OneDrop and their Issues

Since the Made in USA thread at this point has basically just gone in circles over and over, eventually cycling back to OneDrop, I figured I’d make a thread because it seems like there’s at least a sizeable side of the community that has some issue with OneDrop and to have a conversation that we’re having anyways-- just in a spot where it can be relevant to a topic that’s actually been made for this purpose.

I’m not making this thread to cause drama, but I think it’s time someone at least focused on the issue in one thread that brings attention to an issue we see as an issue. Where we can list out the problems we have and really honestly address them. THIS IS NOT A HIT PIECE. THIS IS NOT A DRAMA PIECE. OneDrop is NOT problematic, rude, outrageous, or in any way harmful. It just sucks that I as a consumer cannot consider them as an option anymore.

I grew up loving OneDrop. As a kid, I used to check yoyoexpert’s site, (other competitor)‘s site, and individual companies’ sites like OneDrop just to see if anything new that I’d like was coming. I used to love OneDrop designs and would never pass them up on the thought “Oh they’re OneDrop, they just don’t make things I like” so understand I’m not some OneDrop hater. Some of OneDrop’s designs are some of my favorite yoyos. I love the Rally, Rebirth, Kuntosh, Rev1, Sugar Glider, and Gradient.

So then, what’s the issue?

Well, there are several. Please be sure to thoroughly read through these. For reference: these are the most common issues I see get brought up about OneDrop across several areas of community discussion as well as my own.

1. Oversaturation/Fatigue of the same yoyo
    Everywhere OD Discourse goes, people are tired of the constant re-releases of the same yoyos. Fat Tires, Deep States, Deeper States, etc. have all seen far more attention for re-releases than most other OD Yoyos. While these yoyos are quirky and have appeal, the fact of the matter is that the market as a whole does not need the saturation of yoyos like these that we have gotten. Several brands release quirky, silly, and or different yoyos at least once a year, most often at least a couple times a year. I.e. CLYW with the Minitee, Sasquatch, and Ditch; JT Toddler LinkX, and the very recent Atmos release the Cephas. OneDrop could very easily be running more standard yoyos just as much as these but they just choose not to. Which leads me to my next point.

2. Oversaturation/Fatigue of Quirkiness
    OneDrop is overemphasizing designs that have some sort of design quirk or gimmick. Of the past 5 releases (Still Rollin’, The Wizard, Fat Tire 2020, Reboot, Wyvern) only one of them has some sort of “standard” design silhouette; that being the Wyvern. Now you can point out that these are only five yoyos, but these are five yoyos released over the span of about 9 months. If we go to the last 10 yoyos, that being yoyos released since October of 2021 (list before + Kamuraiju, Thorn, T1 2020, Diorama, Aitch) that only increases the “standard design group” by 1, with the addition of the Thorn. To a margin of 10 total yoyos released over the course of just under two years. Quirky releases are fun, they’re there to break the monotony. But, OneDrop has gotten to the point where standard releases are a minority over the course of YEARS of releases. This is made even worse by the fact that these “standard releases” are almost never truly performant yoyos. This leads me to the 3rd point.

3. A Performant Yoyo
    Taking releases since the beginning of 2020, OneDrop has released 21 different yoyos. Of these 21 yoyos, I’d consider maybe 3-4 of them to be “performant” in 2023 (and to be frank, this is being generous). Simply put: OneDrop just isn’t making adequately performant yoyos. This is despite having a long-standing reputation as being a company that makes performant yoyos. OneDrop hasn’t always been the company they are today. Yoyos like the Valor, Rally, Code 2, and Format: C still stand as modern examples of “performant” yoyos, despite being made, in some cases, 10 years ago. This is part of the issue. If you want a performant yoyo from OneDrop, you have to hunt one down. Most of the time it’s a yoyo either a decade old or nearly a decade old. Never mind yoyos that were considered performant for the time, but eventually just got outdated like the Summit, Benchmark Series, and Gradient. OneDrop’s current image as an oddly collector-oriented quirky-yoyo brand is a new thing. They’re not some small brand that’s specialized in being odd exclusively. They’re a large, established brand that had a very large selection of normal to quirky options (at least several years ago). Other brands of OneDrops size can say they’ve almost always had a fresh, new, performant option to offer. Which leads me to my next point.

