Organic throws to "Outdated"?

The original 888 or the fhz

Just chiming in.

I honestly donā€™t care about ā€œoutdatedā€ or not. What I care about is how a yoyo performs for me. My collection contains plenty of organic and ā€œengineeredā€ shapes, as well as ā€œclassicā€ and overly simplistic shapes. All that matters to me is that I enjoy the yoyo or that it fulfills some sort of purpose in my collection that contributes to helping me be a better player.

As preferences are always evolving, organic shapes will only vanish if companies decide to stop producing them. Most of these organic shapes are very comfortable, stable an solid performers. Just one of many examples, but the Albatross comes to mind as an organic shape, probably one of my favorites ever. Well, the Anglam is my #1, but Iā€™m thinking the Albatross is in my top 5.

Thereā€™s also more than one yoyo marketplace. Their is the competitive market, which letā€™s face it, many of the latest yoyos are being designed for those needs, but those needs tend to translate into the needs of many others, hence a good marketable product is released with safe sales results. There is the ā€œcasual throwerā€ market, which is more for everyone who is an enthusiast and really isnā€™t interested in competing, so itā€™s not using the ā€œhot competitive shapesā€, but are almost always competitive grade yoyos at the same time. Lastly, there is the beginner market, and even in this category are some killer plastics that with some easy to do user modifications(that often require no tools or real skills to do) move from the beginner market to serious competition.

As long as I enjoy a yoyo, thatā€™s all that matters. I donā€™t care about age or it being dated. I buy stuff all over the place. I buy what I like, I enjoy what I want. Then I take my collection and share it with my local community, and it will be available at BAC in its entirety!

The Capless is organic.

I dunno but when I throw yo-yos that have high walls ie organic throws I feel as if I have extra control over it, that control costs spin time but I still prefer it to extreme shapes where it is impossible to rub the string against the side. However horizontal is hardā€¦ just my jumbled thoughts.

Half my collection is organic lol
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/625500_359590814147406_1787382858_n.jpg

I dunno, mang. Itā€™s a V with some organic curves to it. Donā€™t get me wrong, I love it, and itā€™s ā€œorganicā€ but itā€™s not an ā€œorganic shapedā€ yoyo. :wink:

The longer this thread goes on, the more Iā€™m growing to dislike the ambiguity of that term. :smiley:

Itā€™s almost am ambiguous as the term ā€˜floatyā€™ XD

Yuki

1 Like

I got a Katz Meow in the mail today, and it really made me appreciate organic yoyos. It makes me do everything much more precise.

I meant to put Mayhem

Guys, the Chief is organicā€¦

Really? It has those steps on the catch zone.

Itā€™s all curves.

I have been ā€˜moddingā€™ yoyos for over 15 years now. I have cut up literally hundreds of yoyos. I have had countless conversations with dozens of players and a number of notable yoyo Makers and other designers and modders. I would consider myself to be pretty well versed in yoyo form and function. < I only make these statements to give perspective to my following view.

I have ā€˜Neverā€™ until this very moment(like in now) used the term ā€˜Organicā€™ to identify a yoyo shape.

What exact yoyos fall into that description, vary from person to person, making the word fairly useless.

Just like the ā€˜H shaped Crowdā€™. Seems any yoyo that has break/deviation/transition in the down slope of a yoyo wall is an ā€˜H shapeā€™.

Consider this, Butterfly shape. A Classic Butterfly shape/Duncan Butterfly, right? But if you really look at still shots of Butterflies(the insect) you would see more of an Anglam shape. Or a SPYY Pro, right?
ā€¦ But wait. Those are ā€˜Vā€™ shapes arenā€™t they?

And how about one of the most underrated yoyos in modern times, the Deadly Spins Wrath. Amazing yoyo few talk about. Of course it is also a ā€˜Vā€™ shape, right? But, uh, it has that stepped wall-ish thing going on. So is it a modified V shape or a semi sorta H shape junior?

I know we all have to use various words to divide yoyo shapes into ā€˜groupsā€™. And words like: conventional, butterfly, V shape, H shape are obvious categories that come to mind.

As I have yoyo related conversations going into the next 15 years, I have no doubt I can/could go the entire time without using a loose, misleading almost meaningless word like ā€˜Organā€¦ā€™

By the way, I just typed this out on my Ipad which has a cover produced from Organic materials. Next to me on an Organic table, I have an Organically produced Braeburn apple. I usually eat an Organic apple after a handful of Organic corn chips.

I honestly think the Term has very little application in yoyo related terminology. The word has been Over used to the point of being useless.

As much as it goes against my nature, I have to actually agree with Studiosā€™ view. I think his response pretty much nailed it down.

Oops, gotta go. The Ice Cream man is out front. He sells 14 different flavored Organic juice bars. Woo,hoo

1 Like

Hereā€™s my 2 cents.

Organic Shapes will never be as popular as before. I think modern shapes have attracted so many players. For example, Model10, Summit, Chief, Etc. I, for one, love throwing organics every now and then. Its like breath of fresh air compared to all the complex and modern designs. Back to the basics :slight_smile:

I always thought of organic as straight downward curve with no steps. Think liopleurodon. The cascade is an hot are like bell shape yoyos. Those in my opinion donā€™t count.

I agree with these being bell shape and Iā€™m adding the PSG to that list of bell shape

I thought I said this on like page 2ā€¦ but I guess I was only talking about the Majestyā€¦

Hereā€™s one of my rules for determining if itā€™s organic

If it has a low wall, itā€™s not organic.

Actually, its an Hourglass shape.

Iā€™m surprised, Duncan is all over this ā€œbutterflyā€ shape. Duh the Butterfly by them-
Raptor??
Mayhem?
Most screaming eagle line yoyos.

I mean almost all Duncanā€™s are organic except a few and the Metropolis.

A lot of duncans are the traditional butterfly shape.
metro, freebird, pro z, vendetta, barracuda, diversion, dragonfly, echo, and flipside are all other shapes. Most of their ā€œorganicā€ throws are older. A lot of their recent stuff is going away from that shape, like most companies.