Optimal String Length

I am relatively new to modern yoing. I am working on intermediate 1A play, and my learning curve seems to have accelerated since I have nailed the reverse split mount. I have a question about string length.
I am short at 5โ€™ 6" and I was wondering, should shorten the length of a stock string? I have cut a few inches off of new string several times but I do not like the feel of the shortened string length. Is this just a matter of getting accustomed to a shortened string? Would a shorter string facilitate my play? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. ???

Shorter string will help with faster play. I see no need to shorten it till you think you need to go faster. I like mine a little long too. Helps with more room to learn your tricks.

1 Like

Originally I liked my strings very long, but they seem to get shorter by the day now.

Just go with what feels right. Experiment and see what fits your preference.

1 Like

Yup, experimentation is key. Many people cut it off so that the knot is at their belly button, but it varies from there. I feel that I play much smoother with little bit longer ones, but I can indeed go faster with a shorter string.

1 Like

i like it to be at my belly button when i have my shoes off (i take 1 shoe off when im measuring it) it just seems like the right length for me

I had a hard time with string lengths, too. Experiment with the string. Try cutting off half an inch at a time until you find your miracle length.

i like mine long and im short at 5โ€™3 it just gives me more romm to do tricks

Try this?:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yoyo+string+length&search_type=&aq=f

Thank you all for the great feedback. I cut the string on my yoyos to the belly button and it seems to be working well for me. I have been practicing quite a bit since the last time I shortened a string and the difference was quite noticeable. Now it actually feels like I have more control with the shortened string.