4. A Performant Yoyo for 2023
    I’m gonna narrow the scope from before even more. Maybe this sounds unfair, maybe it seems like I only want one kind of yoyo from OneDrop, but that’s not so. The category of a “performant yoyo for 2023” is a very broad category that is easily achievable with the amount of knowledge and expertise OneDrop has. Yoyos like the MK1 Diffraction, SF Movement, UNPRLD Recog, and JT Jugemu leave stuff like the Wyvern and T1 2020 in the dust in regards to performance in 2023. There is absolutely 0 reason to purchase a yoyo if you’re looking for objective performance from OneDrop in 2023 because they have nothing that could compete in this category. I can’t argue that I want one kind of yoyo from OneDrop because they just haven’t released a single yoyo of this kind. OneDrop has the means to make something wide and rim weighted, they have the means to make it a banger, and they’ve had the means now for years. They simply refuse because they know there’s a base that will always buy their yoyos, regardless of performance. This is despite the fact that a performant yoyo in 2023 wouldn’t even strictly be for “competitive” use. It’d just be a yoyo that can adequately pull off and execute the modern 2023 trickset. To the fifth point.

5. The Competitor vs. the Casual vs. the Collector
    Yoyoing is a hobby built by several facets and subgroupings of individuals. It’s built by collectors, competitors, beginners, veterans, and everyone in between. OneDrop is basically only making yoyos for collectors right now. While it’s great to appeal to collectors, collectors aren’t the lifeblood of this community. We can argue numbers all we want, but a yoyo with broader appeal will always inevitably sell better than something like the Fat Tire, which exclusively appeals to people who just want something wildly different from the “norm” (which in and of itself is a bad argument that neglects so many tiny details about yoyo design, play, and play feel that I’m not even going to get into right now). OneDrop is entitled to its identity as a “casual” brand, but I’d argue that after a certain point, OneDrop is ostracizing a sizeable portion of the community with this label and their refusal to even try to compete anymore. To an extent, they’re not just ignoring the competitive scene anymore, they’re ignoring the part of yoyoing that simply just likes adequately performant yoyos. Not even strictly competitors, just yoyoers that have a preference towards and tend to enjoy yoyos with performant qualities. Half the reason they don’t have appeal to people who want a “performant” yoyo is because they’re just not really trying anymore.

What can be done about any of these?

Solution to 1: Shake up releases. I recognize a cash flow is needed, but there are other yoyos people want. Bring old stuff that people would love out of the vault and give it a re-release like the TopDeck. TopDeck absolutely popped off when it got re-released. Yoyo history and nostalgia are trendy right now, capitalize on it. Go through the old CAD file folder and find some stuff to split up the Terrarians, Fat Tires, and Deepstate releases.

Solution to 2: Stagger weird releases more in tandem with re-releasing old stuff. Give us small releases of Gradients, VTWOs, Virtuosos, etc. spliced with the odd fat tire run so people have the “quirky” option and the “standard” option.

Solution to 3, 4, and 5: MAKE A PERFORMANT YOYO. Do some market research and design analysis of other trendy current performant yoyos (Protip; wide and rim weighted) design one, test it, and release it. If necessary, even reach out to designers who have experience designing these sorts of yoyos to really make something great. ONE yoyo can fix so many of these problems. The Wyvern was a step in the right direction, we just need MORE, a bit better execution, and a full emphasis on performance and competition. This could be a great time to make a Format: C 2023. A performant yoyo with side effects hasn’t been done since 2017 so clearly, there’s a big enough gap in the market to do that as well. Maybe it’s time to make a Code 3 perhaps?

But why does it matter? If they sell yoyos and make money, who really cares?

Simple: In 2023 OneDrop is falling behind. If a consumer wants a competitively oriented or “performant” yoyo, it’s genuinely to the point where they’re arguably just not considered.

Just to emphasize again: THIS IS NOT A HIT PIECE. THIS IS NOT A DRAMA PIECE. OneDrop is NOT problematic, rude, outrageous, or in any way harmful. It just sucks that I as a consumer cannot consider them as an option anymore.

Time to discuss this in one thread.

14 Likes

oh nah

luv u gingie

7 Likes

OneDrop makes yoyos that they think are cool.

Customers that want to buy them, buy them.

Why does every yoyo company have to serve every yoyoer? There are enough yoyo companies to almost be a 1 to 1 match with every yoyoer at this point.

We all make a V, an H, an O, a W, and various hybrids.

Some people buy them. Others buy another brand’s V/W/H/O. Some buy multiple.

Not all yoyos exist for competition. Some exist to look pretty. Some for fun. Some because “what if we did this”.

With respect, hyper analyzing them all is pointless.

I want people who design yoyos to make things they think are cool. And share those things. It’s like art to me. Occasionally, it’s also about performance. There are a lot of ways to enjoy yoyos.

16 Likes

Idk this all seem like your pulling at something that doesn’t need to be pulled at. I’m gonna play devils advocate to your arguments a tad because they boil down to a customer demanding they are right in the end and that’s never held well to me.

