Palpitation? $249???!

Hey guys, i’ve recently been browsing yoyos on various sites, and one thing that sticks out to me is this: how is TurningPoint deciding on a price point for their yoyos? I mean, $249 for a Palpitation??! I recently received a Messiah from yoyorecreation, and it is a beast. If i had not found it at the price i did, and someone let me try one, I would definitely purchase it for the $150. It is high quality 7075 aluminum, it is extremely well made, and it is definitely competition ready. But even with the Messiah- how much could it possibly cost them to make it? And how can Turning Point sell the Palpitation for $100 more?! Takeshi Matsuura is a master at his craft, but I just don’t foresee myself spending that kind of money on this yoyo. Is it made of gold?? I’m sure rarity plays a part, but come on. Sell me on this guys- why would i fork out this kind of money for this particular throw?

1 Like

bi-metals cost a lot to make in Japan.

Take your non-bimetal Messiah (already 150$), and make it a bi-metal. It’d probably cost somewhere aroud 200.

Hmm, interesting. And what two metals make up this yoyo? Two types of aluminum? I learn something new everyday :smiley:

Isn’t it stainless steel rings and 7075 aluminum body?

The isotope 2 and palpitation are both made with 6061 aluminum with stainless steel rim weighs.

Yoyorecreation messiah and all other single metals are 150, turning point single metals (positron, leviathan) are 150.
Yoyorecreation bimetals (draupnir, laser ) cost 250, turning point bimetals cost 250. Using yoyorecreation as an example is not such a good idea.
If you want to play a TP with the quality of the Messiah and that cost 150, just search for the single metal ones, they cost the same as the Mssiah, I´m not sure what is your complain, you are comparing a japanese single metal with a bimetal, most bi-metal Japanese throws range from 200 to 250 (except the Sturmpanzers that range from +160).

It can’t cost more than $70-80 to make a solid aluminum yoyo.

Agreed, but this is not a welfare system, the fabric has to make money, the designer has to make money, the retailer has to make money they sponsor people, they pay for marketing. .
In the case of TP, they make few yoyos per model, if they make only 10 dollars per yoyo, theyll have to find another job to survive, specially in japan that life is expensive.

1 Like

Depends on the design, how complex the machining operations are (special tooling for undercuts, etc.), base material costs (different types/grades of aluminum cost different $$$ and have different machining requirements in terms of feed rates, depth of cut, longevity of cutting tools, etc). Combined with the cost of finishing (tumbling, blasting, anodizing, plating), final assembly, balancing and packaging, and don’t forget that the manufacturer needs to make a profit in order to pay the company’s bills and the workers need to earn an income so they can afford to eat and pay their own bills, costs can build up. Add the complexity of additional parts to be machined and assembled for bimetals and you can see why prices can get up there. Then, look at where the yoyo is being made. Every region of the world has their own level of cost of living, labor rates, inflation, value of the local currency, etc, and you can understand why yoyo pricing sometimes does not make too much sense to the average uninformed person. It’s not just about cutting aluminum on a lathe and throwing it in a box…

db

2 Likes

Every step of making a yoyo cost money every body has to get from the fabric makers to shipping every thing cost money man making a YOYO here in the states is much cheaper then making it outside of the U.S. japan throws coming to us has to take in account shopping and custom cost so that will add to the price of the YOYO as well

im not sure why you guys are talking about ‘fabric’ and why anyone would think its cheaper to make anything in the us. japan may be an exception with a few things, but i still kind of doubt it.