videos I show them, and they love that I’ve found another fun thing to do with some of my kids.

7 Likes

I’m 53 and I could have a yo-yo made of gold and diamonds and do Quadruple or Nothings that leave magical flowing trails in the air behind them and neither of my parents would show any kind of interest at all. My brother though, he could pull a turd out of his pants and take a bite out of it and they would cheer him on. My wife and kids though have always been supportive of me. :grin:

6 Likes

Would be wild if he turned out to be the next Dazzling Dave.

2 Likes

My mom passed and dad lives in South Carolina but when my girlfriend was at my place for the first time she showed zero interest in the small table that had about 35 yoyos on it. I don’t hold that against her at all. If I ever see my dad again I’d probably show him a trick or two and he’d probably be impressed. I have not seen him since I started throwing in 2015.

2 Likes

So my parents and I went through a similar situation at that exact same age with me (I’m an undergraduate student now).

Something that really helped change the household’s opinion on yoyoing was when college applications came around, and I had a really usual hobby to talk about.

Colleges love to applicants that are committed to a community, and they get a never ending stream of people that are into chess, piano, debate club, tennis, etc. My yoyoing helped me stand out!

If you are able to land a sponsorship, that’s even better. You can talk about responsibility and leadership within your company.

Even if you don’t get sponsored, see if there’s anything charity related you can do. Maybe perform at nursing homes or local events. That’s college application GOLD.

I leaned heavily on my yoyoing in college applications, and it helped me get into both UCLA and UC Berkeley, despite, at the time, having comparatively lackluster other extracurriculars.

Edit: just realized this post is from 2012 and this guy is at least 27 now. Nevermind…

5 Likes

I’m 36 with two kids. I started yoyoing five or six months ago and my mom thinks I’m the best yoyoer in the world…she keeps telling me to start a YouTube channel so I can make money.

Little does she know I’m trash but sweet of her nonetheless. :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

I have similar people in my life… I should show them some contest footage so they’ll leave me alone :smile:

3 Likes

Yay! Old threads. My parents don’t care. My mom calls me odd all the time but it’s because of EVERYTHING I do. They’re just happy I’m not on drugs and I don’t let any one thing rule over my life. Balance.

4 Likes

Necro all the way!!!

3 Likes

My parents were and still are super supportive of me yoyoing and I have always really appreciated that! My mom especially because she was worried about how much time I spent playing video games as a kid and when I got a yoyo I dove headfirst and played with it for hours on end without even thinking about games at all :sweat_smile:. I still play video games a bunch, but 14 years later and they’re still happy to see me throw or hear about a competition I’m thinking of doing.

5 Likes

Lol my parents would still tell me it’s whatever/dumb now at 26 the same as they did at 15

3 Likes

The best yoyoer she’s ever seen in person and that’s all that matters. Your mom is proud of you!!!

5 Likes

I swear someone posted before me but it got removed by admins. But yeah OP is a full on adult now

2 Likes

Yes, it was a spammer that was deleted.

4 Likes

My parents just tell me to stop buying too many yoyos.

1 Like

Yeah my parents are fine with it and like seeing the tricks I’m learning, just don’t want me spending all my money on yo-yos when I already have some.

3 Likes

I bring my dad yo-yos now hahahah. He has a little collection of Duncan’s

3 Likes

Thinking back on it, my parents were super supportive of my yoyoing when i was a kid. They drove me to yoyo club every week, took me to competitions hours away, paid for hotels, they would go out of their way on shopping trips so we could visit yoyo kiosks and the kite stores that sold yoyos. They bought me TONS of yoyos just for doing chores and making good grades.

My parents are awesome.

11 Likes

It’s actually a scammer with name goes by “Brian Bradley” based in India :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. The link they post actually a fake site and if you click to any of the service in there, you’ll get an extension and will be hacked

4 Likes