One Year of Throwing

In May of 2018 I bought a Duncan Butterfly as an impulse buy at a craft store, and instantly I was hooked. Here’s a video kinda showing how far I’ve gotten in my first year of throwing. Nothing great, but I had fun making it.

29 Likes

Nice!!! You should be proud of your skill level at one year in!!!

6 Likes

I wish my learning curve was that good for only one year.

Nice skills.

10 Likes

Lookin great brother!

6 Likes

That beefhook was pretty spicy :fire:

6 Likes

Thank you everyone!

3 Likes

Very cool. My question to others, is this typical progression? I’m just starting and wonder if I can expect to be at this level in a year. Either way, it is a nice goal to have. You have done well.

4 Likes

It depends on your commitment to improve, but the most important thing is that you are enjoying yoyoing!

2 Likes

1 year of throwing and Beefhook was just 1 of your tricks…and here I am with over 10 years of throwing and still can’t hit that beefhook yet.

Keep up the good work, your trick execution is very smooth.

5 Likes

I’ve thrown pretty much every day since that first day, anywhere from maybe just 5 minutes to a few hours. I just tried to pick it up and work on something at least a little bit each day. Then all those little pieces just start to add up over time.

4 Likes

I would say nowadays this is about average one year progression for someone that’s relatively young and plays semi-regularly.

Still really solid @shatterFX. I think the biggest hurdle from mediocrity and an intermediate player to proficiency and an advanced player is clean smooth play. Even though your tricks aren’t super technical or advanced, being smooth and developing that flow is something that really stands out. Someone who has that but does basic tricks looks far more impressive than someone that has “tougher” more technical tricks but is very choppy. It shows that you have control and you’re comfortable yoyoing.

I will say though my motivation to learn and improve dropped a lot once I got to that point where my yoyoing is smooth, comfortable, and developing flow because… I got comfortable :joy: while I did want to learn more I was also kind of satisfied with where I had gotten so I haven’t progressed tooo much since then so I wouldn’t say I’m that much better than you despite yoyoing for 5+ years.

If you can keep that motivation to learn and grow going you’ll be really good in a year or two.

6 Likes

I definitely feel that a bit - you start to develop tricks that you enjoy doing and perfecting, that learning new stuff tends to get put on the back burner. I also obsess with getting tricks/elements to a point where I’m landing it 9 times out of 10, so I don’t learn as much different stuff that quickly. Now that I did this video though it kinda pushes me to learn new stuff so I can make another video in a year.

3 Likes

I have been yoyoing for a year and i think progression depends on many things.
I think i am on the same level as this person (he is really good btw, i cant even land some of those tricks consistently :<)

4 Likes

I bet @smileypants707 will love 0:28

2 Likes

What are you talking about?

3 Likes

He did a beef hook. I know how you hate beef hook so I was just joking around

3 Likes

Dude this trick is crazy - I’d say you’re definitely better than me

2 Likes

Great video and great yo-yoing!
It’s a nice way to mark the milestone of 1 year.

Is that the Zambezi river in the background?
:joy:

4 Likes

Great ■■■■ dude. Far ahead of where I was at one year. It was a different era though. Doing things I still can’t do and looking so smooth while doing it.

2 Likes

If you wanna talk about progression, how about this for THREE months. And this was in 2012 when there were far less resources!

I remember he had a video of his 6 months or somewhere around that but I think he deleted it, it was ridiculous. He used to be on the forums, I had never seen such progression before, He either stopped playing or got into that hole I mentioned earlier of not learning as much but I 100% would not have been surprised if he made it to the world stage if he kept serious

I believe he didn’t have any experienced players around him to teach or influence him as well. Shiz was crazy

4 Likes