Opinions on the CLYW Canvas?

:smiley:

[quote=“Studio42,post:11,topic:44958”]

I don’t agree with this statement, I personally preferred the Canvas to the Peak.

I keep coming back to the Canvas because it is easy on the hand, easy on the eye, and is very satisfying to throw.

However, as anyone can see by the feedback here, if you come to it expecting a high performance yoyo then you will be disappointed. It is not that type of throw. Also, it shares the dimensions of the Peak but lacks the rim-weighting. Given that, I reach for it way more than my Peak.

1 Like

Yep.

I agree with almost everything said in this thread. The obvious con of this yoyo is the price. $140+shipping from Canada for the least expensive colorway is very steep. Once you get this yoyo you might not like it at all, but once you play it over the course of a few months you start to like it more and more. It just grows on you. And like people have said, you reach for the Canvas when you just want to mess around with some tricks or have fun. I personally think it is a great organic shaped throw, which we see less and less of these days, making it unique. And it is so, so smooth. Pop in a OD tenball bearing and you might not even notice it’s spinning. Here’s my review I did a while ago when I first got one:

I know a HATED my wooly, but that was my 2nd yoyo…

I love mine. That is all.

Just finished a nice session with my Canvas. It showcased its excellent grinds, good sleep time, and ultimate smoothness. I have to say that it is truly one of my favorite yoyos.

i had one … it didn’t fit in with my other clyws they were all bullying it around. So I didn’t use it that much … and to save its life … I traded it away.

I would tend to agree with this statement. Even on my first throw of a Canvas I noticed how old school it felt on the string.

It straight up forces you to play good. Too many yoyos give you too much leeway in terms of landing tricks. The Canvas penalizes for sloppy throws and performances. Its a perfrect throw in that sense. I love my Pinkerton Canvas <3. And the center weight makes regens effortless. And Ive seen Jensen do horizontals with it O.o, crazy stuff…

Cheers,

I imagine the Canvas to play similarly to the General Yo Essence or the Rec Rev TA-1.

Rec Rev SHARP would be a more accurate guess.

I really like the canvas, if you want the worst clyw, get the newest run wooly marmot.

It’s a fantastic big, dumb yoyo. Love mine.

1 Like

Agreed.

I’m glad you like it!

I want a canvas so bad. Wanting to trade my YYR clash for one, if your interested, and have a non fg, mint, rare canvas, hmu

I’ve been playing my Canvas for the last couple weeks. It’s a great yoyo. I understand that sometimes, yoyos don’t live up to the hype. I was, and admittedly still am, a little disappointed with the Arctic Circle. I like it, I can pull all my tricks on it, and it looks great, but in my eyes, it’s not the yoyo that people should be trading their collections in pursuit of. That’s probably the Chief or the Gnarwhal, if we’re talking about CLYWs. It doesn’t have the CLYW charm that the CLYWs that came before it have.

I think modern yoyo design is in a startlingly good place. Most yoyos these days are pure performance machines. More so than anybody probably really needs, actually. But, it’s sometimes fun to play with a yoyo that won’t sleep for 10 minutes on a crap throw.

The Canvas is like a tip of the hat to a stage in yoyo design that has basically been abandoned. I wouldn’t say it’s the real metal Zero. That’s the YWET (seriously, compare it with a Zero and you’ll see). But, it’s in the same vein. It’s got a good feel. It feels like it could have been one of the early CLYW designs, and I can handle that. In other words, it has that CLYW charm. It’s the oddity of the current CLYW line and I think it’s great.

A player who learns on a Canvas will have a leg up in the long run, if they stick with it. Or, that’s how I see it anyway.

It took me literally a year to put a 10 ball in mine. I had stock, I really liked Crucial Grooved, I got an extra 10 ball randomly in an order and I decided to throw it in there over a year after I received my first run little scrappy fetus. I was so angry at myself for not putting it in there earlier…I couldn’t agree with you more.

I received my first Canvas on October 13, 2011. I only say this because I don’t remember any other date I ever received a yoyo. I was in the process of moving and had it shipped to my parents’ address to make sure I’d get it, and on 10/13/11 mom called and said it was in her car. No idea why I remember that, but I guess it just means I love that throw.