OPYOYOS Spright Review

Reposted from this thread as suggested by @Xanadu:

Mailday! I got the Opyoyos Spright!

Move aside YoYoFriends Hummingbird, a new yoyo has come to take your number 1 spot on my favourite yoyos list. The Spright is an easy favourite for me, it has an insane amount of stability and spin time for its weight, much more than the YoYoBrothers Voyage. The fact that the Spright is lighter than the Voyage just makes it even more impressive. My super light yoyos like the Rain City Skills Author and the G2 GBP just cannot compare in terms of spin time and stability to the Spright, the Spright easily beats them without lifting a finger. I played with it for 10 minutes after taking it out of the package and I knew it was going to be my favourite yoyo, it just clicked with me. The way it feels on the string is fascinating, it doesn’t have a super light feeling like most light yoyos do, which I guess it’s kinda why it has been popular with quite a number of people (usually light yoyos are a niche thing). It just has that perfect balance of power, light weight and agility that the Hummingbird had for me, but lighter, so it’s my favourite because I love lighter yoyos. Its power and stability is unrivalled by any yoyo in its weight class and its light weight just makes it move very quickly, but in a controllable way. A lot of light yoyos tend to start becoming extremely responsive to your hand movements as they get lighter and just a tiny movement would cause the yoyo to change its direction, giving rise to the feeling of the yoyo moving faster than you want it to move. The YYF 44 has this effect for me, but for others, some light yoyos that are heavier than the 44, like the Author, are already too fast for them to handle. The Spright however, doesn’t feel like this, which is very surprising. I’m guessing it’s due to the large amount of rim weight on the rims of the Spright giving it a more hefty, powerful feel instead of it being extremely zippy and hard to control. The rainbow rims on the Spright are magnificent, one of the more beautiful rainbow rims I’ve seen on a yoyo. I find it to look better than my rainbow rims on my Hummingbird, but SF still has the best rainbow rims ever with their Wainbow Bliss. The grind finish is very nicely done, a pretty good blasted finish that grinds very well, but definitely worse than the Mowl Surveillance. The rims are not as big on the outer side as the Hummingbird and the Spright is wider at 46mm, so it actually grinds better than my Hummingbird, even though the Hummingbird has a heavier blast. I’m surprised that the width of the yoyo didn’t bother me as much as it should have, as my favourite yoyo tend to have widths of below 45mm and I’m normally quite bothered by full-sized yoyos that are wider than that because my hands don’t fit nicely. But the Spright just feels natural in my hands and it just moulds to the shape of my fingers, so its wider width doesn’t really bother me too much. At a diameter to width ratio of 1.195, it is really pushing my acceptable range of diameter to width ratios, above 1.2, but I guess the Spright is close enough. It’s a yoyo that I didn’t really expect to like so much due to its wide width but it seems like the Spright has exceeded my expectations in its fabulous design. Horizontals on the Spright is just such a breeze, it flows so easily into my trapezes due to its light weight and agility and can keep up with those extremely tiny trapezes while still remaining very controllable.

Overall, I recommend this yoyo to everyone, even those who would rather have hefty playing yoyos. This is not one of those typical light yoyos that are uncontrollable and feel way too fast and light (the most common problem I see people have with light yoyos). You can definitely feel its presence on the string with the amount of rim weight it has. It’s a great follow up yoyo to the Float by Smashing Yoyos company, and hence it is definitely a yoyo that you can absolutely use for competition despite its light weight (and it’s somehow lighter than the float as well :exploding_head:).

@chaosgow has done a fantastic job with this yoyo, I’ll be playing this as my EDC extremely often.

12 Likes

Got me a spright as well! Love it. After a bit you almost dont notice its super light since it plays so well!

3 Likes

Absolutely agree, it’s so amazing! It makes light yoyos more palatable for the majority of people which is awesome!

3 Likes

I think that’s why I ended up posting mine on the bst :joy: still wondering if I should actually sell it though. my all time favorite yoyo is the smashing crucible (50 g), so I don’t think I’d say I have the normal preference in weight for yoyos. The spright performs the best of all the full-size sub 60g bi metals I’ve owned (I think only three exist? Voyage, GBP, spright?) but I prefer the play feel of the other two, probably because they both play “lighter” I guess?

2 Likes

Ah I see, that’s really interesting. I also like really like very light yoyos, the feeling of pushing them to extreme speeds and seeing them zoom past at light speed is exhilarating. But for my favourite yoyo, I find that I want something with more stability and power to handle the tricks that I’m trying to learn without getting frustrated with the yoyo’s lack of stability or it being too uncontrollable, which is why the Hummingbird has ended up as my favourite for a while, even though I owned the Voyage before I got the Hummingbird.

I agree, it’s definitely the best performing. But as a “light” yoyo, it subverts your expectation on how you’d think it’ll play. Ohh I see, the other two really do play lighter, probably due to their much smaller rims and hence they have much less rim weight than the Spright, making them feel lighter (lots of rim weight tends to make yoyos feel heavier).

2 Likes

Sturm panzer has some sub 60g bimetals as well

1 Like

Oh yeah, Forgot about the Leo sniper 2. Avoided that brand since their branding reminds me of the knock of toys I got at the dollar store in the 90’s :joy: I bet they play great though.

1 Like

two questions:

What string is that

Where’d u get the yoyo

3 Likes

They come with airetics. The brand is no more as far as I know. This was my first time trying these and they are great. Sad I cant get more though😢

4 Likes

Great review, I too thoroughly enjoy the Spright!

But…there is a serious issue with this yoyo…

Every other yoyo I have feels waaaay too heavy after throwing Spright for a bit :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

Yesssss, it’s a common occurrence with all light yoyos. Every regular yoyo you play after playing with one will feel like a brick hahaha. And then you’ll be finding new light yoyos to play with because you just can’t deal with your normal yoyos anymore, it’s a perpetuating cycle that keeps me buying light yoyos whenever I see one hahahaha.

2 Likes

@Upmanyu is right! These come with Airetics, which are probably the best nylon strings based on how much people rave about them on here. It’s sad that they went on hiatus due to their equipment breaking down and some other life stuff. If you want to get one to try, you could get an Mk1yoyos Exia as they come with Airetics as well.

The yoyo is unfortunately sold out. I bought the last 2 hahaha. Maybe you can contact OPYOYOs on Instagram or message @chaosgow on here to see if he has any extras or B-grades to sell you.

3 Likes

oh wow what a review! Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t have any Sprights left, but this is what’s coming next.

10 Likes