Parents

Yea!

I am lucky enough to have awesome parents as well and the older I get the more I appreciate/realize everything they have done for me.

They were supportive of all of my hobbies growing up, including yoyo’s.

My Dad drove me to a few yoyo competitions in Providence RI in the late 90’s. They actually had a "parents division’ that he competed in. Looking back, that was a really special father/son bonding moment :grin:

20+ years later…I have two little kids of my own. I have no Idea what kinda fun/crazy/silly hobbies they are going to get into. But, I look forward to supporting them with whatever they want to do in life!

9 Likes

Just manage your life and it won’t matter what people think. But you might as well care about money, or else you’ll probably be pretty bummed when you grow up if all you did was yo yo and never got a job. And if you really love throwing that much you should change your mindset from thinking of getting “sponsored” as someone handing you yo-yos or paying for videos, or a means to an end, to something a sort of lifestyle you could create for yourself by investing (time and money) into whatever it is you want to make of your throwing. Don’t expect someone else to anything for you in life, especially the glamorous stuff. If you really want to do something with throwing you’re just gonna have to get creative and market yourself and should probably look at it that way. “Start your own business”. Market yourself… Most “sponsored” players you see are still just out there making their own content. Just do everything you want a sponsor to do for you, for yourself, and maybe some kind of success will follow.
And in order to do any of that you have to be self sufficient, which in the end is all a parent wants their kid to do. Life comes at you fast. Lift some weights, eat some steaks, and realize the potential at hand.
If that makes any sense.

1 Like

Plus, yoyoing is just such a solid hobby, tell them they probably spend as much time on their phones as you do throwing…

2 Likes

Hahahaha I just did the same thing

Hi there,
I´m 48 and have two Kids one of them is also into yoyoing. I Think playing yoyo is very good for coordination and concentration.
But it is a hobby at least. I think even the pro players could not pay their bills by only winning contest, they have to run a business to get the money.

““just work at the yoyo company doing a nice job””
This will not work. Yoyo industrie don´t need workers who spend most of their paid time with playing yoyo. They will need skilled machinist, physics, business analyst etc.
So if you want to work in the yoyo industrie you should manage school first!

2 Likes