Orbital Decay (Orbital Decay)

Hey y’all, here’s a fun rejection-to-whip trick called “Orbital Decay”. I hope you enjoy this one.

10 Likes

WAY easier than trying to break it down from the Reddit video I saw this on the other day :joy: thanks Doc !!! Amazing new element to add to the …

I’ve spent WAY too long trying to figure out how to spell “repertoire” :man_facepalming:t5: :joy:

1 Like

Do you have any tips for the rejection? I’ve landed this a couple times now but it feels really hard because of how inconsistent the rejection is. I’ve tried angling my NTH up slightly so the string I want to reject is already making contact with the wall. I’ve also tried having more or less tension on the string I’m rejecting, and also pushing the string back at different angles. I can’t tell what actually makes the rejection easier and what’s just a placebo.

Your rejections have the string rocket out of the gap in one smooth motion, but most of my rejections look more like the string struggling to flop out of the gap. Sometimes it works just right though and I’m not sure what I did differently on those attempts, since I’ll try the same thing again immediately and it won’t work the second time.

2 Likes

I’d love to hear other people’s tips on the rejections, because I’m not quite sure how I got it so consistent. There’s probably some trick I’m doing without realizing it. A few suggestions:

• Try doing it with different strings and different yo-yos. When I first created this trick, I’m pretty sure I was rocking a copper plated yo-yo that had very “sticky” high walls.
  • Timing the rejection with the hop could be the important factor here. If the hop is just beginning, and the yo-yo is just starting it’s upward motion, the string will hopefully kick right out and around.
1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t really think about the finish on the yoyo, I just knew I wanted something higher walled and more organic. At first I was using a polished yoyo, but after I swapped to a blasted yoyo suddenly my rejections got a lot stronger.

Also to make the rejection a lot more consistent it seems like you actually need to do the hop before you reject, otherwise the string gets stuck in the gap. I guess this just goes back to how much you emphasized timing in the video. Even when you’re just rejecting without doing the full hop to get the whip, you’re still doing a little micro hop before you pull back the string.

Yeah, I can see that in retrospect, but when I was filming I legit thought “this is how it looks without a hop”. It’s so instinctive, I couldn’t even realize I was still doing it.