What is the clyw compass like?

I’ve been playing a lot of v shaped yoyos recently and I liked the look of the compass.

Can anyone give me their opinions on it? Maybe a side by side comparison with, say a chief?

Thanks

1 Like

I was up North when I read your post.

I was trying to discover whether the yo-yo scene was stronger in the West or the East?

I had a pretty good idea… but then my mind went South.

I need to find my Compass so I can head you in the right direction.

9 Likes

Sounds like a must have item!

It’s… honestly boring. Not recommended.

2 Likes

Why is that yoyo boring?

There’s nothing interesting about it, in terms of the way it plays and looks. It’s quite generic.

2 Likes

Compare to what?

I was quite intrigued by it, looking at the profile images, it doesn’t look far off a chief.

Compared to the other 800+ yo-yos I own?

2 Likes

I hope you didn’t buy one then.

1 Like

So it doesn’t play well? I have a Borialis 2, is it anything like it?

I did buy one, hence the comparison… I’m sorry if this offends you for some reason?

It’s my opinion. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. If you prefer a different opinion that’s completely your right as a human being! :wink:

1 Like

If you want m0ar V, I would get a stronger V like the Marco or something. Not this one!

1 Like

I don’t think I’m necessarily looking for m0ar V, I was just curious about the compass because it looks similar to the chief and scout, two yoyos I rate very highly.

I don’t often see them on the bst so I figured people don’t sell them because they like them.

It’s nowhere near these two IMO. The mini-chief (pickaxe?) is great tho!

The only new CLYW I have liked in recent memory is the Akita, but that’s just me. I find many, many CLYW releases to be underwhelming relative to their classics.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise that you had 800 yoyo’s now. Fair play then.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts!

I must admit, I didn’t really get on with the pickaxe, despite being a micro chief. Not to say it’s bad, I just felt they could have tweaked it a little by giving it more weight.

1 Like

That’s the thing, isn’t it? It’s all so very subjective. I like the Compass, I have two. They play comparable to the Kayak, but not as quick or floaty. I have a Chief as well, and they play somewhat similar, but the Chief just plays better, so really no comparison because it plays THAT much better, imho. I find the Compass to be an all around good throw. I prefer it over the Kayak most of the time, mainly due to finger spins being easier for me to control on the Compass. Although the body shape is a bit different, it plays similar to the Dune as well. Actually, when I started throwing unresponsive about 2.5 years ago, I couldn’t understand aLL the hype about CLYW. Then I bought some older ones on the BsT, including a Chief, and I understood the love for CLYW. It seems to me that too many of their recent throws play a lot alike, but that’s just my opinion. And really, that’s the thing, isn’t it? It’s all just opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. As far as the Marco goes, I just can’t get into it. I thought I would love it, but I don’t. I guess I have other throws that have a similar shape of feel in play, and I prefer the by far over the Marco. Opinions, whatcha gonna do. I say if you are intrigued by the Compass, try it. I doubt you’ll walk away thinking what a piece of $#!&!, but you might be like Mr. Horror and think meh, I should have bought a Marco, or something else. I say go for itbut if you are looking for something close to the Chief, try the Scout. It’s very similar to the Chief, but doesn’t play as well. If you are looking for a Chief, check out the BST here or FB. I picked one up for about $50. Guy hadn’t thrown in years, decided to sell his throws. It was worth every penny, and much, much more.

Interesting you mention the added weight. I put o-rings on mine for that very reason! I have one with o-rings, one without. I almost ALWAYS go for the one with the extra weight because it just plays and feels better.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input!

I think I will try and pick one up on the bst if I see one, like you said, I doubt that I think it’ll be terrible. The chief is a great throw and I suppose a lot of yoyos compared to it would be inferior.

Good shout with the weight rings on the pickaxe! I think an o-ring would fit nicely in the outer rim, I’ll have to try it.

1 Like