Optical / holographic stickers on yo-yos

One thing I see some loopers doing, and some 4A players, is putting holographic / optical stickers on their yo-yos so they catch the light better, like so:

And then some designs are fundamentally “optical” without being holographic or shiny, as you can see

And then speaking of the above image… my man … MY MAIN MAN … the yo-yo master who performed with Cirque … BLACK :black_circle: … also uses holographic stickers on his yo-yos! Check it:

image image

You may remember that Pro-Yo II had holographic pogs which started me thinking about this:

I guess in an era of predominantly metal yo-yos, when we’ve given up “put your own circular stuff in here to decorate your yo-yo!” pog designs, it’s not cool to put shiny stickers on your yo-yos any more?

9 Likes

Daaaaaad, you’re embarrassing me

13 Likes

I’ve always been surprised I don’t see more yo-yos with optically interesting patterns, like these:
https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/illusions/colorwheel.html

Maybe they’re out there and I just don’t see them.

(The linked page is old enough to give download times on a 28.8K modem.)

2 Likes

These 720s came out recently:

Loop720-Clear-Sparkle_1024x1024

https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/products/loop-720-japan-edition-yoyofactory-yoyo?variant=15846169083978

7 Likes

Also this from Ye Olde Dale Oliver

5 Likes

If memory serves, I got this from an ad in the Yo-Yo Times in the late 80s. From an Italian company? I can’t remember the details.hol3

5 Likes

I put some holographic stickers on the pogs in that Turbo Bumble Bee as an experiment.

5 Likes

I’ve tried to shrink wrap with holographic plastic. It didn’t go well but I plan to try it again because I think it could work with more practice and the right plastic.

3 Likes

Well well look what I found in my photos today

7 Likes

World Champion Dale Oliver’s signature Spintastics Tiger Shark with halographic caps
20190207_112759
20190207_112823

4 Likes

When I bought a lot with this Capurro Faktor by YoyoJam, it had the holographic caps you see on either side in it. Anybody know anything about them? I found some info about the person they’re commemorating, but not much beyond that.20190208_071035

4 Likes

Another one

3 Likes

That color wheel page is quite cool, here’s a quick animated GIF I made so people can get a taste of it:

color-wheel-example

Spinning stuff can look nifty!

2 Likes

I know, I am maybe the only person who cares about this stuff. But I like it… so sue me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

But what does that look like at > 6000 rpm? Most patterns just become solid concentric bands of colors at play speeds, often times unattractive (blends of) colors.

1 Like

I think this is the reasoning behind Gentry’s polished shutters (a.k.a bi-metal styling). Even with the OG shutter, he would sometimes perform with one that had polished edges inside the cup. I’ve heard him state he came up with it so that it pops more under the stage lights.
I know people poke fun at the new WA polished yoyo (I don’t have one) because it is a ‘fake-bimetal’ but honestly, it accomplishes a similar goal to these metallic stickers.

4 Likes

Well maybe … why not just go full alu polished if stage pop is needed?

But… Grinds…?

according to evan nagao, blasted yoyos slide on the string better (in edge beyond vid)
the polished area on the WA doesn’t come in contact with the string, yet is still flashy
the WA is genius

2 Likes