If one drops realized it’s more profitable to just do smaller staggered collector and casual releases then more power to them. They license out the side effect someone else will fill the (performance) gap. Not every company needs to do everything. They made yo-yos you like maybe they are done doing that now or they just don’t see anything they can contribute that someone else isn’t already doing. There are so many performance yo-yos on the market today why further saturate it when “quirky /gimmicky” yo-yos tend to sell well in small batches without the need for distribution and extra reduction of margins.

9 Likes

Solution 6 could possible be: shop another brand.

I’m not being uncivil, just suggesting if you don’t like their current portfolio… shop elsewhere. Vote with your dollars.

Enough people are buying the yoyos you’re not interested in to keep the brand happy, so far as we can tell. They can’t be everything to everyone.

6 Likes

So when are we getting the thread begging Mr. Kentaro Kimura Turning Point to release a 63g V shaped bimetal?

/s

He did he just made it 76 grams on accident :sob:

One drop is those Yoyo companies I love with all of my heart, it was the company that got me started yo-yoing in the first place as well as you ging. It does hurt that ever since most of the star players like mark, Paul, even extreme competitors like Ethan and vilmos, aren’t really being too much in terms of, testing yo-yos, and seeing it’s potential, yo-yos like the cascade is one tested by the team entirely, even most of their old school yo-yos are competition oriented, like the format c and code 2, the project 2 even being used by gentry stein in 2010 BAC. I do think there is hope for OD, it’s just that, from the many people I spoke with, gathering opinions, they all centralize on one objective, that od should listen to the Yoyo community, to ask the community what they would like, bringing back old best selling models and making new performance geared yo-yos for newer players to enjoy what One drop really is made of!

It’s the matter if od will someday open their hearts and give back that community involvement that we have been longing for years.

One drop will remain memorable forever in our hearts

For the players.

5 Likes

This thread, seems to me, to violate the spirit of our community etiquette.

11 Likes

I just ran out of popcorn, no lie. True story. I’m going to the store!!!

5 Likes

I also bet some of this is the vocal minority in play. Someone’s out there buying OD drops till they sell out every time. The opinions in the community you gathered are probably of a similar mindset to your own which just puts them in a silo. Doesn’t mean there right just means your circles think similar to you.

2 Likes

It’s great to want a company to sell something that you wish they would make. But most small companies would love to have a product that has 60-100 units sell out in 2 minutes. To me that sounds like a very successful company.

7 Likes

In all seriousness I feel … mildly qualified and obligated at this point to weigh in on this one.

Frankly I feel like a lot of this has gotten to be a bit much, onedrop has been doing amazing things for the yoyo community for over 15 years now, and was one of the driving forces back in the late 2000s. Yet, with all of this backlog and reputation they’re getting absolutely lambasted and raked through the coals on this one.

I think the criticism comes from a place of love, like some of us more competitive oriented players want to own a competition-level onedrop throw that stacks up to other offerings. But, y’all gotta remember they’re humans.

I do think it’s quite ridiculous that we haven’t seen a re-run of any of the traditional onedrop competition throws in a long time though. Pls more 5kqvs/valors (5kqv boosted 2.0?? vthree? (vtwo very sharp :frowning: ) :exploding_head: )

4 Likes

One of my most anticipated releases of all time was the Valor and it sure delivered. One of the best monometals that had ever been made at the time imo. I was super hype with the VTWO when it was announced too. The purple I got looked so clean. I have great memories of the MC, Code 2, Summit, and Rally too.

Good times :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

Valor is still in my top 5 OD throws for sure. Was super stoked when I got one direct from Vilmos.

1 Like

Personally I have been since like 2020 at least. I don’t really like this take because it boils down to “go kick rocks and cope” as if OneDrop somehow isn’t capable. Rather ostracizing imo, and as I said in the thread, it leaves out a sizeable portion of potential and real fans to just “find another brand” :man_shrugging:

Consider this a reply to the majority of your post just on a smaller scale because I’m going through and answering all of these one by one. A lot of this is fair and understandable, but most of it misses the message of the thread and I’d mostly like to focus on the quoted bit. As I said before, it leaves out a sizeable portion of potential and real fans to just “find another brand” :man_shrugging:

This discussion would’ve been brought up again and again in other threads just to clog up where it’s not even relevant. Lets start another “US Made Yoyos” thread and start a counter before OD gets brought up and this conversation happens again anyway :skull: besides, if you read the thread I very clearly clarify that OD isn’t evil, bad, malicious, etc. Nothing wrong with centralizing a discussion people seem to want to have anyways.

As long as we stay civil, at least. Don’t make me eat my words :sob:

5 Likes

I’ll be perfectly honest: I only own one OD yoyo and it’s a Fat Tire that was gifted to me. Do I hate OD? Absolutely not. Do I love Good Life and General Yo too much? YOU KNOW ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

1 Like

I agree,

16 Likes